Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sanfransico or Chicago
Sanfransico 75 45.45%
Chicago 90 54.55%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 05:10 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Try a 30°F variance in temperatures over a distance of 27 miles or a 15°F variance over a distance of 7 miles within the same city, smart guy.
Hey, it's 65°F today in SF and only 68°F in San Jose.

Not even close to being a micro-climate.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-20-2009 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: language

Old 06-20-2009, 06:27 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post

And you prove once again that you do not understand the concept of microclimates. Good job

"San Francisco" and "San Jose" are not microclimates. They both encompass many different microclimates within their borders (SJ not nearly so much as SF and other areas closer to the coast). The Bay Area as a whole encompasses many microclimates. You can be in foggy, windy, 50 degree weather at the beach in SF, take a 30 minutes bus ride 6 miles to the east, and you're in sunny 70 degree weather. You can be enjoying a pleasant 65 degree day in SF, then drive 30 miles into the East Bay, and have 80 degree weather. Those are microclimates. They are caused by the varied topography in the Bay Area, in combination with the constant clash of cool pacific ocean air and warm california air.

Read it over a couple times and retain the information, so we can stop repeating ourselves.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-20-2009 at 08:15 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 06:50 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
I would pick Chicago just because I've lived there much of my life, however I do love San Francisco.

San Francisco beats Chicago in the weather department (though I do prefer Chicago's summer and autumn because they're beautiful), scenery department, and it also beats Chicago in various cultural aspects such as Asian cultures and it certainly is more "unique" and "out there" than Chicago. But I believe Chicago has friendlier people, better nightlife, more of a down to earth feel, and is just overall much more livable, as it's SO much cheaper (though it isn't cheap). Chicago seems to have a bit better transportation as well, though San Francisco's is the best in the West.

Plus I just couldn't live in a city with so many hills all over the place.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:56 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
I love Chicago... never desired SF

Old 06-20-2009, 08:45 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Hey numb nuts, it's 65°F today in SF and only 68°F in San Jose.

You know its really not necessary to make yourself look this dumb. You could just stay quiet and learn something.

Are you seriously trying to argue against a widely-known fact that the Bay Area has micro-climates?? Are you really this dense? I'll say this as clearly as I can for you, so TRY to keep up.

Picking 2 random cities that are 50 miles apart yet have similar temperatures is a sorry attempt at disproving the existence of micro-climates in that region. Of course SOME cities will have similar or even the exact same temperatures! Who said SF and SJ are the ONLY parts of the Bay we are talking about here, genius??

And who said that today was a perfect example of the micro-climates we're discussing??? It varies; is this too difficult of a concept for you? SOME days the temperature is pretty close across the entire region, while others will have the variation we are talking about. I can't understand why you insist on showing us how you know nothing about what you're speaking on.

And way to pick 2 arbitrary locations as your only supposed evidence to back up your idiotic claim. But if you want to look at today to state your case why don't you look at the varying temps right now near Huddart Park and Redwood City. Its currently 46°F by the Phleger Estate next to Huddart Park and 62°F in Redwood. (That's a 16°F difference in case you struggle as badly in math too.) Those two locations are only 7.5 miles apart by car driving down winding roads, and even closer in actual distance. How about the current temps of 57°F by SFO and 71°F in North Berkeley?? They're only 25 miles apart with a 14°F variation. Are you getting this???

And the links that were posted earlier showed a much wider variance between SF and SJ on 3 out of the 4 days shown, further proving our point. Funny how you only commented on the 1 out of 4 where the temperatures were close. How pathetic.

Here's a link to a 7-day forecast that shows the contrast between coastal cities compared to inland cities. Hopefully it'll help you to catch a clue.

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/three/kgo...ay_450x296.jpg

Old 06-20-2009, 10:16 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,319 times
I've lived in both places and I prefer Chicago. Chicago is more diverse and is a center of intellectual thought, whereas San Francisco is one-sided liberal thought. In all seriousness Chicago's positives outweigh its negatives and is overall a more livable area.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:55 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,356 times
Quote:

Weather as varied as the people / Land and fog build summer microclimates (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/07/09/MN139536.DTL - broken link)
Quote:
There are exceptions to the norm of climatic diversity - times when the microclimates are overwhelmed by large-scale weather phenomena and the differences are eliminated. San Francisco reached a scorching 101 degrees this year on May 30, at a time when most of California was under a colossal high- pressure dome of air at similar temperatures.

But normally, especially in July and August, the microclimates predominate and provide our perennial chief topic of conversation. Weather talk is common worldwide, but here it has a special quality.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:06 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times
... why is there like a 3 page discussion on microclimates??? This is about what city is best to raise a family, NOT a meteorological discussion of the two cities.

... that said there really isn't a board to discuss that on ... it's just annoying.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:09 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,356 times
Let's be real though, there obviously isn't much discussion to be had on that topic comparing these two cities. If you're upper upper middle, San Francisco wins, if you're not, go with Chicago.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:12 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,687 times
I'm "upper" and there's just no way in hell I'd ever choose San Francisco. I can certainly afford to live there without a change to my quality of living, but it isn't going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City