U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 492 41.55%
No 692 58.45%
Voters: 1184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:12 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,025,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUM398 View Post
this is the stupidest thing ive ever heard.

okay dude...you win. Chicago's Ghettos are "Scarier"

i never said that it didn't happen in Chicago. But the city of Houston has evidence that a massive undercount happened. therefor they are challenging them, on top of that...their was some confusion on city boundaries.

Houston is saying as many as 160,000 people were missed.
So when a Houstonian says Houston bad parts are scary... it's ok.

But when I say Chicago bad parts are scary... I'm a booster?

Hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 03:18 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,279,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
But is the driving distance is exactly the same how is it any different, truly?

I dont mind driving at all, but prefer when i go out to have the ability to wlak, honestly
Well, because of how the city developed, alot of people drive longer distances to work and other places. Take me for example, my job is about 35 miles one way from my house. I am in the futher out northern Houston, and my employer is in the further out northwest Houston. I could have chosen to live closer to work where it was walkable or maybe could have ridden a bicycle, but I chose not to be near work. I don't want to see it on weekends. I guess that I just enjoy driving and getting to know and learn about this massive city I live in. I always like to know my way around and where I am going.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,842,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Over time Houston will continue to grow in its city limits and will surpass Chicago. Maybe not in 10 years, but it will happen.
Yes.....blah blah blah these sunbelt cities are spread out, its the same thing people said about LA for decades, and now that city has some very dense areas that rival any city not named New York. All it means is that if Houston ever gets to 8,000ppsm consistently it will have nearly 5 milliion people. Its not going to shrink, these cities including Houston will continue to grow an will continue to pass up the old guard......
Exactly. Houston is growing in the LA-type of density. A grid system throughout most of the metro area (especially the west side) that is increasing with density every year (from apartments, mixed-use, etc.). Drive through Houston now, and there are random mixed-use developments plopped in everywhere. Once these areas start connecting more (like they are now), Houston will look even denser.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:12 PM

18,643 posts, read 27,082,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what do you think kids are for?
I won't subject my kids to that.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:17 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,842,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what do you think kids are for?
No, that's what Carlos is for. Seriously. My dad has had the same lawn mower cut his grass in Houston for years. His name is really Carlos and he owns a lawn mowing business. I use to cut it every once in a while when I was younger.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,187,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
No, that's what Carlos is for. Seriously. My dad has had the same lawn mower cut his grass in Houston for years. His name is really Carlos and he owns a lawn mowing business. I use to cut it every once in a while when I was younger.
Actually it is Jesus who cuts most people's grass

Old 04-11-2011, 07:08 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,698,355 times
I love mowing the grass!

People call my mom and I Mexicans because we usually do everything ourselves. Mow the grass, paint the house, hang up christmas lights, clean the gutters and more. Fun times.

I think I just like being outside in general; that's why I'm black as hell lol

Old 04-11-2011, 07:52 PM

22,339 posts, read 32,187,488 times
And cutting grass is so synonomous with city life

Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,391,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I love mowing the grass!

People call my mom and I Mexicans because we usually do everything ourselves. Mow the grass, paint the house, hang up christmas lights, clean the gutters and more. Fun times.
I think I just like being outside in general; that's why I'm black as hell lol
That's so crazy what we've all become! I grew up in the 80's and can't remember anyone who didn't cut their own grass, hang up their own christmas lights, clean their gutters, etc. It was just what you did, and most people enjoyed it. Got to be outside, hang out with the family, relax and take your time. Maybe people hired a crew to paint the house depending on how high up you had to go - but to have people calling you "mexicans" just for doing simple household chores is just said - right?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,698,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
That's so crazy what we've all become! I grew up in the 80's and can't remember anyone who didn't cut their own grass, hang up their own christmas lights, clean their gutters, etc. It was just what you did, and most people enjoyed it. Got to be outside, hang out with the family, relax and take your time. Maybe people hired a crew to paint the house depending on how high up you had to go - but to have people calling you "mexicans" just for doing simple household chores is just said - right?
I don't think it's sad, because partially it's true. Mexicans love doing that type of stuff. I like doing it myself because I'm very precise about certain stuff. Last time my mom hired someone to cut her yard; they cut through her flowerbed.

My mom just raised my siblings and I to be more independent and not always depend on others to do everything for us. By the time I was 8; I was mowing the yard, washing my own clothes, ironing, washing dishes and fixing bathroom sinks!

I think if people actually engaged in this type of chores; they'd see it isn't as bad as they think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or