Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 01:35 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Um no, L.A. doesn't "compete well" in those categories, it flat out wins them. Television is debatable on a national level, but on an international level, forget it. Televisions shows produced in Los Angeles become popular worldwide (Baywatch anyone?), flat out copied in many cases:

Russian Married with Children - YouTube

Bringing up NYC's wealth is certainly odd. What does some unknown big wig in a penthouse have to do with anything? That's almost as bad as calling the finance industry "culture". And what's "general trendsetting" btw? I've seen this one thrown around quite a bit in this thread. Does anyone care to elaborate? I've seen a lot of L.A. trends presented (skate culture, film, TV, car culture, pretty much anything jimmykem posts, etc), but where are all these huge trends coming out of NYC lately? No trash talk, I'm serious.
If you ever travel to Europe you will see that to most Europeans LA is just Hollywood and Grand Central i.e. movie stars and dangerous ghetto while New York is perceived through Wall Street, New York Times, Newsweek, Broadway, galleries of Soho, MoMA, the Met and hundreds of other museums, Carnegie Hall, ballet, theater and perfoming arts and least but not last: advertising and publishing that are almost monopolized by New York City.

It's true: although most networks are located in NYC, most (but not all) shows are still produced in LA, even if they are set in NYC. To most people however, shows that are set in NYC are representative of NYC and not LA, just like your Chinese made iphone is associated with Apple and not Foxcon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 01:37 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Rap originated in NYC--in the late 70's, and it dominated hip-hop for the first decade or so of its existence. Nothing to sneeze at, but other regions of the country have since picked up the baton and put their own stamp on the genre.

I hope you're kidding with the bolded. Not only is Los Angeles huge in car design (I didn't even know that until this thread!) but it is famously a car-centric town. Drag racing (think rebel without a cause), lowrider culture, and the import scene made famous by "the fast and the furious" all began in the region.

Perhaps if folks simply stuck Los Angeles's name at the front of everything, like they stick "New York" in front of "pizza", you'd know more about this.

L.A.-style burgers! L.A.-style sushi rolls! L.A.-designed cars! LOL
Yes, rap originated in New York. And from there it spread and people put their own spins on it. Happens to everything that originates in one place and travels to others. New York style cheesecake is really only true New York style in and around New York, but other places may call their cheesecake New York style. This is a perfect example of it. Nothing beats the original. Just look at rap music then and now. Totally different.

Nope I'm not kidding. Had no idea LA was so big into cars and apparently neither did you so it's not really common knowledge then is it?

Maybe LA isn't added in front of things because they aren't LA influenced. Maybe they're SoCal influenced. There is a difference, and that is where a lot of New York area people and LA area people clash. We see a difference between New York and its surrounding areas, but SoCal people tend to make a conglomeration of everything around LA as being LA. I see it all the time on this forum. It's not a bad thing, just this is why the two always clash. And it's also why New York area people tend to think less of LA as a city, since most people who make arguments for LA being so great cite reasons OUTSIDE of LA. That to us is irrelevant.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:53 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes, rap originated in New York. And from there it spread and people put their own spins on it. Happens to everything that originates in one place and travels to others. New York style cheesecake is really only true New York style in and around New York, but other places may call their cheesecake New York style. This is a perfect example of it. Nothing beats the original. Just look at rap music then and now. Totally different.

Nope I'm not kidding. Had no idea LA was so big into cars and apparently neither did you so it's not really common knowledge then is it?

Maybe LA isn't added in front of things because they aren't LA influenced. Maybe they're SoCal influenced. There is a difference, and that is where a lot of New York area people and LA area people clash. We see a difference between New York and its surrounding areas, but SoCal people tend to make a conglomeration of everything around LA as being LA. I see it all the time on this forum. It's not a bad thing, just this is why the two always clash. And it's also why New York area people tend to think less of LA as a city, since most people who make arguments for LA being so great cite reasons OUTSIDE of LA. That to us is irrelevant.
Slow down there. I said I had no idea L.A. was such a major player in automobile DESIGN, not that it isn't known for its car culture. You're literally the only poster I've ever seen that had no idea L.A. was a car-centric town.

You're also the only poster who keeps insisting that everything be confined to city limits. And how are "SoCal" and "L.A." different, if the city itself is in Socal? I've seen friggin' Yale listed as an NYC school and you're going to nitpick about something that originated in Beverly Hills? Pasadena? West Hollywood?

Old 10-28-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
If you ever travel to Europe you will see that to most Europeans LA is just Hollywood and Grand Central i.e. movie stars and dangerous ghetto while New York is perceived through Wall Street, New York Times, Newsweek, Broadway, galleries of Soho, MoMA, the Met and hundreds of other museums, Carnegie Hall, ballet, theater and perfoming arts and least but not last: advertising and publishing that are almost monopolized by New York City.

It's true: although most networks are located in NYC, most (but not all) shows are still produced in LA, even if they are set in NYC. To most people however, shows that are set in NYC are representative of NYC and not LA, just like your Chinese made iphone is associated with Apple and not Foxcon.
-I think you mean South-Central. Nice shortened list for L.A., and nice inflated one for NYC btw. Typical. Newsweek, the NYTs and advertising...why not list that world famous bowling alley in Brooklyn while you're at it.

-Your terrible analogy was used earlier and it fails for one simple reason; the brains AND brawn process for those films/shows take place in Los Angeles. NYC merely serves as the backdrop to the story in many cases (or Chicago in Married...with Children's case). Regardless of what Joe Blow thinks--they are Los Angeles based movies and shows. Some films are New York based, obviously. But most of the big films are exported from Los Angeles. Saving Private Ryan was filmed in the UK and France--it's a Los Angeles export (Dreamworks). It's not a British movie, and it's not a French movie. Get it? You're trying to sponge off the Hollywood machine with all this CEO/film location stuff, and it stinks of desperation.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 10-28-2012 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
You're also the only poster who keeps insisting that everything be confined to city limits. And how are "SoCal" and "L.A." different, if the city itself is in Socal? I've seen friggin' Yale listed as an NYC school and you're going to nitpick about something that originated in Beverly Hills? Pasadena? West Hollywood?
I'm not the only one. Plenty of others agree with me, they have said it themselves on other threads. We're talking about LA, not Southern CA. We're talking about NYC, not the NYC metro area.

LA is the city, located in Southern California. But you can't say that you love the city of LA because, for example, Pasadena is right next door. Ok, but what about the city itself do you love? THIS is what I see coming from a lot of CA posters. They tell me that LA is great because it's near other things, while New York area people list what they love about the city itself. In comparison, LA and the surrounding areas probably match up to New York City. It's a great area, as is the NY metro region. But what about the city vs the city? That's what's being asked.

Yale listed as a NYC school? Probably a general NYC region school, which I guess it is. But NYC has CUNY (City University of New York) schools and NY state has SUNY (State University of New York) schools and they would NEVER count Yale in with either of those. This must be Yale people bragging to you, or maybe even the school itself, that Yale is near NYC to entice people. It's not even in the state of New York, I've never heard anyone from around here even try to make that claim. Ever. We would never call it that because it's not.

Yes. I am going to nitpick because something that originated in another city is not something that originated in LA. That would be like me claiming that something made in Newark was made in NYC. Or, to stick with the same state, something made in Valley Stream, right next to Queens (which IS NYC), was made in NYC. Is that the same thing? Nope. Close, but not an NYC product because it's not from New York City. Those 3 cities you listed are separate cities. They are NOT part of the city of Los Angeles. Again, we are never going to agree on this because we never do. People from the LA area and people from the NYC area always disagree with this because we define the idea of a city differently, apparently.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 10-28-2012 at 02:51 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I completely agree with this. Maybe they're produced in LA, but if they're set in NYC that's all people are thinking about when watching. Rent (the movie), for example, was filmed in Canada I don't recall which city, but it's still viewed as NYC because that's where it takes place. You don't think of Canada when you watch Rent, you think of New York. No matter where you move production, LA, Toronto, Boston, whatever, if it's supposed to be set in New York, people will think of New York while watching it. LA's role in that sense is obsolete. Yes they made and distributed it, but NYC is sending a message out to the world based on the film or show, not LA. Same would go if it was an LA based show filmed in NYC.

Of course LA's role is important in this, but no matter where you move production, if it's based in NY, then NY is what's being represented to the people watching it.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:09 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I completely agree with this. Maybe they're produced in LA, but if they're set in NYC that's all people are thinking about when watching. Rent (the movie), for example, was filmed in Canada I don't recall which city, but it's still viewed as NYC because that's where it takes place. You don't think of Canada when you watch Rent, you think of New York. No matter where you move production, LA, Toronto, Boston, whatever, if it's supposed to be set in New York, people will think of New York while watching it. LA's role in that sense is obsolete. Yes they made and distributed it, but NYC is sending a message out to the world based on the film or show, not LA. Same would go if it was an LA based show filmed in NYC.

Of course LA's role is important in this, but no matter where you move production, if it's based in NY, then NY is what's being represented to the people watching it.
Good points.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
Quote:
Um no, L.A. doesn't "compete well" in those categories, it flat out wins them. Television is debatable on a national level, but on an international level, forget it. Televisions shows produced in Los Angeles become popular worldwide (Baywatch anyone?), flat out copied in many cases:

Russian Married with Children - YouTube

Bringing up NYC's wealth is certainly odd. What does some unknown big wig in a penthouse have to do with anything? That's almost as bad as calling the finance industry "culture". And what's "general trendsetting" btw? I've seen this one thrown around quite a bit in this thread. Does anyone care to elaborate? I've seen a lot of L.A. trends presented (skate culture, film, TV, car culture, pretty much anything jimmykem posts, etc), but where are all these huge trends coming out of NYC lately? No trash talk, I'm serious.
When you travel abroad you realize that to most people there LA is only Hollywood and Grand Central: either superstar rich or dangerous ghetto poor. That's all people abroad know about LA.
New York on other hand is world famous for Wall Street, Broadway, galleries of SoHo, New York Times and Wall Street Journal, Time Magazine, Carnegie Hall and Metropolitan Opera, huge advertising and publishing industry, the Yankees and Giants. NYC global claim to fame is just much more multifaceted than that of LA.

Of course most of New York based networks produces shows in LA, even though most of them are set in NYC, but to most people these set in NYC shows personify NYC and not LA, just like your Iphone is associated with Apple and not Foxcon, even though it was made in China.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Good points.
Exactly.

Saving Private Ryan = Normandy film

(1000x)

Old 10-28-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
When you travel abroad you realize that to most people there LA is only Hollywood and Grand Central: either superstar rich or dangerous ghetto poor. That's all people abroad know about LA.
New York on other hand is world famous for Wall Street, Broadway, galleries of SoHo, New York Times and Wall Street Journal, Time Magazine, Carnegie Hall and Metropolitan Opera, huge advertising and publishing industry, the Yankees and Giants. NYC global claim to fame is just much more multifaceted than that of LA.

Of course most of New York based networks produces shows in LA, even though most of them are set in NYC, but to most people these set in NYC shows personify NYC and not LA, just like your Iphone is associated with Apple and not Foxcon, even though it was made in China.
I also agree with this. Other than Hollywood (and everything that comes with it), I honestly don't know what else LA is famous for to people living outside the region. NYC has all you listed and more that make it so diverse in the cultural sense that people everywhere can recognize even if it's only one of those things that they can pick out. If you're not into celebrities/entertainment and that culture, what would you go to LA for, other than weather? NYC has something famous for everyone.

I want to go to LA though and see those Hollywood sights because I think it'd be cool. I'm not anti-LA, I just don't agree with any argument that it beats, if you will, NYC in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City