Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
There was some comparison of the two in the news media. So I wanted to hear what the average person thought about this.
The average person who has half a brain would say Katrina. Have you not seen how badly flooded New Orelans got after Hurricane Katrina?!

New Orleans is Flooded | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It seems like a ridiculous question to ask really, and almost somewhat offensive.

This is like asking which was worse the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake in Japan or the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake in SF. Wait, based on your thread, you probably can't even figure that one out either.

Last edited by JMT; 11-05-2012 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: Removed inappropriate language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Yikes. I forgot how about Katrina was.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,762 times
This irritates me, no offense, OP.

It comes down to ANYTHING that happens in or to NYC has got to be more important than anything that happens anywhere else in the country. Sandy was a Category One storm. Granted, it was unexpected and large and caused damage and death. But the flooding was MINIMAL compared to Katrina (a Category 3). To even compare the two is insulting. And federal response was at lightning speed compared to Katrina.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post

It comes down to ANYTHING that happens in or to NYC has got to be more important than anything that happens anywhere else in the country. Sandy was a Category One storm. Granted, it was unexpected and large and caused damage and death. But the flooding was MINIMAL compared to Katrina (a Category 3). To even compare the two is insulting. And federal response was at lightning speed compared to Katrina.
The categories only describe the wind speed not storm surge. For both storms, storm surge did the bulk of the damage. Sandy's storm surge was the highest recorded for Manhattan in 400 years, the storm surge was more typical of a category 3 hurricane. Katrina's storm surge was more typical of a category 5.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:06 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,238 times
I'm angry this comparison is even made/asked about. Certainly Sandy's damage wasn't nearly as widespread or devastating, the death toll was far lower, and furthermore there aren't legions of politicians and private citizens questioning the justification of rebuilding where Sandy hit, or asserting that large communities of people near the water should all be removed. Glad that you folks up there could be spared such debates, we weren't so lucky in Louisiana.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:44 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,508 times
I don't mind this thread, but by all accounts I've heard on Sandy, Katrina was much, MUCH worse.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:48 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,708 times
I think both storms shocked both cities and both were devastating natural disasters. When we evacuated for Katrina we thought we would go back home unscathed within 2 days.

There are big differences though. Sandy didn't even hit the coast as a hurricane. And Katrina's flooding was caused by shoddy work of the Federal Government's levees, not the hurricane itself. Not to mention the flood waters in New Orleans stayed in the city for over a week. No one was allowed back into the metropolitan area for months. We started the rebuilding process A LOT later than NYC is.

In regards to the flooding in New Orleans mostly affecting poor communities, that is not true at all. Katrina caused damage to whites, blacks, poor, rich, you name it. Million dollar mansions flooded and so did extremely poor communities. And again as I said earlier, the entire city was empty for months regardless of whether or not your house flooded. It took us years to rebuild and only in the past couple years or so have we really begun to grow again.

Also, Katrina shut down the huge amount of business that goes through the port of south louisiana. Obviously, NYC being shut down is costly but like I said above, the entire urban area of NOLA was absolutely not open to ANYONE for months after the storm. It happened on August 29th, I don't think I moved back to my completely unharmed home until late november, and I was lucky to be able to come back so early.

With that said, I know the people in the Northeast can get through this. It really opens your eyes to what's important in life.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:07 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I'm angry this comparison is even made/asked about. Certainly Sandy's damage wasn't nearly as widespread or devastating, the death toll was far lower, and furthermore there aren't legions of politicians and private citizens questioning the justification of rebuilding where Sandy hit, or asserting that large communities of people near the water should all be removed. Glad that you folks up there could be spared such debates, we weren't so lucky in Louisiana.
Sandy covered about 4X the area of Katrina, but where Katrina damaged, it destoryed and entire states coastline (MS was hit WAY harder than NJ) Not to mention the land rises much less quickly in the south so the storm surge penatrated as much as 12 miles inland with Katrina, VS 1-2 miles (including Barrier Islands) with Sandy.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:26 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,956 times
Katrina. Period.

End of thread.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
lol uhh katrina. Sandy would just be a run of the mill hurricane in the gulf coast. Katrina was the 6th strongest hurricane of all time.
come on now...

this is from biloxi 5 months after katrina...

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post

Katrina was actually a category 5 w/ 175 mph winds, it went down two notches right before landfall and hit as a very strong cat 3 but still had low milibars and similar devastation to a cat 5, like Hurricane Andrew.

There are neighborhoods along the gulf coast that still are abandonned and look terrible.

Restaurants and businesses were closed down for years. New Orleans went from 455k people to 210k after katrina b/c nobody could get into the cities, and in many cases there was no rebuilding.

Last edited by grapico; 11-05-2012 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City