Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sanfransico or Chicago
Sanfransico 75 45.45%
Chicago 90 54.55%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 05:03 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Boston and New York have cold winters, Chicago is no different. Why is it that when cities like New York and Boston are concerned, no one really complains about cold winters with snow? But when CHICAGO is the subject here, the cold switch is turned on and people complain "ahh Chicago is frigid!" Seriously, its not Greenland or northern Canada, and it is far more comparable to winter conditions in the East Coast. Wind is a factor in Chicago, but seriosuly it is NOT that much colder than New York and probably on equal footing with Boston. So save ur winter complains for cities like Yellowknife, Canada.
I used to live in the upper peninsula of MI which is quite a bit colder than Chicago or Boston. I didn't think it was that bad. A lot of people complained that it was like Siberia but I didn't think it was that bad. So it just depends on how easy you get cold. A lot of people in America think the northern U.S. is too cold in the winter but I handled it like a piece of cake. So to me Chicago's winters are nothing. I bet where Sarah Palin lives it makes Chicago look like Tampa.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:39 AM

464 posts, read 1,079,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Boston and New York have cold winters, Chicago is no different. Why is it that when cities like New York and Boston are concerned, no one really complains about cold winters with snow? But when CHICAGO is the subject here, the cold switch is turned on and people complain "ahh Chicago is frigid!" Seriously, its not Greenland or northern Canada, and it is far more comparable to winter conditions in the East Coast. Wind is a factor in Chicago, but seriosuly it is NOT that much colder than New York and probably on equal footing with Boston. So save winter complains for cities like Yellowknife, Canada. I am not directing this at you but to the wimps.
People associate the snow as its colder. Otherwise on average NYC is about 2-4 degrees warmer a day.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:40 AM

464 posts, read 1,079,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
I used to live in the upper peninsula of MI which is quite a bit colder than Chicago or Boston. I didn't think it was that bad. A lot of people complained that it was like Siberia but I didn't think it was that bad. So it just depends on how easy you get cold. A lot of people in America think the northern U.S. is too cold in the winter but I handled it like a piece of cake. So to me Chicago's winters are nothing. I bet where Sarah Palin lives it makes Chicago look like Tampa.
Not really...Alaska gets up to the 70's in the summer. I'm sure it feel A LOT hotter here to them, but its not like they aren't use to sunshine..

Old 06-29-2009, 05:50 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
People associate Chicago with farms like they associate Texas with cowboys. Both generalizations are way off.
Who associates Chicago with farms?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Who associates Chicago with farms?
People from L.A. and NYC with inferiority complexes, such as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
drive 10 miles south of chic u have...

http://imgcache.allposters.com/images/RHPOD/110-11546.jpg (broken link)
On a Boston v. Chicago thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
You are pitching one the most historical areas in the US, an unmatched academic tradition with a Midwestern town where everything is less than 100 years old? Of course, Boston unless you like greasy food and want to mix with fat, obnoxious farmers.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:02 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Ya the last thing i would associate chicago with, is a farm? Chicago and farms? WTH lol

Old 06-29-2009, 09:08 AM

318 posts, read 320,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Ya the last thing i would associate chicago with, is a farm? Chicago and farms? WTH lol
Hae you been to Chicago? There may be no farms in Chicago but Illinois is mostly farmland and so there are farms very close to Chicago. Drive down on I55 and you'll see.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:10 AM

322 posts, read 800,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago14 View Post
What that quote was implying was that since there was no snow on the ground, the temperature was above freezing (32F), which isn't frigid at all. Unless of course your kids are wimps

see ...thats the whole "wannabe macho" attitude midwesterners/hokey people present themselves as that Californians could care less about. "wimps"? are u kidding me? is this a strong man competition? whats soooo bad about not liking frigid snow? rain all the time?

is a polar bear a wimp because it cant survive in the desert? is a camel a wimp because it cant survive in antarctica?

SF wins this...and please chic'ans stop saying "San Fran" (Sahhn Fraaahn...i can just hear it now your harsh midwestern accent drawing out the a's ..yuck)

Old 06-29-2009, 09:18 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Hae you been to Chicago? There may be no farms in Chicago but Illinois is mostly farmland and so there are farms very close to Chicago. Drive down on I55 and you'll see.
Are you basically stating that there is something wrong with farms? Chicago is in Illinois and there are a lot of farms. San Francisco is in California and there are even more farms.

What is your point? Farms are bad? In ANY city, the only way the dense core is going to be removed from farms is through a barrier, whether man-made or natural. In most cases, that "barrier" is suburban sprawl. Are you a proponent of sprawl?

San Francisco just happens to be on a peninsula so it is more isolated, but drive north or go west of Oakland and tell me what you find. Farms perhaps? You surely would not give up NAPA would you?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:21 AM

318 posts, read 320,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Are you basically stating that there is something wrong with farms? Chicago is in Illinois and there are a lot of farms. San Francisco is in California and there are even more farms.

What is your point? Farms are bad? In ANY city, the only way the dense core is going to be removed from farms is through a barrier, whether man-made or natural. In most cases, that "barrier" is suburban sprawl. Are you a proponent of sprawl?

San Francisco just happens to be on a peninsula so it is more isolated, but drive north or go west of Oakland and tell me what you find. Farms perhaps? You surely would not give up NAPA would you?
Yes, farms are bad for any city. Farms and cities do not really come together. I take sprawl over farms encroaching on a city, any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City