U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 492 41.55%
No 692 58.45%
Voters: 1184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2011, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,339 posts, read 2,279,090 times
Reputation: 2363

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
To counterpoint that exact lifestyle exists in every NE metro in our suburbs, honestly, and how is that any more control than the other? I have a car and can walk or whatever but why would one be any more control than the other?

and all this carry groceries or cab or whatever, you realize these places deliver for free right into you kitchen, you dont have to carry a thing and it free.
No Kidphilly I did not know that they deliver groceries. I have always enjoyed going to the store and shopping for ours and bringing them inside our house by ourself. Plus, I do not have to tip the delivery guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2011, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,643 posts, read 27,082,820 times
Reputation: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Why don't people understand that Houston and other Sunbelt Cities were developed with the automobile. Why is there so much emphasis on density and urbanity. Density to me means overcrowded like that of NYC. I would never want Houston to be like NYC or Philadelphia(and yes I have been to Philadelphia). I love Houston just the way that it is. I do not care that I have to drive everywhere. The last thing I want to do is walk to the grocery store and have to carry all of my families stuff home or pay for a cab. I like being in control of what I am doing in my very, very, very, large and spread out city. I think that it is great that I can drive 50+ miles and still be in the same city limits. Up there in the northeast(yankee land) if you drive 50 miles you might cross two or three states. I think that these Sunbelt Cities have learned from the northeast and midwest(Rust Belt) cities mistakes on growing a city. BTW Kidphilly, I really do appreciate your point of view but it just ain't going to happen here in Houston. Houston is great just the way it is. And as to the question in the thread title; YES, Houston will eclipse Chicago in population by 2020 or 2025. Especially if Chicago loses another 200,000 people.
In bold, I don't think the Northeast, Midwest, and even West Coast cities are mistakes. Hell most cities are built densely and have their amenities as spread out. I don't think Philadelphia, San Francisco, Chicago, and especially New York would want their city to look like Houston. And even some Houstonians are attracted to that type of living as you can see with the new urban developments going on in sunbelt cities. But this is not to say that Houston would want to look like those cities. I think Houston should increase in density for the people that actually wants that lifestyle. But it shouldn't do so to look like San Francisco or New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 02:42 PM
 
Location: NE Houston Texas
209 posts, read 452,966 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Umm no, you can away if you choose, I can and will debate on facts and do ALL the time

Fact is that Houston is less than half the size of Chicago when reduced to the same foorptint, if anything compare apples to apples, fact the US of Houston is ~50% that of Chicago, FACT

FACT - municipal boundaries are arbitray and yeild ingenuous comparisons on relative size and somprehsion of people.

And Yes I gree that rea of loop is what feels like a city, most areas outside do not, that is perception but ack to my point, who cares, IMHO it is nothing to brag about it is a technical victory and meaningless in the real world
youre' dense aren't you?

OP original question as stated as the title thread "Will houston surpass chicago as the third largest city".....so tell me again, how Municipal boundaries are arbitrary? the question is specifically identifying an answer in regards to these boundaries.

the real world as you put it, is a world of perspective. its all arbitrary....if you want to get philosophical.

no technical victory...the question was asked in that context. the moral victory sides with you my friend, as you are trying to argue a different question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,643 posts, read 27,082,820 times
Reputation: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
I think the whole city of Houston feels like a city. There is plenty of traffic and plenty of amenities. What isn't city about that? Just because Houston didn't develop/grow like Chicago or the northeast doesn't mean it is not a city. It is a vibrant growing metropolitan area. I wish people would get off of the idea that density is everything. It is not. I like having a yard with my house where our kids and dog can safely play without worrying of being just on the sidewalk or constantly in the street.
I know if I moved to Houston. My house will definitely not have a yard. I hate yards. Front and back. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,339 posts, read 2,279,090 times
Reputation: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
In bold, I don't think the Northeast, Midwest, and even West Coast cities are mistakes. Hell most cities are built densely and have their amenities as spread out. I don't think Philadelphia, San Francisco, Chicago, and especially New York would want their city to look like Houston. And even some Houstonians are attracted to that type of living as you can see with the new urban developments going on in sunbelt cities. But this is not to say that Houston would want to look like those cities. I think Houston should increase in density for the people that actually wants that lifestyle. But it shouldn't do so to look like San Francisco or New York.
Spade, what I mean by that is not allowing the core city to be enclosed by the suburbs and therefore allowing the Sunbelt Cities to grow and expand. As for the new urban lifestyle developments going on in Houston, if the people living there like them then I love them. It is just not for my family. I like having some elbow room between my neighbors. I like mowing my yard and having my little slice of heaven.

Last edited by AmberAzeneth; 04-11-2011 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,643 posts, read 27,082,820 times
Reputation: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Spade, what I mean by that is not allowing the core city to be enclosed by the suburbs and therefore allowing the Sunbelt Cities to grow and expand. As for the new urban lifestyle developments going on in Houston, if the people living there like then I love them. It is just not for my family. I like having some elbow room between my neighbors. I like mowing my yard and having my little slice of heaven.
Understandable. That's why I said earlier that if cities could annex their land like Houston did, they would do it (cough Dallas cough). New York annexed. Philadelphia annexed. Nearly every city has annexed to where they are at now. Oh and if I had a yard to mow, I'd just let the grass grow. I'm not cutting a yard. lol. And I'm not hiring anyone either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,782,157 times
Reputation: 8809
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Umm no, you can away if you choose, I can and will debate on facts and do ALL the time

Fact is that Houston is less than half the size of Chicago when reduced to the same foorptint, if anything compare apples to apples, fact the US of Houston is ~50% that of Chicago, FACT

FACT - municipal boundaries are arbitray and yeild ingenuous comparisons on relative size and somprehsion of people.

And Yes I gree that rea of loop is what feels like a city, most areas outside do not, that is perception but ack to my point, who cares, IMHO it is nothing to brag about it is a technical victory and meaningless in the real world
What does the footprint have to do with anything. Chicago is denser, I think the entire foru knows that. Nothing new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,187,635 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Understandable. That's why I said earlier that if cities could annex their land like Houston did, they would do it. New York annexed. Philadelphia annexed. Nearly every city has annexed to where they are at now. Oh and if I had a yard to mow, I'd just let the grass grow. I'm not cutting a yard. lol. And I'm not hiring anyone either.
what do you think kids are for?

Last edited by HtownLove; 04-11-2011 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,339 posts, read 2,279,090 times
Reputation: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
To counterpoint that exact lifestyle exists in every NE metro in our suburbs, honestly, and how is that any more control than the other? I have a car and can walk or whatever but why would one be any more control than the other?

Also what does driving accross a state line have to do with anything, is there some border patrol there i have been missing?

and all this carry groceries or cab or whatever, you realize these places deliver for free right into you kitchen, you dont have to carry a thing and it free.
Kid, don't you like driving? And no Kid, there is no Border Patrol issue here in the city of Houston, that problem is in the Rio Grande Valley. I just like living and working in the same state and not commuting from Connecticut or New Jersey. Do you catch my drift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
 
Location: The City
22,339 posts, read 32,187,488 times
Reputation: 7744
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Kid, don't you like driving? And no Kid, there is no Border Patrol issue here in the city of Houston, that problem is in the Rio Grande Valley. I just like living and working in the same state and not commuting from Connecticut or New Jersey. Do you catch my drift?

But if the driving distance is exactly the same how is it any different, truly?

I dont mind driving at all, but prefer when I go out to have the ability to walk, honestly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top