U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 492 41.55%
No 692 58.45%
Voters: 1184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:16 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,757,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Thanks. Is that term only used in Chicago or other places? It sounds very prestigious.
No I've heard towns in TX use the term alderman. The term doesn't get used very often. I assume it's one of those older terms that hardly anybody uses any more. These days everybody just says city council.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 01:51 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,441,000 times
Nice article

Quote:
I really liked Rick Casey's column today noting the similarities between Houston and Chicago, something I've noted before here.
Chicago fans may not be aware of it, but when they come to Houston this week they will be visiting their younger brother.
Houston is, in so many ways, a strapping adolescent version of Chicago.

Consider some similarities:
  • •Both are cities that work. Despite traffic problems (you wouldn't swap rush hour on the Katy Freeway for rush hour on the Dan Ryan Expressway), these are cities where the trash gets picked up, the police control crowds and things get built.
  • •Both are cities for workers. As I've noted before, Mayor Bill White talks about Houston as a city where nobody comes to retire. The same is true of Chicago. They are places of ambition, whether for blue-collar workers, entrepreneurs or executives.
  • •Both have, by design, strong mayors. They want their elected leaders to be able to get things done. Both are Democratic cities in Republican states.
  • Both are great immigrant cities. Chicago was a magnet in the late 19th and early 20th centuries to hundreds of thousands of Poles, Czechs, Italians, Irish and others. Houston is today attracting hundreds of thousands of Asians, Latin Americans, Africans and others. ...
  • Both are great restaurant towns. We have fabulous high-dollar restaurants because there is plenty of money to support them and wonderful inexpensive restaurants because of the immigrants.
Where I think I'd disagree with Rick is on characterizing Houston as an "adolescent" in comparison to Chicago. I'd characterize Chicago as an older gentleman: moderately healthy, but past his prime and beginning a genteel decline (at least decline relative to fast-growth cities in the south and west). It's certainly in better shape than most of its Midwestern brethern, but that's not saying much. It's the slow-growth capital of a stagnant and even declining region as its industrial base migrates around the world. (imho, bankrupt GM-supplier Delphi asking for 2/3 pay cuts (!) while GM and Ford lose billions is the beginning of a very painful reckoning for the high-pay union-labor manufacturing base of the Midwest).

In my mind, Houston's adolescence and young adulthood was from the NASA and Astrodome 60s through the urban-cowboy, oil-boom days of the 70s and very early 80s. We're now more like a 30-something: still young, but much more mature - and still a good distance from our peak.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Nice article
Yeah I agree.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:35 AM

571 posts, read 1,132,891 times
Neat article. I know folks from Chicago who have moved to Houston and they say it wasn't really that big of an adjustment for them aside from the climate differences. They did say they felt Houston was a tad more laid back but I think it's all relative.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Neat article. I know folks from Chicago who have moved to Houston and they say it wasn't really that big of an adjustment for them aside from the climate differences. They did say they felt Houston was a tad more laid back but I think it's all relative.
There's not that much of a difference. Most big cities are about the same. Usually when I go to other cities I feel they're all about the same.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:24 AM

486 posts, read 915,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
There's not that much of a difference. Most big cities are about the same. Usually when I go to other cities I feel they're all about the same.
Funny, I think most small towns are just as or more similar than bigger cities. I think you should visit NYC and then someplace like Jacksonville, FL or Houston and tell me they're the same.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:28 AM

1,680 posts, read 3,187,366 times
As far as population inside the city limits, yes.

As far as MSA (metro area population) which includes the suburbs, no.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:40 AM

335 posts, read 564,980 times
houston will pass chicago at some point i mean the city is spread out over 579 square miles. you could fit ten minneapolises in houston and you would still have 29 square miles to spare.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:51 AM

13,266 posts, read 10,401,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
They're not alike at all if you live in one of the higher density nabes in Chicago.

It's a different experience living in a more urban neighborhood in Chicago, Boston, SF than it is in Houston or Atlanta.

Not better or worse, just very different.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:13 AM

16 posts, read 13,651 times
My comments in bold below:

Consider some similarities:
•"Both are cities that work. Despite traffic problems (you wouldn't swap rush hour on the Katy Freeway for rush hour on the Dan Ryan Expressway), these are cities where the trash gets picked up, the police control crowds and things get built. "

Cities that work? Maybe they control the crowds but the crime in Chicago is bad and much worse than in LA or NYC. Check the FBI's stats.

•"Both are cities for workers. As I've noted before, Mayor Bill White talks about Houston as a city where nobody comes to retire. The same is true of Chicago. They are places of ambition, whether for blue-collar workers, entrepreneurs or executives. "

Nobody comes to retire to any really big city in America. That's not just a similarity between Chicago and Houston.

•"Both have, by design, strong mayors. They want their elected leaders to be able to get things done. Both are Democratic cities in Republican states."

Is Illinois really a Republican state? Since when?

[/indent]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or