U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 492 41.59%
No 691 58.41%
Voters: 1183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 PM

721 posts, read 1,574,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Goes both ways then.
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 09:11 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,841,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
No.
Ok.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:11 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,809,998 times
Housing growth;

Housing Intelligence - Houston, You Donít Have a Problem

Economic growth;

CARPE DIEM: Houston: The Next Great World City?

Affordability;

Houston gets high marks on housing affordability study - Houston Business Journal:

Houston 2035;

Livable Houston Magazine

^^ On a more serious note though, I think it's growing faster than it can keep up with, oh goshhh we're going to be taking all this growth out on our tree's.

Anyone want to post some up for Chi-Town?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:19 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,416,865 times
Quote:
Just like you guys are certain that Houston's won't pass Chicago and slow down considerably in growth. I have a different opinion. It goes both ways.

Well, you tried, I'll give you that.

At least you finally understand where I'm coming from now.

The funny thing is your the only Houston forumer who is still fighting the tideous argument.. In this thread more people agreed that it won't pass Chicago.. Yeah I know there is a life outside this forum but for now.. The poll and opinons of others says something different.. This thread really needs to retire and not ever be brought back too life...

Old 05-10-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
The funny thing is your the only Houston forumer who is still fighting the tideous argument.. In this thread more people agreed that it won't pass Chicago.. Yeah I know there is a life outside this forum but for now.. The poll and opinons of others says something different.. This thread really needs to retire and not ever be brought back too life...
This thread is almost three years old. Reasons people voted back then could be different now, and really, a City-Data poll is not the end all, be all. And I'm definitely not the only Houston forumer. Plus, there are two Chicago forumers arguing in favor of Chicago. I am of Houston. Big deal. What's your problem with it? That I disagree with what the Chicago posters are saying? We all have different opinions, and mine has already been said. None of us are wrong or right, as of now. We'll know 40 years from now. I've been saying this for a while, but Chicago forumers seem to want their opinion to be fact and the end all, be all. LOL!

It looks like I've built a big fanbase in this thread.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:42 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,416,865 times
Quote:
This thread is almost three years old. Reasons people voted back then could be different now, and really, a City-Data poll is not the end all, be all. And I'm definitely not the only Houston forumer. Plus, there are two Chicago forumers arguing in favor of Chicago. I am of Houston. Big deal. What's your problem with it?
No problem sir you proven your point what else is there to say??? Who are u trying to convince??? Is it going to make u feel better if everyone agreed with u.?? Do u love debating ??! Are u not able too see there's no truth to anyones predictionns and that there is not need to repeat the samething over and over and over again.. Why do u have over 85 post alone more than any Houston forumer???.... Anyway my last post this site isn't that serious to be going back and forth like this.. Let me finish my homework something that's worth 2 and 3 hours...

Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
No problem sir you proven your point what else is there to say??? Who are u trying to convince??? Is it going to make u feel better if everyone agreed with u.?? Do u love debating ??! Are u not able too see there's no truth to anyones predictionns and that there is not need to repeat the samething over and over and over again.. Why do u have over 85 post alone more than any Houston forumer???.... Anyway my last post this site isn't that serious to be going back and forth like this.. Let me finish my homework something that's worth 2 and 3 hours...
See, now you're just trying to become Drover's copy machine. What the hell is the point of the bolded parts (especially my post count)? Am I not suppose to have more posts than other Houston forumers in this thread? That's pretty weak. It was a clean back and forth argument in my eyes, until Drover stepped in and tried to stir things up. Both sides were posting opinions back and forth. Don't know what the big deal is. Yes, I have made my point. Have you not made your point? You are also posting the same thing over and over again. Hell, from now on, I guess no two posts in a thread can have the same opinion said by a poster.

This is VERY stupid. Seriously.

And I have that many posts in a thread that I've probably been posting in since my join date. Big effin' deal.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:42 AM

I find it really hard to believe that I'm the only one actually talking about the real topic now. And to make things worse, I feel as if I'm talking to myself, since I'm posting links and projections for Houston, no one is countering it in anyway...

Lol..

Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,677,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Housing growth;

Housing Intelligence - Houston, You Don’t Have a Problem

Economic growth;

CARPE DIEM: Houston: The Next Great World City?

Affordability;

Houston gets high marks on housing affordability study - Houston Business Journal:

Houston 2035;

Livable Houston Magazine

^^ On a more serious note though, I think it's growing faster than it can keep up with, oh goshhh we're going to be taking all this growth out on our tree's.

Anyone want to post some up for Chi-Town?
Haha! I'll help you out Omshahi. According to you link, it would appear that the Houston metro is expected to gain around 3.5 million new residence in 25 years, which doesn't sound all that unreasonable. So if our metro is around 6 million at the moment, that would mean we are projected to reach about 8.5 million by 2035. Granted, it doesn't give the estimates for the city limits which might be nearly impossible to determine considering the rapidly changing urban landscape of Houston.

But anyway, the current population of Houston's city limits right now is about 2.4 million and I believe Chicago is somewhere around 2.9 or 3 million. That's only about a 5 or 6 hundred thousand difference in population to make up by 2050 which doesn't seem all that unlikely considering the size and current growth rate of Houston. The metro area on the other hand, I don't see us passing Chicago in 40 years. That seems very unlikely. The Metroplex might, but I doubt Houston will.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Haha! I'll help you out Omshahi. According to you link, it would appear that the Houston metro is expected to gain around 3.5 million new residence in 25 years, which doesn't sound all that unreasonable. So if our metro is around 6 million at the moment, that would mean we are projected to reach about 8.5 million by 2035. Granted, it doesn't give the estimates for the city limits which might be nearly impossible to determine considering the rapidly changing urban landscape of Houston.

But anyway, the current population of Houston's city limits right now is about 2.4 million and I believe Chicago is somewhere around 2.9 or 3 million. That's only about a 5 or 6 hundred thousand difference in population to make up by 2050 which doesn't seem all that unlikely considering the size and current growth rate of Houston. The metro area on the other hand, I don't see us passing Chicago in 40 years. That seems very unlikely. The Metroplex might, but I doubt Houston will.
Thanks WpMeads!

Yeah I already know our metropolitan area won't be surpassing Chicago's in this half of the century for sure. And I really doubt DFW will either, even though they have a 700,000 lead on us, I highly doubt their metropolitan area is going to pass Chicago on by either in this half of the century.

Demographics | Greater Houston Partnership

^ Projections state that even by 2040 we're still going to be 5th as far as metropolitan area goes, meaning obviously NYC, LA, Chicago will be the first three and DFW will be 4th, then us. The metro is a done deal for Chicago, they're keeping that title for a long time to come.

And I don't even want to get started about CSA, we're actually really far behind in that! Lol...

But yes, I am sure by 2035-2040 Houston surely will take over as the 3rd largest city, UNLESS Chicago somehow manages to reverse decades of suburban growth and attract more to the city, because Chicago's been working really hard on improving living conditions downtown (Not that they needed it) and the young population in Chicago is attracted more to the downtown area.

It'll be quite interesting to see Houston and Chicago like this;

Houston 3rd largest city
Chicago 3rd largest Metropolitan area

Lol, once again, Houston's CSA isn't worth mentioning! We have 5 other CSA's to take over we can go to Chicago!

^^ LOL look at the land size of LA CSA!! Holy cowww...

Last edited by DANNYY; 05-11-2010 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or