Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 10:36 PM

125 posts, read 206,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
You do understand CHICAGO IS A MATURE CITY? Meaning it has grown in land as large as it will be and virtually all its land WAS ALREADY UTILIZED.
In the 50's Chicago had over 3,698,962 residents, however today is short by about a million residents, on top of that Chicago has been losing population continuously for decades, luckily last year it managed to gain 82 residents. Chicago has been suffering from a massive outflow of its native population that has been replaced by poor third world immigrants, they are hard working by the way.

You say that "Chicago is a mature city and all the land has been utilized" that does not make any sense, the real story is that new houses are not going up and lots of older houses got bulldozed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 12:20 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Houston is like 50 miles inland... Miami on the other hand...
Has the strongest building codes in the US when it comes to Hurricanes and also has a gargantuan canal Flood control system through out it's metropolitan area and the Everglades.

Houston on the "other hand" still floods 50 miles inland!...Ahem!

Old 08-09-2015, 08:50 AM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Has the strongest building codes in the US when it comes to Hurricanes and also has a gargantuan canal Flood control system through out it's metropolitan area and the Everglades.

Houston on the "other hand" still floods 50 miles inland!...Ahem!
Florida doesn't flood ?

Miami under water: Severe thunderstorms flood streets

Roads Flooded In Downtown Orlando By Heavy Rain | www.wftv.com

50 structures flooded, $1.5M in damage, Port Orange officials say | Weather - Home

Gov. Rick Scott tours Pasco County flooding | News - Home

These news reports look almost identical to coverage of similar types of flooding in the Houston area.

Overall the Hurricane risk of the Texas coast pales in comparison to what Florida has. This is not to say Florida is not a great place to live but it seems that people try to make a bigger deal of the tropical risk of the Texas coast and downplay the more significant risk in other areas of the country.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 08-09-2015 at 09:02 AM..

Old 08-09-2015, 12:02 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Okay, this isn't about Miami.

And I do think Chicago will see a resurgence like NY did.
Things will settle and Chicago will start gaining population again. It is a fine city. It had an awesome downtown. The winters take some getting used to, but many don't mind the chill.

I think people are giving up on Chicago too easily

Old 08-09-2015, 01:30 PM

345 posts, read 455,726 times
I think the question might be - will oil continue to be the dominant energy source for the foreseeable future? If so, then at some point in the next few or more decades, Houston will surpass. It is the energy technology center of the world and when oil prices are high, nothing can stop it.

If polywell, tri-alpha, or one of the other so-called dark horse fusion candidates successfully surprises us, then Houston may be the next Detroit.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:35 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
I doubt Houston will become the next Detroit. Houston economy doesn't rely on one sector.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:24 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post
I think the question might be - will oil continue to be the dominant energy source for the foreseeable future? If so, then at some point in the next few or more decades, Houston will surpass. It is the energy technology center of the world and when oil prices are high, nothing can stop it.

If polywell, tri-alpha, or one of the other so-called dark horse fusion candidates successfully surprises us, then Houston may be the next Detroit.
Oil does equal energy. If there are any other fusion candidates that you brought up, best believe Houston will be in forefront. It is the energy capital, not the oil capital. This isn't Tulsa.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I recall the recent flooding in Houston.....pretty devastating.
Mostly from the bayou's, not the gulf or even the bay and those waters from my understanding receded rapidly.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:41 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Okay, this isn't about Miami.

And I do think Chicago will see a resurgence like NY did.
Things will settle and Chicago will start gaining population again. It is a fine city. It had an awesome downtown. The winters take some getting used to, but many don't mind the chill.

I think people are giving up on Chicago too easily
Bingo. Chicago is great, and always will be. It was great long before Houston had a second stop light in town. This kind of thread makes me sad as an urbanist.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:53 PM

I actually wish Houston was the 95 sq mile inner loop with a little bit outside of it. The rest of the city outside of the loop will not even have a chance to create a vibrant urban area ever because they have always been suburbs. When I say suburbs, I mean post world war 2 suburbs, not the streetcar suburbs like Houston Heights. The population would drop as well as the artificial status as being the "4th" largest city. But it would be a much better city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City