U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city has the most historical significance?
Boston 36 41.86%
Philadelphia 34 39.53%
Other 16 18.60%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 PM

13,696 posts, read 15,491,631 times

Advertisements

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhibit..._Nations_(1853)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William...rt_(astronomer)

First public school was in Boston.
Carbonated water (because people care about that?) was in England.
First Stock Exchange as we now understand the term was in London, although the idea goes back to the Roman times. Philly did have the first stock exchange in the U.S., however.

Feel free to blindly accepted the list in your exuberant fashion. Some of it is undoubtedly correct, others undoubtedly incorrect. It's not really going to change Philly's important one way or another, I just find it annoying when people are exuberant in perpetuating falsehoods to inflate their own self of importance.

Last edited by Malloric; 04-09-2013 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 05:18 PM

6,654 posts, read 7,506,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Feel free to blindly accepted the list in your exuberant fashion. Some of it is undoubtedly correct, others undoubtedly incorrect. It's not really going to change Philly's important one way or another, I just find it annoying when people are exuberant in perpetuating falsehoods to inflate their own self of importance.
Exuberant? I assume you are talking to me? I moved here two years ago. After living in a city where a twenty year old structure was considered "historic," I love living in a city where so much our nation's history started and where people are proud of it. I don't feel "self-important" as a result, however (which doesn't make the least bit of sense to me). I just appreciate being surrounded by many of the icons I grew up learning about.

(my picture)

Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,282,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
But without Philly in the first place there would be nothing.
What do you mean? That the people in the greater Boston area wouldn't have done anything if Philadelphia hadn't been around? That doesn't make sense.

Quote:
I see it as, they both were needed to found tho nation, but Phillys history was significantly more important.
Not really. I've always put forth the argument that Boston was a bit more important before the Revolutionary War, and Philadelphia was a bit more important afterwards. Neither are glaringly more important than the other and overall are about equally as important.

Quote:
See it this way: The way the world looks at NYC now, was the way the world saw Philly.
No they didn't. The United States was nothing back then and the world wasn't connected at all.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 PM

1,823 posts, read 1,841,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post

(my picture)
I never understood the significance of the "liberty bell". Why exactly is it so famous? I understand that it is a very old bell, but what else makes it special?

Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,589,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I never understood the significance of the "liberty bell". Why exactly is it so famous? I understand that it is a very old bell, but what else makes it special?
It's just a symbol of freedom for America. It originally sat in the Steeple above the Pennsylvania State House (now known as Independence Hall). It was rang for important events and was rang after the second continental congress declared independence from Great Britain.

There are other great sites to see as well, like Carpenter's hall (where the continental congress met), Society Hill (the largest collection of colonial housing in the U.S.), Elfreth's Alley (the longest continuously occupied residential street in the country), Betsy Ross' house, Eastern State Penitentiary, etc. etc.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:28 AM

^^^ More pix of some of the spots you referenced (mine):

Independence Hall:

Society Hill:

Washington Square:

Elfreth's Alley:

As for an answer to the actual OP, it would be a really hard call to say which of these two cities has the most historical significance to the US. If anyone claims this is a slam dunk for one city or the other, I would need a lot of convincing. I do have the opinion however, that these are the only two cites in the running.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 AM

13 posts, read 42,084 times
^ Damn boy, jm02, yall is just a postin some amazing pictures! You are making that yankee city look fun and safe, I can't believe it. There is even a space for my john deere tractor.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville guy View Post
^ Damn boy, jm02, yall is just a postin some amazing pictures! You are making that yankee city look fun and safe, I can't believe it. There is even a space for my john deere tractor.
Thanks. The core of Philly is an extensive areas that is truly beautiful, safe and fun. The city does have its share of rough and dangerous neighborhoods, to be sure. Unless one is looking for trouble, however, there is no reason to venture into those hoods (I haven't had to go there in the 2+ years I've lived here). Parking for your JD might be a bit pricey, however

Old 04-10-2013, 11:10 AM

11,341 posts, read 7,997,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
But without Philly in the first place there would be nothing. I see it as, they both were needed to found tho nation, but Phillys history was significantly more important. See it this way: The way the world looks at NYC now, was the way the world saw Philly.
Are you saying that if Philly hadn't been founded all the colonists would have simply sulked back to their origin nations?

I can guarantee that Boston would have rebelled no matter where the Continental Congress met. Basically a room where the representatives could meet was all Philly contributed to the Revolution.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Basically a room where the representatives could meet was all Philly contributed to the Revolution.
There are a few things that happened in the city or within a few miles:
1st and 2nd Continental Congress
Articles of Association
Declaration of Independence
Battle of Trenton (Washington crossing the Delaware)
Creation of US flag
Battle of Cooch's Bridge (first time US flag flown in battle)
Battle of the Brandywine
Battle of the Clouds
Paoli Massacre
British occupation of Philadelphia
Battle of Germantown
Battle of Fort Mifflin
Valley Forge encampment
Articles of Confederation
Creation of US Constitution
Site of US capital for 10 years

This may be some of the reasons why the Museum of the American Revolution is planned for the city: Home | Museum of the American Revolution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or