Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has better food?
Houston 34 30.09%
Chicago 79 69.91%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 02:01 AM

289 posts, read 396,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Mexican - Definitely goes to Houston. I've eaten quite a bit of Mexican (mainly in the city) in Chicago, but the authenticity of it doesn't match up among some of the beaten up places you can find in Houston. Houston's mexican food trucks for Mexican are also a lot better IMO. Some people here in Chicago don't know the difference between a Taquito and a Burrito which pretty much summed it up for me that Chicago wasn't a very good town for Mexican food. I have numerous favorite places in Houston for Mexican food, one of my favorites is Lupe Tortilla in the southwest side of town.
Just throwing it out there, taquito's and burrito's are not authentic Mexican foods. Your choice for "authentic" mexican foods motto is "es pretty good" (Lupe Tortilla).

Both cities have way better options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 04:51 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
How's the lake fish in Chicago? Are there pretty awesome regional specialties.

Also, not that it's necessary (since seafood is routinely frozen and shipped these days), but how dangerous really is raw lakefood? Like, some Lake Michigan sashimi?

Old 10-30-2012, 05:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How's the lake fish in Chicago? Are there pretty awesome regional specialties.

Also, not that it's necessary (since seafood is routinely frozen and shipped these days), but how dangerous really is raw lakefood? Like, some Lake Michigan sashimi?
Freshwater sushi is a great way to afflict yourself with a minimum three-day case of bubble guts and maybe a few new gastrointestinal guests that will require a trip to the hospital to evict.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:29 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
I'm surprised Houston even got to 27%.

Chicago, by a mile, in nearly every category except TexMex, BBQ, maybe Viet/Cambodian. I do detest Chicago pizza, however.

Hell, Chicago beats NYC in a few cuisines, IMO (specifically Mex, Thai, Eastern Euro).

Again, just my opinion (but informed as I actually lived in central Mexico for a bit and ate out a lot), Houston is fine for Mex from the border states, but not much from the southern states (e.g. Oaxaca, Chiapas). And I'll echo what was said about not finding cheap Mexican - you must not have looked for it as there are plenty of places in Chicago, particularly Southside, with cheap Mex.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:30 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
Toss-up. Both routinely make "Fattest Cities in America" lists.

Both do have some good fast food places.

Houston has Taco Cabana, Chicago has Portillos.

These topics always bring out the "Ethnic Food Expert" in everyone. That's why they are annoying.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:43 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
Just throwing it out there, taquito's and burrito's are not authentic Mexican foods. Your choice for "authentic" mexican foods motto is "es pretty good" (Lupe Tortilla).

Both cities have way better options.
Still, I don't think it speaks well to how they know Mexican food around here.

There are better options. Lupe is just close to where my home is back in Houston. Their fajitas are awesome.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:59 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:

There are better options. Lupe is just close to where my home is back in Houston. Their fajitas are awesome.
And fajitas are a West Texas invention.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
And fajitas are a West Texas invention.
They're also a Mexican invention too though. But yeah, I agree, it's a little of both.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 PM

289 posts, read 396,455 times
Quote:

What part of Chicago are you in? If you're willing to head south head to either Amelia's on Halsted or Birieria zaragoza (I probably royally jacked that spelling) on Pulaski.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
What part of Chicago are you in? If you're willing to head south head to either Amelia's on Halsted or Birieria zaragoza (I probably royally jacked that spelling) on Pulaski.
I'm in the downtown area. I'll try and check them out though. Thanks for the recommendations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City