U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 482 41.52%
No 679 58.48%
Voters: 1161. You may not vote on this poll

Old Today, 09:07 AM

302 posts, read 68,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I have serious doubts about Houston’s population growth continuing. The rate of climate change has been increasing at a faster rate than expected. In an era obf warming temp’s I don’t see Houston continuing attracing new residents. And that comes with humidity so we can expect more hurricanes like Harvey.

On city-data, we seem to have created a world where climate change doesn’t exist. No, I am not talking about denying it, but in ignoring its impact in any geographical area.
That climate change would actually make Houston's weather better. With more tropical storms and humidity in summer, there would be less heat. Meanwhile, winters become even warmer than currently present. You'll basically have Hawaii/coastal Mexico weather

Last edited by ScrappyJoe; Today at 09:16 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:19 AM

8,469 posts, read 5,861,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
That climate change would actually make Houston's weather better. With more tropical storms and humidity in summer, there would be less heat. Meanwhile, winters become even warmer than currently present. You'll basically have Hawaii/coastal Mexico weather
Or Florida weather... Which we all know the summer storms do nothing to quell the stifling intense heat and humidity during the half year that is a Florida summer.

Old Today, 09:20 AM

1,655 posts, read 824,165 times
Quote:
Can't forget that horrible flooding. I still hear people talk about it.

Old Today, 09:32 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,286,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Houston keeps its cheaper "ditch-system" to gather rain in much of the city. Developers of all new infill too just keep the ditches too. The city certainly won't change that. But generally sidewalks do get added now.....

Old Today, 09:37 AM

204 posts, read 52,794 times
I like both Chicago and Houston. There does need to be more nuance on some of these forums. People take a lot of pride in their cities which is understandable.

Chicago has the bigger metro and I would argue more relative importance. I love the architecture and urban fabric of the city. However it is seeing less relevance as other cities have been seeing more numeric growth and resurgence. Metro GDP is still significantly higher than any city in Texas. Economy is great still. Lots of companies in Chicago. Much more of a major city in the likes of NY.

Houston has a lot of culture (even though I think Chicago has more, Im not sure why anyone who has actually been to Htown would argue otherwise), great art museums, good food scene, decent school system for a big city. Houston also has a pretty good music scene and great venues. The people in Houston are really nice folks. Weather is warmer, which is a pro or con depending on who you are. Technically creeping up on being a bigger "city" but a much smaller metro. Much more sprawled. Both cities have problems. Houston is sprawl and environment reasons, Chicago is high taxes and businesses starting to flee for...places in Texas.

I and a lot of other folks appreciate the no income tax situation in Texas and overall lower cost of living for a major city. I would live in Chicago in my 20's but I would rather get married and settle down in Houston. Taxes in Illinois are not fun (if I haven't made that clear).

Neither is better and no one outside a few homers cares whether either is a bigger city, which is really just a technical term anyway.

Old Today, 09:38 AM

1,655 posts, read 824,165 times
Even if, someday, Houston passes Chicago, makes not a lick of difference in the cities, themselves. In this case, it would just mean more sprawl wins.

Old Today, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Or Florida weather... Which we all know the summer storms do nothing to quell the stifling intense heat and humidity during the half year that is a Florida summer.
Yes they do.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Houston keeps its cheaper "ditch-system" to gather rain in much of the city. Developers of all new infill too just keep the ditches too. The city certainly won't change that. But generally sidewalks do get added now.....
The flooding in Houston is less about weather, and more about geology (i.e. clay soils) and infrastructure. You can't change the former, so it's up to the latter to accommodate to that. And that has to apply for all the communities and suburbs surrounding Houston too.

The ditches are present only in territories of the city that were once rural before being annexed into city limits. They are recently being gentrified, hence the infill.

Old Today, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Even if, someday, Houston passes Chicago, makes not a lick of difference in the cities, themselves. In this case, it would just mean more sprawl wins.
You sound so insecure, with having to regurgitate what many others have said for pages upon pages.

Old Today, 09:47 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,624,670 times
Quote:
You sound so insecure, with having to regurgitate what many others have said for pages upon pages.
The title of the OP reeks of insecurity.

Old Today, 09:48 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,752 posts, read 3,224,516 times
Quote:
Even WHEN, someday, Houston passes Chicago, makes not a lick of difference in the cities, themselves. In this case, it would just mean more sprawl wins.
Fixed it, but agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or