U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sanfransico or Chicago
Sanfransico 75 45.45%
Chicago 90 54.55%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:37 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,751,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Not really...Alaska gets up to the 70's in the summer. I'm sure it feel A LOT hotter here to them, but its not like they aren't use to sunshine..
Well Alaska is going to be cooler than Chicago in the summer but I was talking about winter time. Alaska gets a lot colder than Chicago in the winter. My point was in Chicago in winter it's not that bad. It could be a lot worse like Alaska, northern Canada, Siberia, Antarctica. Chicago winters aren't that bad. Yeah it's not near as nice as SF winters but it's not that bad.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:04 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,493,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Well Alaska is going to be cooler than Chicago in the summer but I was talking about winter time. Alaska gets a lot colder than Chicago in the winter. My point was in Chicago in winter it's not that bad. It could be a lot worse like Alaska, northern Canada, Siberia, Antarctica. Chicago winters aren't that bad. Yeah it's not near as nice as SF winters but it's not that bad.
Well it is cold, it is something you get used to... The first winter I spent in Chicago... I was like holyyyy crap this is cold... but, the next few winters were a piece of cake and I acclimated and actually enjoyed it.

If you live in the city and use public transportation it becomes not much of a problem at all.

San Francisco has nice weather, but doesn't really have much of what most people consider a winter, nor a summer. (note you can go inland and it will be very hot)

Sometimes summer and winter can be fun ya know...? San Francisco is like constant spring/fall temps.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Well it is cold, it is something you get used to... The first winter I spent in Chicago... I was like holyyyy crap this is cold... but, the next few winters were a piece of cake and I acclimated and actually enjoyed it.

If you live in the city and use public transportation it becomes not much of a problem at all.

San Francisco has nice weather, but doesn't really have much of what most people consider a winter, nor a summer. (note you can go inland and it will be very hot)

Sometimes summer and winter can be fun ya know...? San Francisco is like constant spring/fall temps.
Yeah San Francisco is great if you like a nice, even temperature all year round. It's always nice outside. If you like the four seasons because you get bored with the same stuff all the time then SF is not for you just speaking about the weather that is. Yeah even in the UP of MI which gets quite a bit colder than Chicago I never felt it was that bad. It just depends on how easy you get cold. I get hot easy but it's hard for me to get cold. So I can handle just about all the cold weather you can throw at me but the hot weather is another story. I've never liked the hot weather. Thank God for AC. Down here in Houston and south Texas in general most people disagree with me on this. They prefer the hot weather to the cold weather. They would much rather have Houston's summer than Minneapolis's winter. I don't care too much about the hot or cold weather because these days we spend 99% of our time indoors. We have heaters for the winter and the AC for the summer. So it doesn't matter what the weather is outside it's always SF inside.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:18 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,493,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Yeah San Francisco is great if you like a nice, even temperature all year round. It's always nice outside. If you like the four seasons because you get bored with the same stuff all the time then SF is not for you just speaking about the weather that is. Yeah even in the UP of MI which gets quite a bit colder than Chicago I never felt it was that bad. It just depends on how easy you get cold. I get hot easy but it's hard for me to get cold. So I can handle just about all the cold weather you can throw at me but the hot weather is another story. I've never liked the hot weather. Thank God for AC. Down here in Houston and south Texas in general most people disagree with me on this. They prefer the hot weather to the cold weather. They would much rather have Houston's summer than Minneapolis's winter. I don't care too much about the hot or cold weather because these days we spend 99% of our time indoors. We have heaters for the winter and the AC for the summer. So it doesn't matter what the weather is outside it's always SF inside.
I know what you mean... I grew up in FL until I could get out, and just had another 6 month stint there to remind me of how much of a distaste I have for hot/humid weather. Coastal California in general is the best consistently perfect weather year round.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:24 PM

2,958 posts, read 5,649,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I know what you mean... I grew up in FL until I could get out, and just had another 6 month stint there to remind me of how much of a distaste I have for hot/humid weather. Coastal California in general is the best consistently perfect weather year round.
I fully agree. For me I can't see what's not to like about it.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:20 PM

32,260 posts, read 54,969,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I just got back today from a business trip to Vietnam-stepping out of the terminal at SFO onto the curbside this morning and feeling the cool air on my face was exhilirating.

Definitey no place like this home.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
That's why coastal California is so expensive. People are paying for the near perfect weather. They're paying for the good scenery. They're also paying for other things. A few years ago I went to the SF/San Jose area. I stayed in San Ramon. Man San Ramon kicks a**! The landscaping there was totally awesome. I have never seen landscaping that good anywhere before. There were tons of flowers and cool looking trees planted along the streets. When I got back to Houston I was like D*** Houston has a lot to be desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or