U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 492 41.62%
No 690 58.38%
Voters: 1182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 02:31 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,762,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Hopefully demand comes soon. It's a shame to see this area not being utilized.
Not as much of a shame as the Chicago Spire being canceled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 02:36 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,482,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Not as much of a shame as the Chicago Spire being canceled.
I'm actually happy it's cancelled. I thought the location of the tower was all wrong, and it would have been a detriment to the skyline. Also the fact that it looks like a massive female-pleasuring device doesn't earn it any points.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I'm actually happy it's cancelled. I thought the location of the tower was all wrong, and it would have been a detriment to the skyline. Also the fact that it looks like a massive female-pleasuring device doesn't earn it any points.
LOL! You mean to a guy it doesn't.

Anyways, it's not canceled, it's just on hold, but it's not looking too good for it either.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
LOL! You mean to a guy it doesn't.
Huh?

Old 05-11-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Huh?
Lol, I meant that a guy wouldn't have any interest in it's design after reading your description for it.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:46 PM

18,600 posts, read 26,981,804 times
Quote:
^ LOL! What? Houston officially is 600,000-800,000 (Somewhere in that range) still behind Chicago. What do you mean if everyone filled out the census it would surpass Chicago?

Metaphorically, the census people literally go through each city and count every human soul living there, even the hobos. Lol.
I will not be surprised if Chicago surpasses 3 million in this coming census.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I actually have a feeling that it's going to happen too, either that or it'll come pretty damn close to it!

Old 05-11-2010, 03:33 PM

721 posts, read 1,570,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'd love to see this happen, but I think we'll be somewhere in between 2.9 million and 3 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Yes, Chicago actually does have a large amount of land, that in theory, could be developed. Most of the South-East side of the city is industrial areas that no longer serve a purpose, Parts of the near west side and west side are also largely underdeveloped. Is it as much land as Houston? No way. Is it going to be developed? Doubt it, but it does exist.
Chicago's most severely abandoned areas have little to no chance for revival in any of our lifetimes. There's little to no access to public transit, and the cost for knocking the crumbling buildings and infrastructure and replacing them with new ones would be astronomical. The closest thing that could possibly happen in our lifetimes would be the construction of a new airport down there, which again, I doubt will happen.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Lol, I meant that a guy wouldn't have any interest in it's design after reading your description for it.
Haha, yea I guess not...I'd much rather Waterview Tower be built than the Spire. Looks a lot less like a wang and more like a skyscraper I'd like to live in.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:40 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,813,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Just a few blocks south of the Loop (chicago - Google Maps) there's a former rail yard that is slated for development when the economy turns around.

There's 500 acres on the south lakefront that used to be a huge steel mill (chicago - Google Maps) There are plans for development into an entirely new neighborhood. (Chicago, Illinois: USX South Works Redevelopment Plan)

Will it happen? Who knows. There's definitely plenty of brownfield sites which could be developed if the demand was there. Aside from these essentially blank-slate large scale projects, there's huge areas on the south and west side where every other building has been torn down. Some infill occurred during the bubble of the past few years, but there's plenty more left. Its just a matter of generating demand.
That's really good. I'd like to see Chicago redevelop some of its older sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or