U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of this city has the third best skyline?
Seattle 163 23.22%
Phildephia 89 12.68%
Los angeles 38 5.41%
Pittsburgh 52 7.41%
Houston 103 14.67%
San francisco 137 19.52%
Atlanta 60 8.55%
Boston 14 1.99%
Denver 23 3.28%
Dallas 23 3.28%
Voters: 702. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:41 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,376,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
O.K. here is my opinion.

Biggest Skyline
1) Miami
2) Houston
3) Los Angeles
4) San Fran
5) Philly
6) Atlanta
7) Dallas
8) Seattle
Atlanta's skyline is bigger than Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. It's comparable, or close to Houston and Miami.

Quote:
Tallest Buildings
1) Houston
2) Miami
3) Los Angeles
4) Dallas
5) Atlanta
6) Seattle
7) Philly
8) San Fran
Atlanta has the tallest building outside of New York and Chicago. It has taller buildings than Dallas, LA, Miami, and Houston. However, Houston does have a lot of height, so it could be comparable for a skyline overall.

Quote:
Densest
1) San Fran
2) Philly
3) Seattle
4) Los Angeles
5) Houston
6) Dallas
7) Miami
8) Atlanta
Atlanta has had a lot of infill, and its downtown isn't exactly sparse. However, admittedly, some of the cities above are more dense.

Quote:
overall
1) Houston
2) Miami
3) San Fran
4) Seattle
5) Los Angeles
6) Dallas
7) Philly
8) Atlanta
Overall? Atlanta is much better than Philly, Dallas, LA, Seattle, and San Francisco. I've been to all these cities, and it is so blatant obvious. Houston does have a large "wow" factor, though, so it's comparable, somewhat. Miami is also developing a "wow" factor from the sheer number of buildings.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:47 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,376,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
Speaking of an inability to notice the obvious, have you looked at the results of the poll lately?

I'm just sayin'....
Poll results are skewed by things such as television, which "Frasier" gave reps for Seattle for, I don't know, about seven years. The Seattle skyline is the most overrated skyline, and most people who have been to Seattle would admit it.

I also highly doubt that most people have actually seen these skylines in person, meaning that they haven't traveled. They're relying on a quick, glammed-up picture and are voting with a lot of "brownshirt" mentality. It's kind of like people who voted for John McCain because the media said he was the "front runner", yet Ron Paul was and is a far superior candidate. People want to be apart of the "winning team", so they'll vote in ridiculous ways.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:44 AM

823 posts, read 2,473,655 times
Smile Seattle Skyline

The Seattle skyline looks very pretty even though it is not very large mostly because it sits on top of a hill. Now imagine what some of these other cities skylines would look like if they were propped up by a hill.

Believe me if the seattle skyline was sitting on some flat inland plain with no mountain behind it nobody would even notice it.

I used to ride the ferry from Bremerton to Seattle all the time and loved the view of the skyline from the ferry. I would go outside and fight the cold and consistant rain just to get a glimpse.

Now I live in Houston and believe me the Seattle skyline is no where near a massive as Houstons. I have also visited Dallas, Atlanta and San Fran and they deffinitely have much more of a skyline that Seattle. Also Miami has a much larger skyline than Seattle.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:50 AM

823 posts, read 2,473,655 times
Smile I stand corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Atlanta's skyline is bigger than Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. It's comparable, or close to Houston and Miami.

Atlanta has the tallest building outside of New York and Chicago. It has taller buildings than Dallas, LA, Miami, and Houston. However, Houston does have a lot of height, so it could be comparable for a skyline overall.

Atlanta has had a lot of infill, and its downtown isn't exactly sparse. However, admittedly, some of the cities above are more dense.

Overall? Atlanta is much better than Philly, Dallas, LA, Seattle, and San Francisco. I've been to all these cities, and it is so blatant obvious. Houston does have a large "wow" factor, though, so it's comparable, somewhat. Miami is also developing a "wow" factor from the sheer number of buildings.
I stand coprrected, Atlanta should be higher on the list because it does have the tallest building outside Chicago and New York and has a bigger skyline than Philly and Dallas. Thank you for the info and I will make the approriate changes

Old 05-05-2008, 08:27 AM

5,257 posts, read 12,572,102 times
Quote:
Poll results are skewed by things such as television, which "Frasier" gave reps for Seattle for, I don't know, about seven years. The Seattle skyline is the most overrated skyline, and most people who have been to Seattle would admit it.

I also highly doubt that most people have actually seen these skylines in person, meaning that they haven't traveled. They're relying on a quick, glammed-up picture and are voting with a lot of "brownshirt" mentality. It's kind of like people who voted for John McCain because the media said he was the "front runner", yet Ron Paul was and is a far superior candidate. People want to be apart of the "winning team", so they'll vote in ridiculous ways.
I have in fact seen all of the skylines on the poll and Seattle is #3 in my book. My voting had absolutely nothing to do with Frazier. I've never even seen the show and I now live in Seattle. It is where it is and there's nothing you can do about that. Seattle's skyline is even more beautiful in person. Atlanta's tallest is hideous imo. It has some attractive buildings but overall I don't even think its in the top 5. So beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 AM

4,272 posts, read 7,198,234 times
Quote:
Dude. You have to chill out with the hubris about Atlanta. Most people are respectfully disagreeing with each other about their favorite skylines and sharing pictures for everyone to enjoy. Saying something along the lines of "OMG, Atlanta is SO much better, and you're dumb/lack logical capabilities if you don't see this," doesn't make anyone more inclined to agree with you. Aside from that, what you continually fail to grasp is that biggest/tallest does not necessarily mean better for everyone. I personally rank architecture, density, cohesiveness, and surroundings (Seattle, San Fran, Philadelphia, Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc.) much higher than I do simply quantity, modernity, or tallness of buildings (Houston, Atlanta, Miami, etc.), and I'm certainly not alone in that regard. That said, you have a right to your opinion, but please -- it's really immature to slight others that don't agree with you.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:24 AM

1,992 posts, read 5,924,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
The Seattle skyline looks very pretty even though it is not very large mostly because it sits on top of a hill. Now imagine what some of these other cities skylines would look like if they were propped up by a hill.

Believe me if the seattle skyline was sitting on some flat inland plain with no mountain behind it nobody would even notice it.

I used to ride the ferry from Bremerton to Seattle all the time and loved the view of the skyline from the ferry. I would go outside and fight the cold and consistant rain just to get a glimpse.

Now I live in Houston and believe me the Seattle skyline is no where near a massive as Houstons. I have also visited Dallas, Atlanta and San Fran and they deffinitely have much more of a skyline that Seattle. Also Miami has a much larger skyline than Seattle.
Part of the reason why the skyline is not that tall is because of FAA restrictions, and also because of zoning restrictions that limit the height of buildings that would obstruct views of Mt. Rainier and Puget Sound. What I am trying to say is that if Seattle had been developed inland on a plain, the skyline probably would have turned out much different, and wouldn't been seen as "relying" on hills to improve it's stature. It's silly to speculate how a skyline would fare in a different physical environment, because the environment is mostly responsible for how a skyline is shaped.

Last edited by toughguy; 05-05-2008 at 09:33 AM..

Old 05-05-2008, 11:48 AM

82 posts, read 105,402 times
Minneapolis,MN all the way!

http://images27.fotki.com/v973/photo...x20Edit-vi.jpg

Old 05-05-2008, 11:55 AM

2,796 posts, read 5,364,113 times
Des Moines.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:08 PM

31,598 posts, read 53,157,788 times
Quote:
Actually,
I think its more comparable, or closer to Los Angeles.

As of today, According to Emporis.com

Number of buildings 300' or taller
Houston 101
San Francisco 85
Miami 67
Los Angeles 62
Atlanta 59
Philadelphia 58
Dallas 54
Boston 49
Seattle 40
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or