Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:04 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,000,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis Island View Post
THANK YOU FOR CLEARING THIS UP!!! I was born in 1963 so I really do know what it was like back then. Went to Brooklyn, bronx, Long Island and all over the city growing up because of the proximity and I had a lot of family and friends over there like I did in nj. So trust me I know about the crack epidimec and NYC just like any other New Yorker growing up at that time. But you were 100% right. Again thank you for clearing this up.
Do you feel better now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 09:20 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,792,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Do you feel better now?
He should... Someone whose actually lived in this city for more than 3 days decided to speak facts

Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
He should... Someone whose actually lived in this city for more than 3 days decided to speak facts
I was born and raised here and so was the OP.

He already KNEW what it was with the city at the time, but wanted to go on a Giuliani Praise fest!

Chicago in NO WAY compares to NYC, even on its WORST DAYS. Yes, crack was bad and messed up certain parts of the city, but I still hold to what I said about LA and CHICAGO being EQUAL with violence and degradation.

NYC was NEVER ungovernable. Just a bunch of racist "ethnic" white rhetoric.

He's an italian american that traveled through BROOKLYN (his words), back when Brooklyn shared the same notoriety as the Bronx. He just wants to talk about how Giuliani "cleaned up the city" to "remind" folks of what a good job he supposedly did.

Last edited by marilyn220; 10-28-2012 at 10:27 AM..

Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I was born and raised here and so was the OP.

He already KNEW what it was with the city at the time, but wanted to go on a Giuliani Praise fest!

Chicago in NO WAY compares to NYC, even on it's WORST DAYS. Yes, crack was bad and messed up certain parts of the city, but I still hold to what I said about LA and CHICAGO being EQUAL with violence and degradation.

NYC was NEVER ungovernable. Just a bunch of racist "ethnic" white rhetoric.

He's an italian american that traveled through BROOKLYN (his words), back when Brooklyn shared the same notoriety as the Bronx. He just wants to talk about how Giuliani "cleaned up the city" to "remind" folks of what a good job he supposedly did.
There is no way on gods green earth that you are a native and can speak such nonsense... Either that or you lived in Bay Ridge, or Middle Village at the time and didn't experience what the other 70% of NYC was experiencing at the time... I lived it... I know what it was... I don't need to re-explain the cesspool that was NYC in the 70s, 80s and 90s but moreso late 70s early 90s... You really either show your age, your coddled NYC lifestyle or your lack of honesty about this city... And ANY NYC Native that lived it back then and knew what it was to live even in a working class area of Queens nowadays like a Woodside or Jackson Heights, knew the differences and how the city on the overall was unmatched in terms of crime... Crime rates and murder rates mean nothing when the population is 100 times the size of a small area... But compare the city to any other city with a population at the time of over 1 million and you'll see how NYC was a total mess back then... And even if you ask honest people from Chicago or Detroit from back in the day, they'll tell you the same thing... Once again, during today's times, it's no question what is worse and what is better... Back then, it was the same thing only the roles were reversed...

And it's not romanticizing crime or whatever the other intelligent posters who have agendas on city-data will call it... It's just what it was...

Btw, the highest per capita rate at 34 is correct but it seems as if I undercounted the population... It turns out that the highest overall amount of murders in Chicago occured in 1974 when they recorded a ridiculously high 970 murders... The per capita record however was in 1994 so it appears there were more Chicagoans in the city in the 70s than there were in the 90s.

1974 was a deadly year in Chicago - Chicago Tribune

That being said, when you compare 970 to the highest murder year for NYC which after checking was actually 1990 at 2,251 murders... They cannot compare... We are talking about a difference of nearly 1300 murders from the highest city to the second highest in the country... NYC was a different world back then... For the record, just like NYC wasn't a 100% crime hole, neither was Chicago... It doesn't make the issues that the majority faced during that time any less troubling...

Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
There is no way on gods green earth that you are a native and can speak such nonsense... Either that or you lived in Bay Ridge, or Middle Village at the time and didn't experience what the other 70% of NYC was experiencing at the time... I lived it... I know what it was... I don't need to re-explain the cesspool that was NYC in the 70s, 80s and 90s but moreso late 70s early 90s... You really either show your age, your coddled NYC lifestyle or your lack of honesty about this city... And ANY NYC Native that lived it back then and knew what it was to live even in a working class area of Queens nowadays like a Woodside or Jackson Heights, knew the differences and how the city on the overall was unmatched in terms of crime... Crime rates and murder rates mean nothing when the population is 100 times the size of a small area... But compare the city to any other city with a population at the time of over 1 million and you'll see how NYC was a total mess back then... And even if you ask honest people from Chicago or Detroit from back in the day, they'll tell you the same thing... Once again, during today's times, it's no question what is worse and what is better... Back then, it was the same thing only the roles were reversed...

And it's not romanticizing crime or whatever the other intelligent posters who have agendas on city-data will call it... It's just what it was...

Btw, the highest per capita rate at 34 is correct but it seems as if I undercounted the population... It turns out that the highest overall amount of murders in Chicago occured in 1974 when they recorded a ridiculously high 970 murders... The per capita record however was in 1994 so it appears there were more Chicagoans in the city in the 70s than there were in the 90s.

That being said, when you compare 970 to the highest murder year for NYC which after checking was actually 1990 at 2,251 murders... They cannot compare... We are talking about a difference of nearly 1300 murders from the highest city to the second highest in the country... NYC was a different world back then... For the record, just like NYC wasn't a 100% crime hole, neither was Chicago... It doesn't make the issues that the majority faced during that time any less troubling...
Look, whateva.

Why are we even discussing how messed up NYC was compared to other cities that are STILL living a NO MAN'S LAND existence??

Like I said, he needs to compare Chitown with Los Angeles, Detroit and New Orleans.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Look, whateva.

Why are we even discussing how messed up NYC was compared to other cities that are STILL living a NO MAN'S LAND existence??

Like I said, he needs to compare Chitown with Los Angeles, Detroit and New Orleans.
Nobody's still living that no man's land existance... I agree that this topic has been discussed ad nauseum but that still doesn't stop people from continuing to forget the past and what this city was like before the Giuliani/Bloomberg era...

What you see happening now in Chicago is a bunch of retarted teens thinking that they have something to prove and the way to do it is by shooting and killing other people... They don't do it out of necessity, desperation, poverty, etc. as it was back then... they just do it so they can be looked at as "hard"... It really is some of the most nonsensical idiotic violence you can imagine... Here you have 3rd world countries living in teepees armed with whatever weapon they could find in the street and can't sleep sound at night and then over here you got kids struggling with the same issues of violence meanwhile they have the same things that the rest of this coddled generation has... $300 sneakers, laptops, iphones, tablets, the work...

The only situation in this country that can be deemed no man's land is what is happening in Detroit and Detroit as bad as it is doesn't have the gun problems that chicago does... It really is mind-blowing...

Old 10-28-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Nobody's still living that no man's land existance... I agree that this topic has been discussed ad nauseum but that still doesn't stop people from continuing to forget the past and what this city was like before the Giuliani/Bloomberg era...

What you see happening now in Chicago is a bunch of retarted teens thinking that they have something to prove and the way to do it is by shooting and killing other people... They don't do it out of necessity, desperation, poverty, etc. as it was back then... they just do it so they can be looked at as "hard"... It really is some of the most nonsensical idiotic violence you can imagine... Here you have 3rd world countries living in teepees armed with whatever weapon they could find in the street and can't sleep sound at night and then over here you got kids struggling with the same issues of violence meanwhile they have the same things that the rest of this coddled generation has... $300 sneakers, laptops, iphones, tablets, the work...

The only situation in this country that can be deemed no man's land is what is happening in Detroit and Detroit as bad as it is doesn't have the gun problems that chicago does... It really is mind-blowing...
I agree about Detroit. Detroit doesn't need martial law like Chicago does right now.

Giuliani was good for the city at the "time" and honestly, with all the bullcrap Bloomberg has done in his third term, he has me feeling nostalgic for the man. At least, we could still eat what we damn well please in restaurants and Giuliani wouldn't have banned food donations to the shelters.

Believe it or not (and I know most won't), he did have some good policies in place to get the homeless out of shelters and into apartments. He never would have pulled the Advantage program that helped many pay for their apartments. Bloomberg pulled it, so that his rich friends could get that same state money to house those people in THEIR one-room hotels. It's not about helping families anymore.

I would vote for Guiliani if he promised to repeal the nutritional bullcrap Bloomberg has done and stop forcing TREES down our throats.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:31 PM

398 posts, read 1,387,941 times
Quote:

I agree with you. You obviously know what you're talking about and lived through the hard times. Like Marilyn 220 said, i've been through Brooklyn, bronx, Long Island, manhattan, and Staten Island because I have family and friends there. Most of them were in Brooklyn and we would hang out in Bensonhurst. That doesn't mean we would never leave Bensonhurst. There was some racial tension back then so we didn't dare go looking for trouble even though we weren't prejudice. I saw what was going on and basically lived through it being that I went there at least 2 to 4 times a week for the first about 20 years of my life consistently. And that was only during school season. During summer I would go there almost every day. We would usually only go to bronx for the Yankee games and to see one of my family members or something. My family either lives in nj or New York but since my family lives in north eastern nj we all have New York accents. People on my jersey side(myself included) get mistaken for being from Brooklyn a lot but were from jersey city. Most of my family in New York is in Brooklyn with some in Staten Island, Long Island, and very little in bronx. So please don't question my credibility(not saying you were but I'm talking about in general because I felt Marilyn 220 was at first but he wasn't), I've spent so much time in NYC that I have just as much knowledge about the city and state as a regular New Yorker. I really do think people should appreciate what Giuliani has done. I was disappointed when he stopped running for president. They gave Bloomberg an extra term but I think if anything they should've given that extra term to Giuliani.

Last edited by Kobe Bean; 10-28-2012 at 06:28 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 06:14 PM

398 posts, read 1,387,941 times
Quote:
Not gonna lie. But you really killed Marilyn 220 on that one haha. No disrespect but that was just execution lol. And you were speaking facts so thank you for clearing all this up for people who don't know.

Last edited by Kobe Bean; 10-28-2012 at 06:23 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,823,296 times
Quote:
New Yorkers don't care about Chicago projects.

Why should we?

NYers don't think about OTHER cities.

OTHER cities think about US.
Lol its true tho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City