Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 PM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How many broadway shows are about NYC? Are you kidding? If it's not a complete fantasia and looking for a physical location in the US, then chances are it's NYC. Rent? In the Heights? Avenue Q? Spiderman (if you want to get really weird about it)? No, I don't suppose Mary Poppins or Book of Mormon are based in NYC, but those aren't really based much in a concrete location though (Mary Poppins's world is abstracted to fiction, and Book of Mormon doesn't really focus on location). As for playwrights--some, but that doesn't work very well for LA either. .
Not to mention A West Side Story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
It's your logic. What's the problem?
The problem is it's not logic. It's fact. And it's not just mine.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:06 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not to mention A West Side Story.
The point wasnt to diminish New York's role as the center of American theater. Just pointing the poor logic being presented here.

Is Apollo 13 a Houston-based film, or does it have to share half the credit with Outer Space?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:23 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
The point wasnt to diminish New York's role as the center of American theater. Just pointing the poor logic being presented here.

Is Apollo 13 a Houston-based film, or does it have to share half the credit with Outer Space?
What's the poor logic there? Your example itself is on my side of their argument since it's about the culture of what takes place in the movie. It's about the Houston command center, the astronauts in their vehicle, and the general culture and dilemmas of NASA and early US space exploration.

There are two sides to it: where the production took place and what the production is about. Both have merit--LA being where the production is certainly counts for something. However, so does having the stories based in NYC and the creators' experiences in NYC. That being said, you can't possibly be unaware of how badly LA has atrophied in terms of film and television production this last decade could you? NYC strengthened as a center of production after tax incentives, cheaper production costs, and a large number of sound stages and other facilities having been built in the 00s and on. It doesn't have the place that LA had for tv and film production back in the latter part of the 20th century, but no city in the US/Anglosphere has that anymore including LA and it's unlikely that any city will reemerge with that kind of power in the industry.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:29 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Yeah, L.A. has declined to the point where it still leads in film and television production overall. Thanks for continuing to point this out.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to figure out who gets to claim the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. It was filmed in New Zealand, but I'm leaning towards Middle Earth. The Hobbits will be so happy!
Actually, I might have misspoke. I basically left the industry a bit over two years ago and LA has declined more and NYC has continued to strengthen. LA has two network dramas getting up and running this season to NYC's eleven. It's a really dramatic decline and I'm glad I left LA for NYC in the industry back when it was looking sort of bad, and I'm glad I left the industry altogether given how much weaker it is.

As for Lord of the Rings--Middle Earth isn't actually a place. No one's writing from their experiences of Middle Earth. They are not writing out scenarios based on experiences (maybe in metaphors) and their daily going-ons of what they've experienced in Middle Earth (the "culture of Middle Earth"). Do you see the major difference there?

Old 10-28-2012, 08:50 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
What's the poor logic there? Your example itself is on my side of their argument since it's about the culture of what takes place in the movie. It's about the Houston command center, the astronauts in their vehicle, and the general culture and dilemmas of NASA and early US space exploration.
That's as obvious as it gets. Nobody after watching Friends which was shot in LA said: I love it and want to move to LA but rather I want to visit / move to New York because this is which city/reality this show, however poorly, portrayed.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Actually, I might have misspoke. I basically left the industry a bit over two years ago and LA has declined more and NYC has continued to strengthen. LA has two network dramas getting up and running this season to NYC's eleven. It's a really dramatic decline and I'm glad I left LA for NYC in the industry back when it was looking sort of bad, and I'm glad I left the industry altogether given how much weaker it is.

As for Lord of the Rings--Middle Earth isn't actually a place. No one's writing from their experiences of Middle Earth. They are not writing out scenarios based on experiences (maybe in metaphors) and their daily going-ons of what they've experienced in Middle Earth (the "culture of Middle Earth"). Do you see the major difference there?
Los Angeles still dominates in sitcoms and reality TV, and the drama exodus seems more a product of California's economic woes more than anything. It can and probably will swing back. You act like all the soundstages and whatnot have closed.

Senate approves film tax credit bill - Los Angeles Times

The Middle Earth reference was a joke, but highlights how silly it is to give credit to the setting of a film/show, rather than the location where it was filmed. Also, who is to say that all the experiences used by writers took place exclusively in New York?

Old 10-28-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
That's as obvious as it gets. Nobody after watching Friends which was shot in LA said: I love it and want to move to LA but rather I want to visit / move to New York because this is which city/reality this show, however poorly, portrayed.
This reminds me of the first time I saw Star Wars--I couldn't wait to visit Tatooine afterwards. I would have loved to pay a visit to Alderaan. To bad the Empire blew it to smithereens.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 10-28-2012 at 09:30 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 09:16 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
This reminds me of the first time I saw Star Wars--I couldn't wait to visit Tatooine afterwards. I would loved to pay a visit to Alderaan. To bad the Empire blew it to smithereens.
Well based on your opinion stars wars should rather entice you to visit LA.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Well based on your opinion stars wars should rather entice you to visit LA.
They're movies, not travel guides.

"Taxi Driver" is IMO the greatest film ever made IN New York. A flattering portrait of NYC, it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City