U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 492 41.55%
No 692 58.45%
Voters: 1184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:55 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,434,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Don't paint a picture of Texas based on them.
Of course I wouldnt paint a picture of the whole state based on a few peoples' obnoxious statements, but it seems to be the recurring response from Texans. I dont know whose post was worse, hers or the person she quoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 08:06 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,771,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
I don't think it's close to fair in comparing the two cities. Chicago is extremely urban feeling and has a substantial amount of people living in and/or close to downtown.
Houston is extremely urban feeling.

Quote:
Houston feels much like a giant suburb, and the city limit is HUGE. Chicago will always be the second city even though Houston's "city" population might overtake Chicago's.
Houston does not feel like a giant suburb...you've never been.

Quote:
Completely different type of city. The only city to compare with Chicago is NYC, hand's down.
Not really, seeing as how the density of Chicago is just barely three times that of Houston. While NY's density is practically ten times that of ours. There are sections of Houston that are very dense, so don't be mistaken.

Quote:
So to answer your question...maybe, but who cares? No other city in the history of the US will ever compare to Chicago besides NYC.
Don't be so sure of yourself, because I know some New Yorkers who are sick of people thinking Chicago can be compared to them. Especially considering diversity, size, and power. Hell, even Houston is more diverse than Chicago.

Besides, while I love the Chi, I'm sick and tired of Houston being compared to it. We're making a name of our own.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:40 AM

646 posts, read 604,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline887 View Post
Do you people think Houston will surpass chicago has the third largest by 2010 or 2020?
Yes easily by 2020 perhaps before but not by 2010. However, Houston as a metro is going to have a lot of competition from the Atlanta metro. Houston became 4th bc it's in city population grew not just its metro's. Atlanta since the last census has been working on attracting more people to its core city.
Its metro could pass Houston's altogether or Dallas'.

So it's going to be interesting in the near future where and if Atlanta will enter into the top tier of 4 or 5 cities. I know that Atlanta has been bent for a long time in rivaling NY though NY may not know it.

Atlanta just might surprise us. Though Houston and Chicago might also. Time will tell, brief time though.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:23 AM

2,703 posts, read 2,609,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
Yes easily by 2020 perhaps before but not by 2010. However, Houston as a metro is going to have a lot of competition from the Atlanta metro. Houston became 4th bc it's in city population grew not just its metro's. Atlanta since the last census has been working on attracting more people to its core city.

So it's going to be interesting in the near future where and if Atlanta will enter into the top tier of 4 or 5 cities. I know that Atlanta has been bent for a long time in rivaling NY though NY may not know it.

Atlanta just might surprise us. Though Houston and Chicago might also. Time will tell, brief time though.
Dallas has a one million lead on Atlanta (metro wise). Houston has been growing faster than Atlanta's metro for three years.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:37 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,771,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post

Well it seems I've been the one on this forum who believes that the impossible could happen, so I won't disagree with you, but Atlanta is going to have an exceptionally difficult time passing up DFW's metro, which is growing at a steady rate much quicker than Northwestern Georgia, I'm sure.

Also, while Atlanta seems to be more popular, Dallas and Houston are still the core cities in the South. Attracting very large numbers of businesses and people, for both economy and lifestyle. It's not likely that either city will see a drop in their growth rate, so saying that New York is in competition with Atlanta is a bit of a stretch.

Atlanta's competition is four states away.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:40 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,621,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Dallas has a one million lead on Atlanta (metro wise). Houston has been growing faster than Atlanta's metro for three years.
What data shows Houston growing faster than Atlanta over the past three years?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well it seems I've been the one on this forum who believes that the impossible could happen, so I won't disagree with you, but Atlanta is going to have an exceptionally difficult time passing up DFW's metro, which is growing at a steady rate much quicker than Northwestern Georgia, I'm sure.

Also, while Atlanta seems to be more popular, Dallas and Houston are still the core cities in the South. Attracting very large numbers of businesses and people, for both economy and lifestyle. It's not likely that either city will see a drop in their growth rate, so saying that New York is in competition with Atlanta is a bit of a stretch.

Atlanta's competition is four states away.

I only meant the spirit in Atlanta is that it wants to surpass or rival NY. Personally I don't think they ever could nor should they want to but that's probably some advertising booster dreamers down there. It's unique on its own, and doesn't have a seaport there with it. Atlanta has been host to the Olympics, so it is an "Olympic" city now.

Believe it or not NY has never been a host of it, they keep getting passed on it but it has held a World's Fair. Are they even popular anymore?

I know Dallas is growing, I used to live there some years back, and I saw some pics on here yesterday that it's still in a boom stage.

I had not actually checked the figs though, but the projections for Atlanta caught my eye.

Dallas is another without a seaport, but big airport like ATL. ATL is the world's busiest.

It was just a hunch I had. Well I'm glad that either ATL or DFW or HOU could make it into the top tier of most influential powerful US cities. Any from the South or West gets my vote, things are changing, power shifting and I'm glad it is, whether any one of those three enter the 3rd spot.

The Sunbelt region's cities or or two will predominate in my lifetime or be exactly same level as Chicago and NY, or LA. Well actually LA already is but been big a long time, let there be one emerge from original South or TX.

Chicago could regain, but a big thing for a city is the state it's in, and both Illinois and New York states are slump, crawl, growth states. That's their problem.

If not those then who else do you think will be near future contenders. ??

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-07-2007 at 08:05 AM..

Old 11-07-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
What data shows Houston growing faster than Atlanta over the past three years?
That must be some growth then but I really haven't looked. I dont' care as long as one of them gets into the top 3.

I'm for either Houston or Dallas or Atlanta, though ATL will not make it soon but later than HOU.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:00 AM

I had no idea that Phoenix was growing at that extent, but I hope either Phoenix, HOU or another will surpass someone so there is another biggie from the Sunbelt to keep LA company.

As long as there's 1 more first time around is alright with me. (from the Eastern or Middle Sunbelt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I will. Guess you ran into a brick wall? No excuse to come up with.

Houston isn't about to do anything. You act like Dallas' GDP isn't growing either.

Really? A big year? The fact is, it's still growing faster.

Yeah, the gap is closing by 1,000 people every six years. Houston already has a good 500,000. Calculate and see how long it will take for Phoenix to surpass Houston.
So, we have seen that the article from Christian Science stated that 150,000 people were in Houston in 2006, at the SAME TIME that the latest population counts were taken. You refuse to acknowledge actual demographic counts, and just go off of what you perceive. Since Phoenix is growing at twice the rate of Houston (34%) a decade that would put Phoenix at 1.77 million by 2010. 2020 - 2.4 million. 2030 - 3.2 million. Houston growing at 16 percent. 2.3 milion by 2010. 2020 - 2.7 million. 2030 - 3.1 million. Look around 2025-2030 for Houston to be passed by Phoenix. These are at current growth rates. 20 years. And you want to tell me that percentages don't mean anything?

Really? You've seen reports? Well until you can post those "reports," I'm not going to take your word for anything.

Raw numbers don't mean anything. As you can see growth rates are substantial.

When the oil industry goes under, which will happen in the next 30 years, I hope Houston can bounce back.

The rest of your thread is irrelevant. I prove one point about Dallas that you didn't know, you provide me with statistics that are irrelevant to anything. Who cares that Dallas is a primarily domestic airline hub? Who cares that Houston has one of the largest Vietnamese populations in the United States?
That's not allow Houston to pass Chicago.

I am starting to agree that this thread is getting further and further away from it's original intentions. All of my repetitive points have been to provide reference on why Houston will not pass Chicago to become the nation's 3rd largest city, because of Phoenix.

You're convinced that's not possible because Houston's has more international flights, taller buildings, more traditional urban architecture, and more diversity. Uhh, your points are invalid. I have shown that Phoenix will pass Houston because of our growth rate is significantly higher. End of story.[/quote]

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-07-2007 at 08:09 AM..

Old 11-07-2007, 08:00 AM

146 posts, read 754,935 times
Quote:
Houston does not feel like a giant suburb...you've never been.
No offense, but just because someone doesn't like your city, it does not mean they have never been. Even if they have a misconception about your city, it does not mean they have never been. Maybe they are comparing it to what they know? After all, in the many times that I have been to Houston it has felt like a giant suburb to me also. It's not nearly as bad as Phoenix, but it still has the suburb feel to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or