U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 492 41.55%
No 692 58.45%
Voters: 1184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2007, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Katy-zuela
4,852 posts, read 9,002,567 times
Reputation: 2364

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Houstonians are fat in one of the fattest states in the country. Stop making excuses. The factors which Men's Fitness magazine highlighted come together to make Houston a haven for obesity. It's not the lack of fitness centers that is the problem in Houston. I doubt the fitness that do exist are bursting at the seams. Many Houstonians are slamming Whataburger down their throats, hopping in the car, driving home, and watching movies in their air conditioned homes with a bag of large popcorn, a liter of Coke, and a box of Milk Duds.

http://www.houston.org/blackfenders/15AW001.pdf (broken link)
Then the next year, they picked Chicago. Come on! Must be the coastal elites bashing Middle America. They attacked both capitals of Middle America consecutively.

Quote:
The link above shows that oil mining represents the largest sector of Houston's Gross Area Product. Without oil, Houston would suffer greatly. Stop denying it.

Gross metropolitan product - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's hilarious that you think because Dallas's and Phoenix's skyscrapers aren't as tall as Houston's, you have a case for anything. Dallas has a larger metro area, has a much larger metropolitan economy than Houston. .

Phoenix is in jeoapardy of overtaking Houston in population. That has been my claim all along. When the oil industry slows, Houston's population growth will slow, as well.

Houston is still a city below many people's radars. Sure it might be a hub of interest for Texans and people in Western Louisiana, but that's about it. Dallas is a much more prominent city in Texas, despite its lower population.
What exactly does Phoenix do? Lots of retirees and low-wage jobs like call centres. I'm sure that once water runs out, the mirage will become deserted again. Don't forget your most prominent Senator, John McCain had a mole removed from his face because of skin cancer. That's not good publicity for Phoenix or Arizona in general. Is that why Flagstaff is the better place but no-one has heard of it yet?

Phoenix is still below people's radars. Sure it may be a hub of interest in the Southwest, but that's about it. Houston is even more well known than Phoenix. Just look at the GaWC. L.A. is the predominant city in the West, especially with the weather factored in. I didn't like Palm Springs, so there is no reason why I would traverse the heat to visit a no-name city like Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2007, 09:18 PM
 
Location: 602/520
2,441 posts, read 6,126,847 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
You go ahead and believe that.
I will. Guess you ran into a brick wall? No excuse to come up with.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
By just two billion. DFW is about 600,000 larger than Houston and Houston is about to surpass its GDP.
Houston isn't about to do anything. You act like Dallas' GDP isn't growing either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Who said Houston was going to pass DFW? Regardless, Houston has been growing faster (meaning more people) than DFW since 2002. DFW just had a big year in 2001, which is why it is seen as growing faster than Houston from 2001-2006.
Really? A big year? The fact is, it's still growing faster.

Yeah, the gap is closing by 1,000 people every six years. Houston already has a good 500,000. Calculate and see how long it will take for Phoenix to surpass Houston.[/quote]

So, we have seen that the article from Christian Science stated that 150,000 people were in Houston in 2006, at the SAME TIME that the latest population counts were taken. You refuse to acknowledge actual demographic counts, and just go off of what you perceive. Since Phoenix is growing at twice the rate of Houston (34%) a decade that would put Phoenix at 1.77 million by 2010. 2020 - 2.4 million. 2030 - 3.2 million. Houston growing at 16 percent. 2.3 milion by 2010. 2020 - 2.7 million. 2030 - 3.1 million. Look around 2025-2030 for Houston to be passed by Phoenix. These are at current growth rates. 20 years. And you want to tell me that percentages don't mean anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Alright, but I have seen reports saying there weren't that many still in Meto Houston.
Really? You've seen reports? Well until you can post those "reports," I'm not going to take your word for anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
What are you talking about? Do you know what you are talking about? If a town of five people gains 20, but a town of 300 people gains 40, which town will have a larger percentage growth rate? Which will have more growth with actual raw numbers?
Raw numbers don't mean anything. As you can see growth rates are substantial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
You act like the oil industry is going to go under tomorrow. Anyway, yeah, Houston would take a hit, but it would be nothing like the 80's.
When the oil industry goes under, which will happen in the next 30 years, I hope Houston can bounce back.

The rest of your thread is irrelevant. I prove one point about Dallas that you didn't know, you provide me with statistics that are irrelevant to anything. Who cares that Dallas is a primarily domestic airline hub? Who cares that Houston has one of the largest Vietnamese populations in the United States?
That's not allow Houston to pass Chicago.

I am starting to agree that this thread is getting further and further away from it's original intentions. All of my repetitive points have been to provide reference on why Houston will not pass Chicago to become the nation's 3rd largest city, because of Phoenix.

You're convinced that's not possible because Houston's has more international flights, taller buildings, more traditional urban architecture, and more diversity. Uhh, your points are invalid. I have shown that Phoenix will pass Houston because of our growth rate is significantly higher. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,610,847 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Houston isn't about to do anything. You act like Dallas' GDP isn't growing either.
No I'm not. Dallas' GDP is growing. Houston's is just growing faster and will surpass it next year.

Quote:
Really? A big year? The fact is, it's still growing faster.
Yeah, because of that one big year in 2000. It dropped off significantly since then, while Houston remained steady, and actually kept getting higher and higher.

Quote:
So, we have seen that the article from Christian Science stated that 150,000 people were in Houston in 2006, at the SAME TIME that the latest population counts were taken. You refuse to acknowledge actual demographic counts, and just go off of what you perceive. Since Phoenix is growing at twice the rate of Houston (34%) a decade that would put Phoenix at 1.77 million by 2010. 2020 - 2.4 million. 2030 - 3.2 million. Houston growing at 16 percent. 2.3 milion by 2010. 2020 - 2.7 million. 2030 - 3.1 million. Look around 2025-2030 for Houston to be passed by Phoenix. These are at current growth rates. 20 years. And you want to tell me that percentages don't mean anything?
Stop using percentages. They are really meaningless when you put them up against raw numbers. Have you not noticed that Phoenix's percentage growth rate has dropped and continued to drop since 1990? It is because Phoenix is getting larger. You say Phoenix is growing at 34% a year, but that only equates to about 191,000 from 2001-2006. Houston did 190,000 in that time. I guarantee you that next year, the percentage growth rate will drop again (like it has been), but the raw numbers will stay the same.

Quote:
Really? You've seen reports? Well until you can post those "reports," I'm not going to take your word for anything.
Sure thing.

Quote:
Raw numbers don't mean anything. As you can see growth rates are substantial.
Why don't raw numbers mean anything? Because it shows the actual amount of people moving in?

Quote:
When the oil industry goes under, which will happen in the next 30 years, I hope Houston can bounce back.
It isn't going to happen in the next thirty years.

Quote:
The rest of your thread is irrelevant. I prove one point about Dallas that you didn't know, you provide me with statistics that are irrelevant to anything. Who cares that Dallas is a primarily domestic airline hub? Who cares that Houston has one of the largest Vietnamese populations in the United States? That's not allow Houston to pass Chicago.
Yeah it will. The more people around the world that are attracted to Houston, the more it will grow.

Quote:
I am starting to agree that this thread is getting further and further away from it's original intentions. All of my repetitive points have been to provide reference on why Houston will not pass Chicago to become the nation's 3rd largest city, because of Phoenix.
You just use percentage numbers to try and get your point across. Percentages drop as the city get larger.

Quote:
You're convinced that's not possible because Houston's has more international flights, taller buildings, more traditional urban architecture, and more diversity. Uhh, your points are invalid. I have shown that Phoenix will pass Houston because of our growth rate is significantly higher. End of story.
Your convinced that Phoenix will surpass Houston over meaningless percentage numbers (which have been dropping). Percentage growth drops don't mean the city isn't growing as fast as it was. The city just got larger, so the percentage rates drop. Look at my example from the last page.

City A has 10 people and gains 40. That means it has a faster percentage growth rate. City B has 500 people and grew by 60. It would have a lower percentage growth rate, but more people moved to City B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Texas
327 posts, read 683,164 times
Reputation: 127
It's amazing how many people think they know Houston better than the people who actually live there.

I guess it's just a miracle that this area has produced so many great athletes with everybody being so fat. I guess my eye's were deceiving me when I was out and about this week and saw more fit people than fat people. I guess some moron who doesn't even live here knows better than me.

I guess if I ever need advice on a town somewhere in the states, I'll ask somebody who lives halfway across the country from that town and doesn't know anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2007, 12:27 AM
 
Location: 602/520
2,441 posts, read 6,126,847 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Power View Post
It's amazing how many people think they know Houston better than the people who actually live there.

I guess it's just a miracle that this area has produced so many great athletes with everybody being so fat. I guess my eye's were deceiving me when I was out and about this week and saw more fit people than fat people. I guess some moron who doesn't even live here knows better than me.

I guess if I ever need advice on a town somewhere in the states, I'll ask somebody who lives halfway across the country from that town and doesn't know anything about it.
I don't THINK I know anything about Houston. I know what the statistics are. I guess since you live in Houston, you think you have know everything about it.

Statistics don't lie. You all live in one of the fattest cities in the country. I am glad that you remember the majority of the people who you saw this week, and made a note on their waistline. That's normal. I'm sure Houston is the hometown of so many athletes that it would actually make a difference on statistics. You all don't even trust a study done by your own major research hospital. Guess they don't know Houston, either.

I'm sorry that you have to resort to name calling because you can't engage in a coherent conversation. Guess it would be too much exercise to carry on an adult-level debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2007, 12:59 AM
 
Location: Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,610,847 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I don't THINK I know anything about Houston. I know what the statistics are. I guess since you live in Houston, you think you have know everything about it.

Statistics don't lie. You all live in one of the fattest cities in the country. I am glad that you remember the majority of the people who you saw this week, and made a note on their waistline. That's normal. I'm sure Houston is the hometown of so many athletes that it would actually make a difference on statistics. You all don't even trust a study done by your own major research hospital. Guess they don't know Houston, either.

I'm sorry that you have to resort to name calling because you can't engage in a coherent conversation. Guess it would be too much exercise to carry on an adult-level debate.
You do know we all live in the FATTEST country in the world?

And according to the City of Houston's residents average BMI, we are the third skinniest city in America.

There is a problem with obesity in children all across America. No city is exempt from that, BUT that does not mean the overall City of Houston is obese.

Oh, and you do claim to know a lot about Houston. You say it lives in Dallas' shadow, which a former Dallas resident said was laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2007, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,653 posts, read 27,092,504 times
Reputation: 9584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Oh, and you do claim to know a lot about Houston. You say it lives in Dallas' shadow, which a former Dallas resident said was laughable.
Well, if you're referring to me, I never actually lived in Dallas. I lived just north of Austin. But point well noted. Houston has never lived in Dallas' shadow and never will.

Also, I'm tired of people using statistics to make their point. If you walk around Houston consistently, you'll see that those numbers are a bunch of crap. Yes there are obesity people in Houston. Just like there are in New York, Chicago, Washington DC, Los Angeles etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Lakeview, Chicago
436 posts, read 1,206,538 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by lategreattex View Post
The reason Houston has passed Chicago as the sweatiest and fattest, (they left out butt-ugly), is because it's become overpopuated with people FROM Chicago and other parts of the midwest, just like Dallas has and unfortunately the rest of Texas if somebody doesn't put up a big ol fence on the Northern border instead of the Mexican border. No longer are you comparing Texans to Midwesterners...because they are all moving here. That is why Texas is now the most unfriendly state, the least romantic state, one of the fattest states, worst traffic, one of the top polluted states, highest crime states....you name it anything bad that Texas can be listed for is due to TRANSPLANTS!!!
Amen! Please quit moving here! We have more than enough people here already from north of here and from south of the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 69,449,604 times
Reputation: 10118
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
Amen! Please quit moving here! We have more than enough people here already from north of here and from south of the border.
Here is one northerner who resents ignorant people and would never live in TX solely because of people like yourself. "Y'all" have a nice day now, ya hear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2007, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,610,847 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Here is one northerner who resents ignorant people and would never live in TX solely because of people like yourself. "Y'all" have a nice day now, ya hear?
Don't paint a picture of Texas based on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top