Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:30 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Ahh, that's one thing you guys don't want to claim. Every other NYC aspect in LA filmed TV shows is credited to LA but something negative, I see.
We're talking about a cities IMAGE here as perceived by the general public, try to pay attention to the conversation and context. Yes clearly LA has a hand in exporting images of NYC good and bad with production and distribution. I never said LA didn't have a hand in exporting negative images of NYC now did I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 11:36 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
We're talking about a cities IMAGE here as perceived by the general public, try to pay attention to the conversation and context. Yes clearly LA has a hand in exporting images of NYC good and bad with production and distribution. I never said LA didn't have a hand in exporting negative images of NYC now did I?
I do pay attention. You clearly haven't. Another LA poster credits LA for everything, even NYC culture through TV shows actually being LA culture. Shows about NY, nope they represent LA. But the bad things about NY in LA's eyes AREN'T represented by LA, only the good things. That's what I was joking about. It was a joke.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I do pay attention. You clearly haven't. Another LA poster credits LA for everything, even NYC culture through TV shows actually being LA culture. Shows about NY, nope they represent LA. But the bad things about NY in LA's eyes AREN'T represented by LA, only the good things. That's what I was joking about. It was a joke.
LA doesn't represent NY's culture, it just helps export it.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
LA doesn't represent NY's culture, it just helps export it.
I know. Someone ELSE is saying it. I was making fun. Do you guys read?

Old 10-30-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
I know. Someone ELSE is saying it. I was making fun. Do you guys read?
Realize I'm not paying attention between the back and forth you're having with every poster in here nor do I necessarily share their views on the subject. If someone else is saying that then perhaps that's the person you should bringing up your point to.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Realize I'm not paying attention between the back and forth you're having with every poster in here nor do I necessarily share their views on the subject. If someone else is saying that then perhaps that's the person you should bringing up your point to.
When I posted that four pages ago or so, it was relevant. Now, it's not anymore because the other person I was referring to hasn't posted in a while.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 PM

Also I didn't even vote in this poll, I honestly think as far as exporting culture it's splitting hairs. LA does a lot of the production and distribution while NYC's image/culture is what is being exported a lot and recognized worldwide.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 PM

484 posts, read 871,046 times
Quote:
We have said what else NYC has. Dismissing it as just finance culture is ignorant. Art, for one. Broadway, ballets, Carnegie Hall, all of the famous art museums. Some NYC neighborhoods are very artsy, actually quite a few. A lot of artists live in New York City, and their art culture is known worldwide. It's probably one of their biggest. Publishing? It's a strong industry, as is entertainment in Hollywood. No one ever said it was a culture. But through publishing, cultures can be exported. Magazines, books, newspapers, the New York Times, for example, this is how people find out about America. Sometimes mores than TV or movies. Cultures: art, food, finance (it IS a culture… the stock exchange? how about how we all depend on one another financially? we collapse, so does Europe, and vice versa to an extent). Culture can be subjective. Some people value some aspects more than others depending on their interests.

Cultural exporter, as in to the world right? The American culture varies through regions, but is generally the same. We all know about ourselves. Foreigners don't, they learn through many different ways depending on their interests. Entertainment isn't the only one, and isn't necessarily the most important. Especially considering not all American shows and film even make it to screens worldwide. Half of the TV shows that air get cancelled after a season or less and never see light of day outside the US. The celebrity culture of LA, I think, holds more weight internationally than film and TV shows, especially shows. People everywhere recognize celebrities residing in LA, and a lot of them are foreign born.

I'm not a New Yorker.
And LA doesn't have these things? Art? Check. Famous art museums? Check. Famous concert venues? Check. Broadway? Check, but not as famous as NYC's. A lot of artists living/lived in LA and their art culture is known world-wide? Check. Dismissing LA as just entertainment culture is ignorant.

Yes, people have said publishing is a culture. Go back through this thread and see for yourself. Yes, I agree, like I said, what publishing produces can be culture. Not the industry itself though. So LA's literary history is strong. Check.

Like you said, culture can be subjective. So to me, stock market/finance is not an obvious culture. If you want to include finance, then I want to include "aerospace culture" for LA. And "manufacturing culture." I don't think entertainment is the most important, but it makes up a lot of what we consider culture. Not everyone cares about finance, just as not everyone care about finance. Not everyone own stocks, or bonds, or funds, or anything relating to financing. I bet more people care more about entertainment culture than finance culture though. It's more pervasive in people's everyday lives.

I know you're not a New Yorker.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
And LA doesn't have these things? Art? Check. Famous art museums? Check. Famous concert venues? Check. Broadway? Check, but not as famous as NYC's. A lot of artists living/lived in LA and their art culture is known world-wide? Check. Dismissing LA as just entertainment culture is ignorant.

Yes, people have said publishing is a culture. Go back through this thread and see for yourself. Yes, I agree, like I said, what publishing produces can be culture. Not the industry itself though. So LA's literary history is strong. Check.

Like you said, culture can be subjective. So to me, stock market/finance is not an obvious culture. If you want to include finance, then I want to include "aerospace culture" for LA. And "manufacturing culture." I don't think entertainment is the most important, but it makes up a lot of what we consider culture. Not everyone cares about finance, just as not everyone care about finance. Not everyone own stocks, or bonds, or funds, or anything relating to financing. I bet more people care more about entertainment culture than finance culture though. It's more pervasive in people's everyday lives.

I know you're not a New Yorker.
I'm not saying LA doesn't have those. I'm saying NYC's is stronger. Even within the US, LA isn't widely known for more than its entertainment. But NYC is known for all I listed and more.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
Give it up JerseyChick415, NYC will never be the center of the film industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City