Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 09:15 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
I like Texas, but Chicago has a unique place in America, I would not want it surpassed by Houston.
Houston is unique in its own right as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 09:40 PM

468 posts, read 790,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
See now, if you can show me the number of commuters it will increase- a rough estimate by any source/link. And if you can show me that Milwaukee MSA to Chicago MSA has more than even 1% commuters (currently it only has .7% commuters) then i'll go along with that story.

But so far, I haven't seen any validation to this Chicago/Milwaukee CSA happening- anytime in the near 20 year future, especially because it doesn't have the level of commuters right now to sustain that (there has to be a specific percentage of commuters for a unified CSA). I mean if the levels are this low right now, you honestly cannot expect that by 2020 it'll be so dramatically higher...

I just want to see proof people.

And to the poster who commented above you- yeah many people still think Chicago is the more important city over Los Angeles. Obviously that mind set isn't ever going to change.
This thread is talking about Houston CITY and Chicago CITY, I don't know where the hell all this urban area nonsense comes out from when talking about
"is Houston going to surpass Chicago as the third largest
city".
Also, Phoenix doesn't have any major city developments going on. Houston does, there's a big difference between those two cities and how they're making
their transition- like I said, we'll s

By the way- Everyone have a good 4th of July.

It's doesn't matter pheonix is still larger than Philly, developments.. Or no developments. Which goes to show u that having huge city limits has it's benefits. This is one benefit Houston will have that it has a chance to take 3rd... City limits are a mess when trying to tell how large a city really is....I don't think any of the people from Chicago are worried about this.. I think Houston has more prove that it deserves to be 3rd

Old 07-04-2010, 09:45 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
It's doesn't matter pheonix is still larger than Philly, developments.. Or no developments. Which goes to show u that having huge city limits has it's benefits. This is one benefit Houston will have that it has a chance to take 3rd... City limits are a mess when trying to tell how large a city really is....I don't think any of the people from Chicago are worried about this.. I think Houston has more prove that it deserves to be 3rd
Well then why don't you go and make a thread about Houston surpassing Chicago and being able to prove it by becoming more important. I am getting tired of playing these games with my fellow Chicagoans.

This one is JUST ABOUT WHETHER HOUSTON WILL SURPASS CHICAGO OR NOT.

You see the Houston posters up there, I haven't seen a single one of them on recent pages say "Houston will become more important than Chicago" the fact that people keep bringing it up when it's already off topic shows a lot.

I'm sorry about getting mad so fast, I just freakin hate it when people resort to bashing and discrediting to prove a damn point.
For that I apologize.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Well then why don't you go and make a thread about Houston surpassing Chicago and being able to prove it by becoming more important. I am getting tired of playing these games with my fellow Chicagoans.

This one is JUST ABOUT WHETHER HOUSTON WILL SURPASS CHICAGO OR NOT.

You see the Houston posters up there, I haven't seen a single one of them on recent pages say "Houston will become more important than Chicago" the fact that people keep bringing it up when it's already off topic shows a lot.

I'm sorry about getting mad so fast, I just freakin hate it when people resort to bashing and discrediting to prove a damn point.
For that I apologize.

It's just a forum that u shouldn't get worked over.. At the end of the day everything that we have said should be taken with a grain of salt anyway. Never go so far to discredit or put down a city to get a point across.. Because just like u can do it to Chicago someone will do it too Houston.. By the way I'm not from Chicago I'm from London...

Old 07-04-2010, 10:05 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
It's just a forum that u shouldn't get worked over.. At the end of the day everything that we have said should be taken with a grain of salt anyway. Never go so far to discredit or put down a city to get a point across.. Because just like u can do it to Chicago someone will do it too Houston.. By the way I'm not from Chicago I'm from London...
What? I haven't discredited Chicago, I live in Chicago.

Yeah exactly, it would be better if people stuck to the topic though.

This thread means you pick a side and stick with it- I did, and in no way does it mean I "discredit Chicago". You want to believe the other way around then fine, that's your opinion, but don't go around and discredit a city for being less important (which everyone here already knows) and then go as far as to say, that it won't ever be perceived as important- because you simply do not know that.

That's what frustrates me the most, when people say things, they can't control.

That's all I'm saying man- didn't mean to go off that way, but it's so damn frustrating especially when you spend all day defending... it eventually gets to you.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:00 AM

21 posts, read 38,333 times
Not sure about how Houston can surpass Chicago, but there is a little chance that Toronto will surpass Chicago by 2020 because of numerous facts. City is growing and being extended by active immigration policy. Lots of new condos and towers are being built. I bet Toronto will be 3rd largest city in North America by 2020 while Chicago population is decreasing at the moment.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:47 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyFace View Post
I bet Toronto will be 3rd largest city in North America by 2020 while Chicago population is decreasing at the moment.
How will Toronto be larger than LA by 2020? Did you forget about Mexico City, the largest city in North America?

Old 07-05-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
What? I haven't discredited Chicago, I live in Chicago.

Yeah exactly, it would be better if people stuck to the topic though.

This thread means you pick a side and stick with it- I did, and in no way does it mean I "discredit Chicago". You want to believe the other way around then fine, that's your opinion, but don't go around and discredit a city for being less important (which everyone here already knows) and then go as far as to say, that it won't ever be perceived as important- because you simply do not know that.

That's what frustrates me the most, when people say things, they can't control.

That's all I'm saying man- didn't mean to go off that way, but it's so damn frustrating especially when you spend all day defending... it eventually gets to you.

Key word Cant control.. Just like u have your opinion that Houston will pass I have mine.. None of us can say what will happen, we can only predict and predictions don't always go Accordingly to the predictions.. For all we know 2015 something drastic could happen to both cities which could cause both to fall.. Or this world may come
to a end and we would never know.. It's all predictions.. No validations even with what I said..

Old 07-07-2010, 08:59 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,376,356 times
Another factor in this thread that has been ignored is the possibility of Houston gradually becoming less free-market/no zoning/business-minded..

It's hard to predict the future even 5 years from now, but up until this point, Houston (and Texas) have been seen by businespeople in the rest of the country as very pro-business.

As Houston becomes more of a "blue city" along the lines of Chicago/New York/San Fran....it is totally conceivable that the elements that are currently fueling the city's growth will dissipate.

And conversely, if Chicago manages to wrestle its government monster in favor of a more free market model, it might boom again.

In other words, time will tell. But the free-wheeling open for business image Houston has may not last forever...

Old 07-07-2010, 10:00 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Another factor in this thread that has been ignored is the possibility of Houston gradually becoming less free-market/no zoning/business-minded..

It's hard to predict the future even 5 years from now, but up until this point, Houston (and Texas) have been seen by businespeople in the rest of the country as very pro-business.

As Houston becomes more of a "blue city" along the lines of Chicago/New York/San Fran....it is totally conceivable that the elements that are currently fueling the city's growth will dissipate.

And conversely, if Chicago manages to wrestle its government monster in favor of a more free market model, it might boom again.

In other words, time will tell. But the free-wheeling open for business image Houston has may not last forever...
Houston has been that way ever since it was founded as a city 173 years ago. What makes you think it would change now? The city/metro has a good balance of both Democrats & Republicans. It always has.

Houston has more in common with Chicago than most people even realize or give it credit for. Both are largely considered blue collar industrial cities. They're both flat. They both have a diverse population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City