Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of this city has the third best skyline?
Seattle 163 23.22%
Phildephia 89 12.68%
Los angeles 38 5.41%
Pittsburgh 52 7.41%
Houston 103 14.67%
San francisco 137 19.52%
Atlanta 60 8.55%
Boston 14 1.99%
Denver 23 3.28%
Dallas 23 3.28%
Voters: 702. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:32 PM

573 posts, read 1,352,493 times

Advertisements

Third best us skyline has to be Los Angeles in my opinion.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:16 PM

93 posts, read 157,418 times
Seatlle
Even though by no means is the third largest or more dense skyline in the US
it's a pretty photogenic skyline

Old 07-17-2012, 11:42 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,683,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Interesting. Most peoples' opinions seems to be very positive about CC's addition to the skyline; I personally think it really ties all of the other major skyscrapers together very well. To each their own, though.

I think Min-Chi-Cbus had the right idea in terms of trying to separate scenery from architecture. Obviously Philly's Delaware/Schuylkill Rivers cannot compete with Mt. Ranier or the San Francisco Bay as natural backdrops, but I think its highrise architecture has far more texture and depth than both Seattle and SF.
Liberty Place was Philly's iconic skyscraper, with its spire and it being strategically located in the heart of downtown. Like in Chicago, it's the Sears Tower and in NYC is the Empire State building (or the Chrysler Building).

No building should surpass the iconic skyscraper with a spire unless it's done right IMO.

Detroit skyline is/was somewhat similar to Philly's with the Penobscot Building (just shorter and a bit smaller).

Philly's skyline is just tacky now with CC being taller than Liberty Place. It looks like it was literally plopped down without any foresight and it's not only annoying but distracting.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:45 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,598,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Liberty Place was Philly's iconic skyscraper, with its spire and it being strategically located in the heart of downtown. Like in Chicago, it's the Sears Tower and in NYC is the Empire State building (or the Chrysler Building).

No building should surpass the iconic skyscraper with a spire unless it's done right IMO.

Detroit skyline is/was somewhat similar to Philly's with the Penobscot Building (just shorter and a bit smaller).

Philly's skyline is just tacky now with CC being taller than Liberty Place. It looks like it was literally plopped down without any foresight and it's not only annoying but distracting.
Really? Most people love Comcast Center. I myself think it is gorgeous modern architecture. Not only that, but it has perfect placement in the skyline creating a perfect conical shape while simultaneously uniting the other tallest buildings in Philly perfectly. Where as before there seemed to be a gap between Three Logan Square and the BYN Mellon Center.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Really? Most people love Comcast Center. I myself think it is gorgeous modern architecture. Not only that, but it has perfect placement in the skyline creating a perfect conical shape while simultaneously uniting the other tallest buildings in Philly perfectly. Where as before there seemed to be a gap between Three Logan Square and the BYN Mellon Center.
The height of CC is what bothers me.

It should not overtake Liberty Place, which is what it does. Until CC was built, Philly had the perfect height alignment of its skyscraper, and CC just throw it out of proportion.

That's just my opinion though.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:55 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,598,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The height of CC is what bothers me.

It should not over-take Liberty Place, which is what it does.

That's just my opinion though.
The height was the result of high real estate prices, the need for more office space, and the effects of LEED Certification. With LEED Certification each floor/window has to be a certain height, resulting in Comcast Center's only 60 floors but nearly 1000 feet.

In my opinion it does not overtake, take away, or subtract from Liberty Place, it only adds to it. Liberty place still has a very prominent place in the skyline.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Well first of all, that is not even a legit picture, that is a picture with renderings of the two buildings and how they would fit within the skyline.

The second building render within the picture is Mandeville Place, which is not yet built.

It is a 600 footer which has been on hold for quite some time thanks to the collapse of the real estate market and the economy in 2008. No word on when it will be built and this project/design may be dead. We'll see, as old projects from before the economic collapse are starting to thaw out all across the country.

http://philadelphia.condodomain.com/Mandeville-Place/

Second of all, when Comcast was proposed and under construction, there were plans to build another office tower in Philly that would have risen 1,500 feet and would have been the tallest in the skyline and that would have had a spire. It was the American Commerce Center. These plans are dead. Liberty Property Trust (who built Liberty Place and Comcast Center) bought the lot where it was planned and so far the word is we may be getting another office tower with Comcast as the lead tenant since they have outgrown their space in Comcast Center.

PHILADELPHIA | American Commerce Center | 1,510' Pinnacle / 1,210' Roof | 63 FLOORS - SkyscraperPage Forum
I'm glad the real estate market crash killed those awful skyscrapers.

They wouldn't have down Philly's skyline justice IMO.

I can see a taller spire building if it were done right (for example, I like Freedom Tower in NYC), but the American Commerce Center would not be right in Philadelphia.

It's just a shame that there's still Comcast Center.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:25 AM

875 posts, read 1,651,447 times
Houston or San Fran...I live in Houston and EVERY time I see DT im still WOWED by it..

Old 07-18-2012, 02:12 AM

793 posts, read 1,098,682 times
I think I'm going for Dallas as my third favorite.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 AM

41 posts, read 99,447 times
Seattle's skyline actually looks better in picture than in person. Its not as large, dense or impressive as you assume from the pictures. San Francisco's skyline, as hard as it might be for some of you to believe, looks considerably more impressive in person. Its larger, denser, and has a better setting than Seattle's.

San Francisco is clearly the 3rd spot for me. Am I biased? Yes, a little bit. But I have a hard time looking at Houston, Miami, or Philadelphia and seeing how they could beat out San Francisco. And yes I have been to each one of those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City