U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:41 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,405,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
The way I see it, there are distinct differences between cities in the eastern half of the country and those of the western half of the country. None of this is to suggest that one is better than the other, but that they are just different. I much prefer the culture of western cities to eastern cities, and while they are all different, from my experiences and observations there are some generalizations one can make about western cities and eastern cities. Here we go:

Eastern: More passionate, rapid, loyal sports fans, and support may be more universal. People do engage in outdoor/nature recreation across their region/state but it is a lower priority or a niche activity.

Western: Outdoor recreation of various sorts of all levels is one of the higher priorities that people are into/value, while they have major league sports teams, many are somewhat indifferent or may only get into when team is doing well.

Eastern: Cities are dominated by older buildings. 100 year old rowhouses, factories/warehouses converted into lofts, etc. Obviously many new buildings too, but mixed in. More often seen as more "real cities" to urban enthusiasts.

Western: While there are certainly historic districts, mostly dominated by new buildings. Many neighborhoods or even downtown may have been smaller/more suburban at one time but then became more dense/urban over time (building modern apartments as infill, houses converted to apartments, modern office buildings/modern light rail). Because of this, often mistaken for suburban.

Eastern: Suburbs are relatively sleepy, family oriented that may even have a rural aesthetic, with many residents having deeper roots in area (at least relative to cities in general). (or convsersely may have bombed out rustbelt ghetto suburbs in some areas.

Western: Suburbs may be much more than bedroom communities with some significant attractions in their own right. Shopping, theme parks, etc. California is the epitome of this.

Eastern: Has distinct, even insular inner city ethnic/immigrant neighborhoods

Western: Immigrants/diversity more likely to be scattered/evenly distributed across metro area.

Eastern: Known for having beautiful parks, but more likely to be created/landscaped/manmade.

Western: City parks more likely "real nature" a wild hill/mountain/canyon/etc. in middle of city.

Eastern: While cities may have PLENTY of healthy eating options, people are more likely to rave about food unique and special to said city, that is widely known to be tasty, yet not healthy.

Western: Healthy eating higher priority, although cities may still have lots of unhealthy food too. More people are vegetarians, or eat animal products hunted or raised in organic/natural condition.

Eastern: Even if people are white collared professionals, those with blue collared roots, may not have lost their tough guy, straight talking blue collared way of speaking.

Western: More politically correct. Possibly even a little passive aggressive.

Anything else??

Its interesting where this divide begins and ends. On the Mississippi, St. Louis clearly feels like a eastern city, whereas Minneapolis feels a western city.

Obviously there are way more variations. One can not forget southern cities, etc. I think Texas cities are certainly more western than eastern. Big difference between Pac-NW and Southwestern, etc.

I know I'm going to get comments about how these are pointless generalizations, but I still think the patterns are significant enough, to make one prefer western or eastern more than the other.
This is very spot on. Good Job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 03:23 PM

8,664 posts, read 8,799,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
True about food. They think pizza is another food group. I've spoken to people who've never heard of a turkey dog. And, vegie burgers are like yelling fire in a crowded room.
Blue Collar, Tough guy/girl thing, definitely true. Less bravado would be better and less loud voices. Ouch. Western is more politically correct. Good observations IMO.
that's because making a hot dog healthy is a useless endeavor, to do that you would be changing it so much, its not even a hot dog anymore.

I agree the west is more individualistic, while the east is less so (which goes along with Driving VS PT)

Old 06-02-2013, 03:35 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,163,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
And, vegie burgers are like yelling fire in a crowded room.
If I want to eat vegetables, I'll eat vegetables. I don't need to disguise them as meat.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:39 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,551,432 times
Quote:
The way I see it, there are distinct differences between cities in the eastern half of the country and those of the western half of the country. None of this is to suggest that one is better than the other, but that they are just different. I much prefer the culture of western cities to eastern cities, and while they are all different, from my experiences and observations there are some generalizations one can make about western cities and eastern cities. Here we go:

Eastern: More passionate, rapid, loyal sports fans, and support may be more universal. People do engage in outdoor/nature recreation across their region/state but it is a lower priority or a niche activity.

Western: Outdoor recreation of various sorts of all levels is one of the higher priorities that people are into/value, while they have major league sports teams, many are somewhat indifferent or may only get into when team is doing well.

Eastern: Cities are dominated by older buildings. 100 year old rowhouses, factories/warehouses converted into lofts, etc. Obviously many new buildings too, but mixed in. More often seen as more "real cities" to urban enthusiasts.

Western: While there are certainly historic districts, mostly dominated by new buildings. Many neighborhoods or even downtown may have been smaller/more suburban at one time but then became more dense/urban over time (building modern apartments as infill, houses converted to apartments, modern office buildings/modern light rail). Because of this, often mistaken for suburban.

Eastern: Suburbs are relatively sleepy, family oriented that may even have a rural aesthetic, with many residents having deeper roots in area (at least relative to cities in general). (or convsersely may have bombed out rustbelt ghetto suburbs in some areas.

Western: Suburbs may be much more than bedroom communities with some significant attractions in their own right. Shopping, theme parks, etc. California is the epitome of this.

Eastern: Has distinct, even insular inner city ethnic/immigrant neighborhoods

Western: Immigrants/diversity more likely to be scattered/evenly distributed across metro area.

Eastern: Known for having beautiful parks, but more likely to be created/landscaped/manmade.

Western: City parks more likely "real nature" a wild hill/mountain/canyon/etc. in middle of city.

Eastern: While cities may have PLENTY of healthy eating options, people are more likely to rave about food unique and special to said city, that is widely known to be tasty, yet not healthy.

Western: Healthy eating higher priority, although cities may still have lots of unhealthy food too. More people are vegetarians, or eat animal products hunted or raised in organic/natural condition.

Eastern: Even if people are white collared professionals, those with blue collared roots, may not have lost their tough guy, straight talking blue collared way of speaking.

Western: More politically correct. Possibly even a little passive aggressive.

Anything else??

Its interesting where this divide begins and ends. On the Mississippi, St. Louis clearly feels like a eastern city, whereas Minneapolis feels a western city.

Obviously there are way more variations. One can not forget southern cities, etc. I think Texas cities are certainly more western than eastern. Big difference between Pac-NW and Southwestern, etc.

I know I'm going to get comments about how these are pointless generalizations, but I still think the patterns are significant enough, to make one prefer western or eastern more than the other.
Extremely Broad Generalization, Maybe true for some cities but definitely not all!

Old 06-02-2013, 04:00 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,889,598 times
Quote:

I agree with much of what you have said. It is interesting that much of what is different about Minneapolis vs St Paul is encapsulated in the differences you described between east and west. Minneapolis has always struck me as being more like the west coast than the east in terms of culture and built form but it is somewhat less the case in St Paul.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 06-02-2013 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or