U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sanfransico or Chicago
Sanfransico 75 45.45%
Chicago 90 54.55%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,170,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not to get too off-topic, but we'll see how long that lasts. The upper Midwest could become the Saudi Arabia of water within our lifetimes. There are already legal battles over who has access to Great Lakes water, the boundaries of the basin, etc.
Let's hope the Great Lakes states don't get too stingy with water, considering California has the most productive agricultural region on earth that produces at least one third of the country's produce.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:07 PM

3,567 posts, read 7,518,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not to get too off-topic, but we'll see how long that lasts. The upper Midwest could become the Saudi Arabia of water within our lifetimes. There are already legal battles over who has access to Great Lakes water, the boundaries of the basin, etc.
No, it won't.

I don't think people have any idea just how much it costs to pump water. As an example, Detroit sits in a very, very shallow valley. To pump water "up" this nearly non-existent basin and into the far northern suburbs, the assessment came to something like several million, especially when spread far out to the greater and more distant areas like Novi and Northville.

To pump water from Lake Michigan to California would be so astronomically expensive that the cost of energy alone would make the state uninhabitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Let's hope the Great Lakes states don't get too stingy with water, considering California has the most productive agricultural region on earth that produces at least one third of the country's produce.
Well, we'll be fine. California should be allowed to what it was before we wasted so much water on sand.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:04 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,691,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
People must realize how huge Chicagoland is. Even though the Bya Area seems like amore interesting place and with more cities...it gives u the idea that the Bay Area is less isolated than Chicagoland. The reality is Chicagoland is larger and more populous than the Bay Area. I don't understand why people associate Chicago with the farms nearby making it seem boring and uninteresting. There's 10 million ppl living there!
People associate Chicago with farms like they associate Texas with cowboys. Both generalizations are way off.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
No, it won't.

I don't think people have any idea just how much it costs to pump water. As an example, Detroit sits in a very, very shallow valley. To pump water "up" this nearly non-existent basin and into the far northern suburbs, the assessment came to something like several million, especially when spread far out to the greater and more distant areas like Novi and Northville.

To pump water from Lake Michigan to California would be so astronomically expensive that the cost of energy alone would make the state uninhabitable.

Well, we'll be fine. California should be allowed to what it was before we wasted so much water on sand.
Yeah so the best way to get fresh drinking water or irrigation water is to use nearby rivers, lakes or ground water. Here in Texas we have a big underground aquifer that supplies drinking water and irrigation water. Texas also has a lot of rivers and lakes. Creating a big, nearby lake would probably be more cost effective than desalination or transporting water from another area.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
I've told that to him dozens of times.
You are obviously confused because you have never told this to me.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:42 PM

766 posts, read 1,585,566 times
Let's get back on topic seriously.

San Francisco is a wonderful city but its very expensive. I think San Francisco's high cost has a lot to do with its limited space since the vast majority of the city os built and has no where else to expand but vertical.

Chicago is a wonderful city, but more affordable. The downside is that Chicago has more poor people and thus a higher crime rate...but the city is huge that there are also plenty good neighborhoods as well.

That's the entire picture summed up. Best place to raise kids? Depends on you and ur financial situation. If I was really rich, I'd live in the Upper East Side in Manhattan lol.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:02 PM

318 posts, read 237,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
So true. It is extremely annoying when people think winter starts in October. I live in Wisconsin, and I don't really think of winter starting until December. Granted, November can have cold and snow, but often snow holds off until December. I would say we have 3 months of hard winter - not five. November can be more like fall, and March is often the start of spring - depending on the year. My older daughter's birthday is March 20 (first day of Spring), and I remember many of her birthdays when we had very mild temps and no snow on the ground at all.
When we talk about rasing kids you have to realize it is not about the snow but rather long frigid winters and the windchill factor that makes it imposible for young kids to stay outside for too long.
San Fran climate is much more suitable for young kids.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
California as a *STATE* is the most agriculturally productive. The real argicultural backbone of this country is in the flatlands of the Midwest. The grain produced in the area feeds 2 billion people.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:14 PM

94 posts, read 249,872 times
Quote:
When we talk about rasing kids you have to realize it is not about the snow but rather long frigid winters and the windchill factor that makes it imposible for young kids to stay outside for too long.
San Fran climate is much more suitable for young kids.
What that quote was implying was that since there was no snow on the ground, the temperature was above freezing (32F), which isn't frigid at all. Unless of course your kids are wimps

Old 06-28-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago14 View Post
What that quote was implying was that since there was no snow on the ground, the temperature was above freezing (32F), which isn't frigid at all. Unless of course your kids are wimps
Boston and New York have cold winters, Chicago is no different. Why is it that when cities like New York and Boston are concerned, no one really complains about cold winters with snow? But when CHICAGO is the subject here, the cold switch is turned on and people complain "ahh Chicago is frigid!" Seriously, its not Greenland or northern Canada, and it is far more comparable to winter conditions in the East Coast. Wind is a factor in Chicago, but seriosuly it is NOT that much colder than New York and probably on equal footing with Boston. So save winter complains for cities like Yellowknife, Canada. I am not directing this at you but to the wimps.

Last edited by Libohove90; 06-28-2009 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or