U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 02:24 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,685,194 times

Advertisements

I have no idea. In early 80s I used to drive a panel truck for a CT company and would cut thru South Bronx/Grand Concourse area to avoid tolls (3rd Ave Bridge). Wasn't bothered by anyone. Had a couple of drop off points in Harlem in the 120s. I was asked a few times to buy drugs, but never harrassed.

Sometime in the late 80s while in Chicago for a convention I walked through Cabrini Green alone at night while drunk. Wasn't bothered by anyone.

I was, however, scared to be in some projects in CT when I drove a newspaper truck.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 03:00 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,226,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
New Yorkers don't care about Chicago projects.

Why should we?

NYers don't think about OTHER cities.

OTHER cities think about US.

What goes around comes around. New Yorkers will now benefit from the kindness of others in the form of tax dollars and relief from warm hearts and helping hands in order to recover from Sandy. New Yorkers like yourself are arrogant, and arrogance always comes back in a way you didn't intend.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,980 posts, read 41,810,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post
that article is from "the onion", LMAO
More seriously, the onion usually posts real numbers within its fake news articles. I assume the murder rate quoted is correct. Faster and more fun to quote the onion article than look up the correct numbers from an official source.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:58 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,394,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
No city can be compared to Detroit's decay since that city is too far gone. When a city's downtown (extending beyond neighborhood decay) have vacant skyscrapers with with windows broken and boarded up then yeah I could see some comparison. Chicago isn't that bad. Gary,In can relate more with Detroit. Also Chicago has way more residential highrises
than some cities combined outside NYC which explains the large number of public highrise projects it had. You need to get out and travel more.

Chicago ranks 2nd outside NYC when it comes to urban residential highrise living public or private.
If these high rise private developments have poor management, they will ultimately have the same fate. Which is ultimately killed Chicago's public housing. The crime was there, definite but there was much more to it than that.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:48 PM

3,625 posts, read 7,155,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
All these cities were dangerous, but 980 murders is not really that many murders. Especially not for a city with a population of 2.8-3 million people. To be considered with the most dangerous cities of the crack epidemic like New Orleans or DC, Chicago would need to have atleast 1500-2000 murders and even that wouldn't put the city at over 80 murders per capita.
If D.C. or N.O. had even a million people, the whole dynamic of those cities would change. There would be a lot more nice neighborhoods to lower the crime rate

Old 11-10-2012, 07:17 PM

394 posts, read 1,131,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post
i could care less if you lived in a neighborhood that had 130 bodies a year, that had nothing to do with this thread and was a pretty pointless statement

we're comparing projects, and its pretty common knowledge that chicago's was by far worse then ny..they tore our projects down because the crime was out of control..we had gang wars with snipers shooting at people on the sidewalk, and at each other from building to building..if you didn't live in the building, and wasn't buying drugs, the gangs would pat you down
The projects were worse in their heyday but the city itself wasn't that dangerous compared to NYC. The projects in NYC were a lot more spread out than Chicago ones. Cabrini green and Robert Taylor homes were some of the biggest in the world. That's one example of why they had so much unruly crime in there. Too many people packed in on top of each other. Too many beefs.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:08 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,819,204 times
it had to be chicago all though in chicago only 2 housing projects were glorified(cabrini green/robert taylor)

nyc has much more, and in the crack days off coarse all were hell holes, but i think the main project that could of been compared to cabrini or robert was Prospect plaza projects in brownsville neighborhood.

those projects are gone now and are being rehabilitated.

funny thing about prospect plaza was that it was only 4 buildings on 2 block radius. Not your average large housing projects except its height(12, 13, 14 story buildings)

Old 11-11-2012, 01:10 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,819,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
If D.C. or N.O. had even a million people, the whole dynamic of those cities would change. There would be a lot more nice neighborhoods to lower the crime rate
yea i dont understand people who use the anology that mdallstar is using. Its the truth if all of these smaller cities had 8 million people they wouldn't have the demographics and social issues as much unless america was a third world country.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:13 AM

3,625 posts, read 7,155,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
yea i dont understand people who use the anology that mdallstar is using. Its the truth if all of these smaller cities had 8 million people they wouldn't have the demographics and social issues as much unless america was a third world country.
Yeah you cant really compare smaller cities to larger ones because if the land area was bigger then all the nice suburb towns would be part of the city.

Like if D.C. had 2 million people towns like alexandria and all the other suburbs in MD would be part of the city.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,980 posts, read 41,810,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis Island View Post
Cabrini green and Robert Taylor homes were some of the biggest in the world. That's one example of why they had so much unruly crime in there. Too many people packed in on top of each other. Too many beefs.
I said earlier the Alphabet City projects (not one project in name, but one continuous stretch from the Williamsburg Bridge to about 12th or 13th street east of Ave D) have as many people as Cabrini Green used to. Projects aren't great but nowhere near Cabrini Green levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or