U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 481 41.57%
No 676 58.43%
Voters: 1157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM

844 posts, read 694,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Who said it would?
Nobody, but without the fantasy that something about the general pecking order of cities might change as a result, then you'd have to admit that the whole thing is an exercise in trivia.

Civic pride is cool, so I don't begrudge Houstonians engaging in it. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter if San Francisco is smaller than Jacksonville, that Charlotte and Indianapolis are bigger than Seattle and Boston, that El Paso is bigger than Portland, or that Omaha is bigger than Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM

293 posts, read 67,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Nobody, but without the fantasy that something about the general pecking order of cities might change as a result, then you'd have to admit that the whole thing is an exercise in trivia.

Civic pride is cool, so I don't begrudge Houstonians engaging in it. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter if San Francisco is smaller than Jacksonville, that Charlotte and Indianapolis are bigger than Seattle and Boston, that El Paso is bigger than Portland, or that Omaha is bigger than Miami.
Seems like you are reading too much into things. Whether or not Houston passes Chicago in population is a question that can be answered by observation of growth trends, without any involvement of the fantasy that you reference.

Old Today, 12:29 AM

844 posts, read 694,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Seems like you are reading too much into things. Whether or not Houston passes Chicago in population is a question that can be answered by observation of growth trends, without any involvement of the fantasy that you reference.
Yes, but then you get into the question of why anyone has cared enough to debate this question for 12 years. Clearly people are attaching some kind of significance to the event.

Old Today, 07:57 AM

1,437 posts, read 713,249 times
Quote:
Yes, but then you get into the question of why anyone has cared enough to debate this question for 12 years. Clearly people are attaching some kind of significance to the event.
Including you who resurrected this thread...

Old Today, 08:13 AM

1,641 posts, read 822,025 times
I don't think anyone is attaching significance, other than those from Houston, who are salivating over when this might happen. It's become quite comical, actually.

Old Today, 10:48 AM

18,361 posts, read 26,428,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I don't think anyone is attaching significance, other than those from Houston, who are salivating over when this might happen. It's become quite comical, actually.
Hardly anyone in Houston cares of this happening. Why resurrect this thread?

Old Today, 11:01 AM

1,437 posts, read 713,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Hardly anyone in Houston cares of this happening. Why resurrect this thread?
Yeah I've heard more people from Chicago say Houston cares about passing them than I have people from Houston talking about passing Chicago. This thread was resurrected because someone who I assume is from Chicago wanted to remind everyone that Houston people care so much about passing them. Lol!

Old Today, 11:12 AM

194 posts, read 51,253 times
Literally no one cares about this except for a couple people on this site.

Old Today, 11:22 AM

2,786 posts, read 1,283,760 times
Quote:
I expected it reopened after the 2020 census and of course .... when it is declared and new ones. But you clearly had points to make very valid to re-open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Yeah I've heard more people from Chicago say Houston cares about passing them than I have people from Houston talking about passing Chicago. This thread was resurrected because someone who I assume is from Chicago wanted to remind everyone that Houston people care so much about passing them. Lol!
The person that reopened it wanted to give his statement on why it really does not matter. Just go up to it.

But started in 2007. It clearly had relevance to some Houstonians. Chicagoans really no. But its newspaper did post on it a year or two ago in the Tribune. So that lead some to say Chicago is having the big head over it. For a previous open.

Why shouldn't Houstonian's see it as a form of arrival? When it officially occurs. Thise who know each city may know different or won't see hyping it matters. Those Houstonians who see Chicago as a has-been depopulating city will. It will be a esteem booster yes for many.

Too many on C-D are well travelled though. But the thread still has had a looooong run and may not be over after this opening.
The opener had a point to make below.
Quote:
yeah, that's the thing. Phoenix just surpassed Philadelphia... it didn't suddenly make Philly less of a tourist destination or stop them from getting cool New York culture much more quickly than other cities or stopped hipsters living in Fishtown from being cool. It didn't suddenly turn Phoenix from a sprawling city of stripmalls and retirees into a power house.

Houston will pass Chicago, but it won't matter. Even if Chicago falls to fifth, even if it's MSA falls to fourth... it will remain a vitally important city culturally and geographically and it will remain more appealing from an urban perspective. After all, nobody cares that San Francisco will likely be passed by Columbus, Ohio at the next census.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
Literally no one cares about this except for a couple people on this site.
Over 2000 post OK.

Basically, at the time it is deemed occurred. It will be seen as a ARRIVAL. A sense is "we are #3". Though I was too young to remember LA passing Chicago. That might have been a Bigger arrival then for LA. The "Second City" moniker was perhaps no more Chicago's. But that did not happen.

LA of course now will be hitting 4-million in the city. The metro passed mega-city status. Chicago still has degrees of its Second City status. Though known more as the "Windy City" more.

In 2013 Toronto claimed to have passed Chicago. No hype in this Country at least. Just came and went. But I do believe for Texans and Houstonians .... this passing will be a bit more a hype in arrival. Not any celebration-type.... just increased pride as claim to #3 city will be. But metro population, still has a good ways to go.

I guess we will all see ... as this and other threads will come or re-open then. But Chicagoans are secure in the city they evolved. Know their issues .... but that choices made in growing their city in the past and booming older neighborhoods. Were far better then mistakes in planning in other cities and they still can't fully solve. In that, Chicagoans can have pride and in having a CORE that is TOPS in the country. That just keeps getting better. That Pride in a green neighborhood city still maintaining urbanity. No Chicagoan needs to see as surpassed By a Houston in population changes that.

Will be interesting to see how the media reacts and social media then? Despite its issues. Chicago has risen in recognition and even esteem. Greatly increased by its Core and choices made in boosting it. Add TV weekly shows, that keep its name in the mention today. Even though them shows do not hype the city itself or its best attributes. Its Tourism hitting yearly records. Clear show it has done some things right as population of another city-proper .... changes none of that.

Having Lake Michigan as its Eastern border for 26-miles with public Parks, harbors and beaches. Is not going anywhere. Its street-grid of quality close-knit homes with standard green-frontage was a great choice vs cities with far less or excess amounts. Fully standardized curbing and sidewalks ..... Houston apparently never conceived of that being important. You or the developer did not have to.

But it is Great for Houston to take Pride in its growth, when the population surpass of these city-propers happens. But in reality the choices each city made in how they evolved .... was very different. One having quality housing that looks great after 100+years and one more likely to level its older homes just from the 50-60s. Over restore and save them. Chicago's 50s-60s- stock of housing is quality-built no one sees worthy of leveling.

Add a Core again that showcases a "World Renown Skyline" .... population alone is not going to lessen that.
Attached Thumbnails
Will houston surpass chicago as the third largest city-over-chicago-landing-ohare-w-downtown   Will houston surpass chicago as the third largest city-over-neighborhoods-north-downtown-chicago-..jpg   Will houston surpass chicago as the third largest city-looking-toward-downtown-chicago-.jpg   Will houston surpass chicago as the third largest city-chicago-skyline-looking-south-its-north  

Last edited by DavePa; Today at 11:44 AM..

Old Today, 02:47 PM

107 posts, read 35,354 times
I agree that nothing will really change when Houston surpasses Chicago as the nation's 3rd largest city. Small changes such as the article (about Miller Lite) below will change to reflect Chicago as the nation's 4th largest city. And articles that mention Houston as the 4th largest city will change to 3rd largest city.

It ends with the text, “Here’s to you Chicago.”

The television ad, which has begun airing in Chicago, is a thank you letter of sorts to the nation’s 3rd-largest city for making it far and away its top-selling beer.

Other than that, nothing will change in the cities themselves... but I'm sure the world will rush to city-data to understand that even though Houston surpassed Chicago in population it doesn't diminish Chicago's prominence on the world stage. Don't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or