Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 05:12 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Miami continues to grow, and is even more vulnurable than Houston to hurricanes...
Did I or did I not say I don't think a Hurricane will destroy Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 05:17 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
^^ Uh, those are pictures of Galveston Island and Bolivar. Not Houston. I think most people know Houston is not directly on the coast like that.

Like someone else said, Miami and FL in general are at a much higher risk. Not only does most of FL jut out into the ocean (unlike TX), but it sits in an area where storms haven't yet had the chance to be weakened as they often are in the central/western Gulf of Mexico before hitting land.
The Gulf can strengthen Hurricanes..It did that to Katrina.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:20 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
One Moody Plaza in Galveston looks very similar to One Shell Plaza in Houston. But I can assure you that the pic Boston14 posted is of One Moody Plaza in Galveston.
No I believe you. Its been awhile since I've been to Galveston.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:28 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Did I or did I not say I don't think a Hurricane will destroy Houston?
I misread your post, my bad.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:44 PM

867 posts, read 2,138,890 times
I doubt it but its possible its HIGHLY unlikely but possible

Old 07-26-2009, 07:44 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,826,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
This is false.
It is not false
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Only one of those pictures is Houston and that's the last one. Also one of those is I think Cuba....
They all resemble the Houston Metro
Quote:
Boston14, please go purchase a map and study it. That's not Houston.
I know were Houston is so dont tell me to purchase a map.
Quote:
That last picture is not in Houston. That building in the background in One Moody Plaza in Galveston.

Boston14 posted all pictures of Galveston and not Houston.
I posted Houston pics to

Old 07-26-2009, 07:51 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
It is not false

They all resemble the Houston Metro

I know were Houston is so dont tell me to purchase a map.

I posted Houston pics to
Wrong! None of those pics are of Houston. Sorry, you can't win this one. No use arguing with people who actually live in Houston and went through the storm. None of our houses blew away no matter how much you want to convince us of that.

Have you ever heard of Galveston or Bolivar Peninsula? It's not Houston. Do I need to post a map of the Gulf Coast for you? By the time the storm reached Houston it was considerably weaker. Strong enough to take down power lines and roof damage, but not strong enough to destroy someone's home. You see that Island over 50 miles away from Houston? That's Galveston, not Houston. Many of those pics were of Bolivar Peninsula which is even further from Houston than Galveston is. You didn't post a single picture of Houston.

Here you go:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-26-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Wrong! None of those pics are of Houston. Sorry, you can't win this one. No use arguing with people who actually live in Houston and went through the storm. None of our houses blew away no matter how much you want to convince us of that.

Have you ever heard of Galveston or Bolivar Peninsula? It's not Houston. Do I need to post a map of the Gulf Coast for you?
THE LAST PIC NOW DROP THE CONVERSATION. The only reason all this started is because I made one statement. Now let it go! And You do not have to provide me a map I am not from the second grade.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:02 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
THE LAST PIC NOW DROP THE CONVERSATION. The only reason all this started is because I made one statement. Now let it go! And You do not have to provide me a map I am not from the second grade.
That last pic is not Houston. That building in the pic is One Moody Plaza. Which is in Galveston, TX.

Why do you think One Moody Plaza is in Houston?

If you don't believe me just click on the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Moody_Plaza

It's actually a pretty famous building in Galveston because it's the tallest building in Galveston. It's actually in Downtown Galveston.

One Moody Plaza is a 23 floor skyscraper at 1902 Market Street in Downtown Galveston, Texas, United States. The building was designed by the architectural firm of Neuhaus & Taylor.[1] At its completion in 1972, One Moody Plaza was the tallest building in all of Galveston County, Texas, standing 357.6 feet (109 m) tall.[2]
The American National Insurance Company, one of the top 100 largest companies in the Houston area, is headquartered in this building.[3][4]
[edit]History

The building opened in 1972 and remained the tallest building in Galveston until 2007 when two condominium towers were completed nearby. [5] At one time the 20th floor housed an observation deck, open to the general public. However in the 1990s, it was closed due to security and liability concerns. [6]

Old 07-26-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
That last pic is not Houston. That building in the pic is One Moody Plaza. Which is in Galveston, TX.

Why do you think One Moody Plaza is in Houston?

If you don't believe me just click on the link:

One Moody Plaza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's actually a pretty famous building in Galveston because it's the largest building in Galveston. It's actually in Downtown Galveston.
Enough I thought it was another place in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City