U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 492 41.59%
No 691 58.41%
Voters: 1183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:37 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,173,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well then would the areas with higher density and all the amentities in the NE be considered city, if so there would be many places larger than Houston; I am not saying Houston is not developed but as a city it really is far far smaller than the populations would suggest. So just becasue you have a huge boundary it somehow makes the places different on the inside from a functional and amentity standpoint. You can make that argument that they are developed and i will agree, but will also argue then so are so many other areas around the country
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What?

Edit: I bet if Jacksonville was the 4th largest city, they would twice the hate that Houston gets.
or one of those gigantic Alaskan cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
well Jax is a more extreme example, but on hate no; but honestly you people talk like Houston is this urban mecca, it is a great area and large metro, a large city it really is not.
no Paul, you have it the exact opposite. we don't talk about Houston like it is an urban mecca we just have to be consistently defending against NE a-holes who think their way is the only way

Old 04-11-2011, 12:42 PM

209 posts, read 452,758 times
Who said anything about Houston being an Urban mecca?

Old 04-11-2011, 12:44 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
This is an interesting thread. It focuses on Dallas but Houston is mentioned as much as well and it basically expands on what kidphilly is talking about.
Click Here..It's a good discussion

Old 04-11-2011, 12:47 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,767,031 times
Quote:
well Jax is a more extreme example, but on hate no; but honestly you people talk like Houston is this urban mecca, it is a great area and large metro, a large city it really is not. Houston is fine but seriously the relvance of city populations is silly, SA a top ten, I mean come on, yes technically but in reality no.

In your opinion does Houston feel like a bigger city than a Boston, Philly or SF? I mean really these are actual cities in the city sense. That being said Houston continues to get better everyday, seriously, i like Houston as much as people might think otherwise, but it seems many Houston make claims that fail in reality, and suggesting that Houston as a urban center is even close to Chicago is absurd
I've never been to Boston, Philly, or SF. Houston is just as much of a city "in a sense" as those are. Just because people live closer to one another and don't have to drive doesn't give it anymore balls than Houston as to being a real city. In relation, the only "real" city I am familiar with is New Orleans, neither is more of a city just because Orleans parish was well developed before 1900.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Know Paul, you have it the exact opposite. we don't talk about Houston like it is an urban mecca we just have to be consistently defending against NE a-holes who think their way is the only way
True, I feel like a defender more than a booster.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:48 PM

1,766 posts, read 2,784,953 times

Old 04-11-2011, 12:50 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Quote:
I've never been to Boston, Philly, or SF. Houston is just as much of a city "in a sense" as those are. Just because people live closer to one another and don't have to drive doesn't give it anymore balls than Houston as to being a real city. In relation, the only "real" city I am familiar with is New Orleans, neither is more of a city just because Orleans parish was well developed before 1900.

That I do get frustrated with Northeasterners when it comes to that conversation. Houston is just as much a real city as Boston or Philadelphia. It's just not as urban or vibrant. It's a different type of city.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 PM

did you pay???

Old 04-11-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That I do get frustrated with Northeasterners when it comes to that conversation. Houston is just as much a real city as Boston or Philadelphia. It's just not as urban or vibrant. It's a different type of city.
what do you mean it is not as vibrant? does it shine less?

I feel more alive in Houston than in a lot of the NE. I somehow feel closer to death in the NE.

If you are talking about activity there is just as much in Houston, but it is spread out over a larger base.

Vibrant as you guys use it is very deceptive, that is why people who have never been to Houston think there is nothing to do here.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:03 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,166,272 times
Quote:

I suggest you make a vist then before you make that statement, NOLA, and I love NOLA for what it is and is truly an american gem is very very small compared to the other cities you compared it to

FWIW I really do like Houston, I likely would never live there because one it is too hot in the summer for me personally and two does not offer an urban lifestyle i enjoy; but honestly few cities in this country do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or