Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:03 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The uncle's house? It's not like it's a common reference (as in, did you look that up or what?). It does have a nice sound to it though. Rancho Cucamonga. Always liked it. And Calabasas, too.
No, I remember that from the movie as it was clearly referenced in it and a part of the plot; moving to the suburbs to escape danger in the inner city. The name just sounds funny too and it's not some generic sounding name.

Calabassas is probably relatively well known just b/c of the Kardashians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No, I remember that from the movie as it was clearly referenced in it and a part of the plot; moving to the suburbs to escape danger in the inner city. The name just sounds funny too and it's not some generic sounding name.
Yea, that's probably why I chose it as an example since the name is pretty good. Bad example on my part, sorry.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Baywatch along the Jersey Shore or NYC beaches might have been pretty interesting. Running to save a drowning guido while getting stuck with a hyperdermic needle would have been pretty funny imo.
So stereotyped (and wrong). And the "Syringe Tide" of one 1980s summer was actually NYC's fault. Staten Island, to be exact. The Staten Island Dump was illegally dumping the city's medical waste into to the ocean and it was washing ashore in NJ.

Jerseyans don't take getting made fun of too well. It happens far too often and most of what people say is dead wrong and stereotyped. Also, if Baywatch had been an NYC show, it would have been filmed on the Rockaways or Coney Island not NJ. Because NJ is not NYC.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Because LA being more culturally relevant is EXTREMELY debatable. Culture encompasses more than film/tv.
Exactly. This has been my point all along. Glad someone else said it.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
So stereotyped (and wrong). And the "Syringe Tide" of one 1980s summer was actually NYC's fault. Staten Island, to be exact. The Staten Island Dump was illegally dumping the city's medical waste into to the ocean and it was washing ashore in NJ.

Jerseyans don't take getting made fun of too well. It happens far too often and most of what people say is dead wrong and stereotyped. Also, if Baywatch had been an NYC show, it would have been filmed on the Rockaways or Coney Island not NJ. Because NJ is not NYC.
Clearly...

Damn, you guys must be the only people and region that gets stereotyped wrong. I feel so sorry for you .

Also the context of the discussion was the entire metro area which is why I brought up the Jersey Shore, but I did also mention NYC beaches aso I'm not sure what the point of your last two sentences are really.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Clearly...

Damn, you guys must be the only people and region that gets stereotyped wrong. I feel so sorry for you .
I don't want you to feel sorry for me. NJ though gets stereotyped so negatively an awful lot. We're hated by many other states/people and they've never even been here. That is a whole different topic, so I'm not getting into it but we actually have it pretty rough with the jokes and negativity. We don't care, as long as people shut their mouths unless they know what they're saying. And our entire coast just got destroyed by Sandy north to south, it's like a war zone, so sorry if I'm a little sensitive about the shore.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I don't want you to feel sorry for me. NJ though gets stereotyped so negatively an awful lot. We're hated by many other states/people and they've never even been here. That is a whole different topic, so I'm not getting into it but we actually have it pretty rough with the jokes and negativity. We don't care, as long as people shut their mouths unless they know what they're saying. And our entire coast just got destroyed by Sandy north to south, it's like a war zone, so sorry if I'm a little sensitive about the shore.
No need to apologize, good luck with the clean up. Next time I'm in NY during summer I really would like to visit the shore and check it out. The West Coast lacks that Boardwalk culture in comparison and I think it's pretty cool.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
No need to apologize, good luck with the clean up. Next time I'm in NY during summer I really would like to visit the shore and check it out. The West Coast lacks that Boardwalk culture in comparison and I think it's pretty cool.
Thank you. I hate to bring it up here because this really isn't on topic but it's hard to watch the place you spent your summers your whole life suddenly gone. The storm surge was massive, washing everything away. You should visit the shore, hopefully they will restore it to what it was like before everything, maybe somehow even better.

New Jersey's boardwalk culture is like no other. We invented boardwalks, truly, AC's historic boardwalk was the first and from there they spread to all along points on our coast and beyond. Coney Island's is another famous NYC area one. That is something NJ can definitely claim!

If we're counting metro areas here, though, to tie back into our topic, as I just mentioned the NYC area contributed boardwalks! haha And Coney Island's may be more famous than NJ's on an international scale, so I guess you could give at least some credit to NYC.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I hate to bring it up here because this really isn't on topic but it's hard to watch the place you spent your summers your whole life suddenly gone. The storm surge was massive, washing everything away. You should visit the shore, hopefully they will restore it to what it was like before everything, maybe somehow even better.

New Jersey's boardwalk culture is like no other. We invented boardwalks, truly, AC's historic boardwalk was the first and from there they spread to all along points on our coast and beyond. Coney Island's is another famous NYC area one. That is something NJ can definitely claim!

If we're counting metro areas here, though, to tie back into our topic, as I just mentioned the NYC area contributed boardwalks! haha And Coney Island's may be more famous than NJ's on an international scale, so I guess you could give at least some credit to NYC.
No worries, I can't imagine what it's like in that area now as we don't really get storms like that on our coast.

I LOVED the summer beach scene in San Diego when I lived there and from what I've seen on TV, Jersey seems to have an great one as well, especially with all those boardwalks. I can just imagine how fun that would be on a warm summer night after a few drinks Where I live now there really isn't a summer beach scene except for a few towns but even then the water is too damn cold to get in.

I know Jersey Shore is a bad reality show and the people give a negative impression of NJ BUT it did showcase the Jersey Shore to millions that really probably never knew much about it like me. Personally sometimes i just focused on the background and atmosphere than the actual cast members. Warm weather, warm water, summer, the beach, beach houses, boardwalks, etc..sounds like a great time to me.

The fact that you have something like Coney Island so close (relatively) to Manhattan is great, not too many cities are like that. You have the city AND beach (in summer at least), that's what I like about the area.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
No worries, I can't imagine what it's like in that area now as we don't really get storms like that on our coast.

I LOVED the summer beach scene in San Diego when I lived there and from what I've seen on TV, Jersey seems to have an great one as well, especially with all those boardwalks. I can just imagine how fun that would be on a warm summer night after a few drinks Where I live now there really isn't a summer beach scene except for a few towns but even then the water is too damn cold to get in.

I know Jersey Shore is a bad reality show and the people give a negative impression of NJ BUT it did showcase the Jersey Shore to millions that really probably never knew much about it like me. Personally sometimes i just focused on the background and atmosphere than the actual cast members. Warm weather, warm water, summer, the beach, beach houses, boardwalks, etc..sounds like a great time to me.

The fact that you have something like Coney Island so close (relatively) to Manhattan is great, not too many cities are like that. You have the city AND beach (in summer at least), that's what I like about the area.
All of that, exactly. The show's both unfortunate and a blessing.

This is the most damaging storm we've had in fifty years and it's a shocker. Even newscasters don't have a word to say when viewing the helicopter shots of the Jersey coast. So sad.

Coney Island is great, a littleā€¦ sadder looking than it had been. Its past its glory days but it's still there and still a popular attraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City