U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 473 41.35%
No 671 58.65%
Voters: 1144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 11:54 AM

5,148 posts, read 4,996,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Some cities are much better at handling a heavy snow than others. They don't just shove it to the curb but haul it away. Experienced drivers seem to be able to navigate a little better in the snow once they have a few winters under their belt. Some cities, especially in the south, make it worse. I was in a certain Texas town after a light snowfall and the cars were sliding all over the place...partly because they threw sand on the pavement and also because they were driving too fast.
Even in cities accustomed to snow, the first snow of the year generally concludes with people acting like they've never driven in it before. I never understand because when it's slippery and people are walking, they don't run around like they're on a grass field with cleats. Same thing with a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 12:17 PM

12,791 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Both of which are among the oldest cities in the Country. They have both been losing domestic population for years, and both continue to do so.
People make such a big deal about domestic population growth as if it's special somehow. NYC still grows through one of the largest influxes of international migration in the country. Growth is growth.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:19 PM

12,791 posts, read 12,767,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
He's correct; he's specifically talking about domestic out-migration. NYC, at least the region (not sure about city proper), keeps growing because of immigration.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...ntent=51601682
Which counts as growth. Also, the majority of domestic migration to any city is NOT from other regions of the nation, but largely from their home states and local areas.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:35 PM

763 posts, read 359,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Id still rather deal with a hurricane every 10 years or so than shovel snow every year. Thats just me...
Me too. I'm one of those "below 50 degrees I freak out" people you were referring to earlier.

To each his own like they say. I love being able to escape DC for Houston during large swaths of the winter though to escape the ridiculous cold.

Chicago would be my favorite city in the country if it had Texas or Florida weather.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:44 PM

27,786 posts, read 24,826,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Which counts as growth. Also, the majority of domestic migration to any city is NOT from other regions of the nation, but largely from their home states and local areas.
Nobody ever said the region wasn't growing (which wasn't even the point); the point was made that domestic migration is in the negative and this was tied to the preferences of folks who move about within the country.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:48 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,312,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Me too. I'm one of those "below 50 degrees I freak out" people you were referring to earlier.

To each his own like they say. I love being able to escape DC for Houston during large swaths of the winter though to escape the ridiculous cold.

Chicago would be my favorite city in the country if it had Texas or Florida weather.
Agreed. I like Chicago way more than NYC or San Francisco as a city. I like the Midwest real well too. I just hate its weather and cold weather is a deal breaker for me.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:14 PM

4,647 posts, read 3,023,428 times
Quote:
People make such a big deal about domestic population growth as if it's special somehow. NYC still grows through one of the largest influxes of international migration in the country. Growth is growth.
Not necessarily, the transfer of native wealth out of the region is a big deal. Growth in raw numbers just for growths sake isn't always ideal.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:16 PM

4,647 posts, read 3,023,428 times
Quote:
Yeah, right.

This is about as absurd as your past claims that almost everyone that moves away from Columbus returns eventually.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:04 PM

1,042 posts, read 1,053,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yeah, right.

This is about as absurd as your past claims that almost everyone that moves away from Columbus returns eventually.
It was not absurd in the least, but true and measured:

Harris County TX (Houston Area)
Movers within the same county - 534,060
Movers from same State Different County - 87,951
Movers from different State - 77,766
Movers from Abroad - 46,290

Ft. Bend County TX (Houston Area)
Movers within the same county - 27,775
Movers from same State Different County - 28,607
Movers from different State - 11,981
Movers from Abroad - 7658

Source: US Census County-to-County Migration Flows
https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2...2011-2015.html

Old 09-01-2017, 03:41 PM

802 posts, read 459,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Agreed. I like Chicago way more than NYC or San Francisco as a city. I like the Midwest real well too. I just hate its weather and cold weather is a deal breaker for me.
If Chicago had substantially better weather the metro area would be double its size, which in turn, would make it likely much less awesome.

I will say that we never get natural disasters like they get in the gulf region. No chance I'd live along that coast.

I feel for those people right now. Brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or