Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times

Advertisements

I don't know which city was worse back then but if you wanna go by stats alot of neighborhoods in Chicago had similar crime rates to the neighborhhods in NYC during the early 90's. Chicago's murder rate was also similar to NYC's at the time. I guessing New York overall was worse just because there was more of this going on.

Now If your just talking projects, Chicago projects were much more notorious even w/o rap music. Cabrini and Robert Taylor get more press but the other smaller developments were bad themselves. Public Housing in NYC was/is pretty bad but in Chicago it was just a big Failiure period.

5-year-old was killed over candy - chicagotribune.com

mas23
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 05:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
To those saying comparing Chicago to NYC isn't valid are morons plain and simple... Reality is, Chicago is the closest city density wise sq.mile wise and project wise to NYC... Comparing any other city to Chicago in this country other than NYC would be idiotic. Now if we are comparing NYC to Chicago circa 2012, it's no contest... Chicago is miles worse than NYC currently and that Chief Keef movement is spreading like wildfire...

However to those local transplants who have lived here for six months and now consider themselves resident experts of how the city was 20-40 years ago, why don't you leave that for those natives who were born and raised here... What the OP is talking about isn't about the projects but the city overall... Seventhfloor is correct that CHA was worse than NYCHA in its heyday but notice that is not what revis was saying... He's talking about overall crime throughout the city and @ nei your comment comparing murder rates where chicago was at 34 per 100,000 while NYC was 31 per 100,000. That's true but what's also true is that the NYC population was always at least double or triple the size of Chicago's. So while their sq. mile radius is nearly identifal (about 240 sq.miles for chicago to about 300 sq. mile for NYC)... NYC probably had more than double the amount of homicides of Chicago in its heyday... For example, if we were to use 1991 as an example... The murder rate reached its peak I believe at somewhere around 2200 murders in NYC with a population approaching 7 million (Roughly around 6.6million). Likewise, if the peak for Chicago was in 1991 as well and it's population was around 2 million then at a murder rate of 34 per 100,000 680 people would have been murdered... That as opposed to NYC's 2200... You really cannot understand the ****hole that was NYC during the crack days...
If this thread is to discuss overall crime between the 2 cities then why is it named NYC Projects vs. Chicago Projects?

Old 11-11-2012, 05:22 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If this thread is to discuss overall crime between the 2 cities then why is it named NYC Projects vs. Chicago Projects?
because like most threads on city-data people end up using murder rates as their response to defend or attack a city.

when it comes to crimes the posters on city data are the most paranoid bunch.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 AM

398 posts, read 1,391,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post
i could care less if you lived in a neighborhood that had 130 bodies a year, that had nothing to do with this thread and was a pretty pointless statement

we're comparing projects, and its pretty common knowledge that chicago's was by far worse then ny..they tore our projects down because the crime was out of control..we had gang wars with snipers shooting at people on the sidewalk, and at each other from building to building..if you didn't live in the building, and wasn't buying drugs, the gangs would pat you down

Anon1 is right. Chicagos projects were worse in their heyday but a big factor was the massive size of them. Such a Cabrini green projects. But anon1 statement wasn't pointless because he's right New York City was a way more dangerous city back then. The projects are one thing but the city itself is a whole lot bigger. New York City projects back then were very very bad. Such as edenwald projects in the bronx. It as a deathtrap. It would've been worse than Cabrini if it held as many people as them. Gangs are also big in Chicago. Not so much in NYC. But they were still killing each other at an alarming rate. So the projects in NYC were just as bad as Cabrini based on their size compared to Cabrini. There was also a lot more projects in NYC so there was more poverty. If edenwald was the size of Cabrini with everyone packed together on top of each other than it probly would've been worse. I know for a fact those projects were terrible. Almost every project back then in NYC was terrible.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 AM

8 posts, read 8,544 times
Why are people always comparing NYC to Chicago in City Data? I don't get it. Totally different cities! Have people actually traveled to these two cities? They are among the most different major cities in the U.S.

And their projects are very different. NYC kept all its projects, because they have always been semi-decent places to live, and there is big demand to live there. Chicago destroyed most of its projects, because they were generally terrible hell-holes.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
When I stayed in Mott Haven back in september, The projects (or Mott Haven in general) weren't bad at all. The Mitchell Projects were at the end of the block, Mill Brook Projects two blocks in the other direction, I played basketball in the Patterson Projects. I walked around all hours of the night; no issues at all. BTW, I love the basketball courts in NYC.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
When I stayed in Mott Haven back in september, The projects (or Mott Haven in general) weren't bad at all. The Mitchell Projects were at the end of the block, Mill Brook Projects two blocks in the other direction, I played basketball in the Patterson Projects. I walked around all hours of the night; no issues at all. BTW, I love the basketball courts in NYC.
Eh. That has to be one of the worst areas of the city, though not the worst. I assume you're familiar enough with "hood" areas in general from other cities otherwise you wouldn't make that comment?

Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
New Yorkers don't care about Chicago projects.

Why should we?

NYers don't think about OTHER cities.

OTHER cities think about US.
Post FAIL. Arrogant and condescending. And, please note that this thread is on it's 7th page in less than a month. Yea, right no interest.

Last edited by BigLake; 11-15-2012 at 10:37 AM..

Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revis Island View Post
Anon1 is right. Chicagos projects were worse in their heyday but a big factor was the massive size of them. Such a Cabrini green projects. But anon1 statement wasn't pointless because he's right New York City was a way more dangerous city back then. The projects are one thing but the city itself is a whole lot bigger. New York City projects back then were very very bad. Such as edenwald projects in the bronx. It as a deathtrap. It would've been worse than Cabrini if it held as many people as them. Gangs are also big in Chicago. Not so much in NYC. But they were still killing each other at an alarming rate. So the projects in NYC were just as bad as Cabrini based on their size compared to Cabrini. There was also a lot more projects in NYC so there was more poverty. If edenwald was the size of Cabrini with everyone packed together on top of each other than it probly would've been worse. I know for a fact those projects were terrible. Almost every project back then in NYC was terrible.
What difference does it make? People live on top of each other in NYC projects also. Some of them are almost 30 stories tall. You also got different developments next to each other.

Chicago projects were just more sh*tty.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,674 times
No New york used to be way more dangerous than chicago from 70s through early 90s NY used to see 2000+ murders a year chicago only reached around 1200 at its peak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City