U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Sanfransico or Chicago
Sanfransico 75 45.45%
Chicago 90 54.55%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 AM
 
2,155 posts, read 2,667,556 times
Reputation: 2604

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Yes, farms are bad for any city. Farms and cities do not really come together. I take sprawl over farms encroaching on a city, any time.
finalcut, I don't think it's farms that are doing the encroaching-- farms are being enchroached upon by urban sprawl.

Anway, thanks for at least answering the question.

 
Old 06-29-2009, 09:42 AM
 
318 posts, read 249,814 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
finalcut, I don't think it's farms that are doing the encroaching-- farms are being enchroached upon by urban sprawl.

Anway, thanks for at least answering the question.
I do not mind the sprawl as it is a part of American urban experience.
Europe has different density and is much older than the US so the sprawl exsit in a different form of satellite cities or densely populated suburbs ( a little bit like New York with Northern NJ cities). I think fams and cities do not coexist not only because of my admiration for the cities but also because cities are big pollutants so eating crops from farms in close vicinity of any big aglomaration is not really healthy. Cities and farms need buffer zones between them and greens/ forests or suburban sprawl offers just that.
 
Old 06-29-2009, 09:46 AM
 
2,155 posts, read 2,667,556 times
Reputation: 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
I do not mind the sprawl as it is a part of American urban experience.
Europe has different density and is much older than the US so the sprawl exsit in a different form of satellite cities or densely populated suburbs ( a little bit like New York with Northern NJ cities). I think fams and cities do not coexist not only because of my admiration for the cities but also because cities are big pollutants so eating crops from farms in close vicinity of any big aglomaration is not really healthy. Cities and farms need buffer zones between them and greens/ forests or suburban sprawl offers just that.
This is a Sarah Palin paragraph.
 
Old 06-29-2009, 09:49 AM
 
318 posts, read 249,814 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
This is a Sarah Palin paragraph.
Why don't you try to stay on-topic?
 
Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Chicago
94 posts, read 254,541 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
see ...thats the whole "wannabe macho" attitude midwesterners/hokey people present themselves as that Californians could care less about. "wimps"? are u kidding me? is this a strong man competition? whats soooo bad about not liking frigid snow? rain all the time?
Wasn't trying to be macho at all.

All I can say is that I was born and raised here, received a great education through my school system, and some of my fondest memories are having a blast playing in the snow in December with my dad and my friends. I couldn't imagine Christmas as a kid any other way without snow on the ground. At no point did I ever feel that my school system was lacking- in fact it was quite the opposite. I did well enough to get into the University of Illinois, a great state school, did well there, and now I'm back in Chicago taking advantage of all it has to offer once again, but this time as an adult. At NO point in my life in Chicago have I ever been mugged, harmed, or felt threatened walking down the street.

I can't speak for Saaaaan Fraaaan but I'm sure it can be a great place growing up as well. Just don't rule Chicago out.

BTW LANightmare I'll have you know that the Chicago accent differs quite a bit from the typical midwestern accent. It doesn't sound pretty to outsiders, I'll leave it at that actually I don't even think it's as bad as Valley girl accent. UGH!
 
Old 06-29-2009, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Chicago
94 posts, read 254,541 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
I do not mind the sprawl as it is a part of American urban experience.
Europe has different density and is much older than the US so the sprawl exsit in a different form of satellite cities or densely populated suburbs ( a little bit like New York with Northern NJ cities). I think fams and cities do not coexist not only because of my admiration for the cities but also because cities are big pollutants so eating crops from farms in close vicinity of any big aglomaration is not really healthy. Cities and farms need buffer zones between them and greens/ forests or suburban sprawl offers just that.
I don't understand your argument at all....there is plenty of sprawl in Chicagoland...there are millions of people residing in suburbs between the city and farmland. There are no farms coexisting with the city....you have to go out past Aurora, which is about 30 miles west of Chicago before you can even see any farmland.
 
Old 06-29-2009, 09:55 AM
 
2,155 posts, read 2,667,556 times
Reputation: 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Why don't you try to stay on-topic?
not sure what it is after your last post. You're the one who started talking about European cities. What does that have to do with Chi and SF urban growth?
 
Old 06-29-2009, 09:56 AM
 
2,601 posts, read 4,077,212 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
see ...thats the whole "wannabe macho" attitude midwesterners/hokey people present themselves as that Californians could care less about. "wimps"? are u kidding me? is this a strong man competition? whats soooo bad about not liking frigid snow? rain all the time?

is a polar bear a wimp because it cant survive in the desert? is a camel a wimp because it cant survive in antarctica?


SF wins this...and please chic'ans stop saying "San Fran" (Sahhn Fraaahn...i can just hear it now your harsh midwestern accent drawing out the a's ..yuck)
Pretty classy post.
 
Old 06-29-2009, 09:57 AM
 
2,601 posts, read 4,077,212 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago14 View Post
I don't understand your argument at all....there is plenty of sprawl in Chicagoland...there are millions of people residing in suburbs between the city and farmland. There are no farms coexisting with the city....you have to go out past Aurora, which is about 30 miles west of Chicago before you can even see any farmland.
Shhhhh. You don't want to rob them of their stereotypical ideas. They cling to them dearly.
 
Old 06-29-2009, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,519,176 times
Reputation: 4055
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Yes, farms are bad for any city. Farms and cities do not really come together. I take sprawl over farms encroaching on a city, any time.
How the heck are farms bad for a city? As mentioned before, it's urban sprawl encroaching on farms, not the other way around.

You said you'd rather have suburbs as a "buffer-zone" between cities and farms...however in a per-capita sense, suburbs are much more polluted than cities.

It's perfectly fine to have farms near/in cities...Amsterdam seems to agree with me: (thanks to AMS Guy at skyscrapercity)




In Paris, you can drive from the Louvre (basically the direct center of the city) to a farm within 12 miles...MUCH closer than any farms are to Chicago. So it's not a valid point to say farms and cities don't mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top