Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 12:24 AM

484 posts, read 871,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
All of those were discovered in the city of LA? And the city of LA is known for these?

Wait, wait, LA invented salads? So you don't think anyone before Los Angeles though to throw greens together in a bowl and mix?

Sushi is Japanese.

California-style kitchen, clearly CA. But it is known to be an LA thing?

Avocados, also CA, yes.

Are these foods typical in LA? Would a tourist go to LA and get these foods? I genuinely want to know. Again, I don't care what CA invented. NYC after all invented only half the things I had listed. But they're still a classic NYC thing. I want to know what's a typical LA thing to eat.
No, you have a short-term memory. You keep going back and forth with RCL, harping on the fact that no one answered your simple question about LA cuisine and classic LA foods or a LA thing. So I simply answered your question. I didn't say all these were invented in LA. And apparently you didn't read what I've written before. Yes sushi is Japanese. Sushi in America, however, originated in LA. As did the California roll. LA takes sushi very seriously. Bagel, pretzel, pizza are European. NYC didn't invent those. So what is your point? No, LA didn't invent salads, but it invented the Cobb salad and possibly the Chinese chicken salad. Yes, salad seems popular here, probably because of the LA's health-consciousness. Yes, California-style pizza was invented in LA. LA is a burger town. Like NYC is a pizza town, LA is a burger town.

Yes, these foods are typical and popular in LA. Is it all that we eat? Obviously not. I don't know what a tourist would want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 12:26 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Give it up JerseyChick415, NYC will never be the center of the film industry.
I'm not saying it will be. Never have said it, never will.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
No, you have a short-term memory. You keep going back and forth with RCL, harping on the fact that no one answered your simple question about LA cuisine and classic LA foods or a LA thing. So I simply answered your question. I didn't say all these were invented in LA. And apparently you didn't read what I've written before. Yes sushi is Japanese. Sushi in America, however, originated in LA. As did the California roll. LA takes sushi very seriously. Bagel, pretzel, pizza are European. NYC didn't invent those. So what is your point? No, LA didn't invent salads, but it invented the Cobb salad and possibly the Chinese chicken salad. Yes, salad seems popular here, probably because of the LA's health-consciousness. Yes, California-style pizza was invented in LA. LA is a burger town. Like NYC is a pizza town, LA is a burger town.

Yes, these foods are typical and popular in LA. Is it all that we eat? Obviously not. I don't know what a tourist would want.
NOW you answered my question. Thank you.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:03 AM

484 posts, read 871,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
NOW you answered my question. Thank you.
You're welcome.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:31 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Discounting either city as a powerhouse of art, culture, etc is a clear indicator you're a moron.

Can we just leave it at that?

Old 10-31-2012, 07:41 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Right because movies never show people strolling the Venice boardwalk, Santa Monica Pier, beaches of Malibu, Rodeo Drive, Hollywood Blvd, the Griffith Observatory, clubs on Sunset, etc.. It's clear nobody knows about any of these places because they are never depicted in movies and tv Perhaps you should take Hitch out of the DVD player and watch more movies and tv shows not set in NY. Just look at all the reality shows set in LA today.
C'mon, man. How many movies that are set in Los Angeles actually show anything in Hollywood or the Griffith Observatory? These are not recurring images in movies set in LA (the beaches, however, are a recurring image). It's rare to see a movie set in NYC that does not show someone walking in Midtown, strolling around Washington Square Park, walking around the corner with Radio City Hall in the background, etc. And it's equally rare to see a movie that really gives any depth to LA beyond shots on the beach.

As munchitup even said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
They may think of Hollywood but at this point most think of the term as an all-encompassing label for the film industry and entertainment celebrities. I doubt they think of Hollywood Blvd and Vine St (and probably have no idea what it looks like). They may or may not associate it with the city of Los Angeles.
This is not the first time this has been said before. One of the complaints in other threads is that movies only show South Central and Malibu and that the whole entire world has a view of L.A. that's skewed and biased.

One reason for this, perhaps, is that NYC may do a lot more "on location" filming than LA. It's common to be in Midtown and see film permits posted up on signs. New York City itself serves as one big movie set. My guess is that more of the filming in LA is done on sets (at least more than what's done for movies set in NYC). OyCrumbler may be able to provide some insight here since he's actually worked in the industry.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Lol, NYC on film is 99% city city city. It does have suburbs and quiet parts, but they're rarely depicted on film.
That's because 99 percent of the people in NYC live in "city city city." The NYC you see in movies is pretty damn close to the NYC you get in real life (because much of the movies are shot on the streets rather than in a studio). That's why you don't hear many gripes about NYC not being accurately portrayed on film.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:12 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
C'mon, man. How many movies that are set in Los Angeles actually show anything in Hollywood or the Griffith Observatory? These are not recurring images in movies set in LA (the beaches, however, are a recurring image). It's rare to see a movie set in NYC that does not show someone walking in Midtown, strolling around Washington Square Park, walking around the corner with Radio City Hall in the background, etc. And it's equally rare to see a movie that really gives any depth to LA beyond shots on the beach.

As munchitup even said:

This is not the first time this has been said before. One of the complaints in other threads is that movies only show South Central and Malibu and that the whole entire world has a view of L.A. that's skewed and biased.

One reason for this, perhaps, is that NYC may do a lot more "on location" filming than LA. It's common to be in Midtown and see film permits posted up on signs. New York City itself serves as one big movie set. My guess is that more of the filming in LA is done on sets (at least more than what's done for movies set in NYC). OyCrumbler may be able to provide some insight here since he's actually worked in the industry.
I can't say if it is the majority of filming or not or if it is more than in NYC since I'm not in that industry but there are a great deal of on-site filming. Seems as though almost every commercial is filmed on Spring Street. I think people know what LA looks like but just don't realize they are watching Los Angeles (probably assume its NYC), which I guess sort of speaks to your point.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I can't say if it is the majority of filming or not or if it is more than in NYC since I'm not in that industry but there are a great deal of on-site filming. Seems as though almost every commercial is filmed on Spring Street. I think people know what LA looks like but just don't realize they are watching Los Angeles (probably assume its NYC), which I guess sort of speaks to your point.
The only reason I even watched (500) Days of Summer is because you brought it up in a thread. I actually liked it. It was interesting to see a movie focus on the less stereotypical side of Los Angeles. Yes, we all know about Malibu and South Central. But that movie displayed more of the streetscape, scenery, and architecture of the city that's not commonly seen in movies like Last Action Hero or Transformer's 2.

Hopefully, there will be more movies that give a more in-depth portrait of the city.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

As munchitup even said:

Probably more than you give them credit for but I'm not saying they are the most popular areas of LA seen in film. But it's cute and telling how you focus on those two things but ignore the rest. I bet most people wouldn't know Midtown Manhattan from Downtown, the UES, the Upper West Side, Chelsea, Greenwhich Village, etc.. w/o a shot of the ESB or Grand Central. Hell many probably wouldn't know Broadway in Downtown LA from Midtown Manhattan w/o some NY landmark in the shot. For NYC being so iconic and recognizable its quite amazing how easily it is for LA to replicate it in Downtown LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City