U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 492 41.55%
No 692 58.45%
Voters: 1184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:44 PM

4,852 posts, read 9,002,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Those two counties aren't the only ones involved. There are several counties included in each metro area.
This is not a discussion about metros; it's about city propers. There is a small portion of Chicago in DuPage County and a small portion of Houston in Fort Bend County--in front of the "Missouri City" antenna farm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:20 PM

27 posts, read 59,872 times
Default Ignorance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
If Houston does pass Chicago, many people will just ignore it and say what they want. Just like Phoenix passing Philly.
Yeah, they will probably ignore it just like they ignored it when Los Angeles passed up Chicago for the #2 spot a few years ago... Think they will ignore it when Phoenix passes it up a few years from now too?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 PM

263 posts, read 733,238 times
Judging by the amount of people Houston picked up this year over last, YES! Especially impressive were the 162,000 people or so that DFW acquired.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:23 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,138,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattscards View Post
Yeah, they will probably ignore it just like they ignored it when Los Angeles passed up Chicago for the #2 spot a few years ago... Think they will ignore it when Phoenix passes it up a few years from now too?
You do know Chicago is also one of the top ten fastest growing metropolitan areas as well, according to the US Census bureau released this year.

Houston city and metropolitan area have a lot to catch up on, and it will be more than just a "few years"

Houston passing Chi is semi-realistic, but Phoenix??? It hasn't even gotten to the 2 million point. It will not add (city proper wise) more than a million people in the next few years, if not the next few decades.

If growth patterns continue, Phoenix will take twice as long as Houston.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,397,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Omaha is continuously ranked in the top 10 of most dense cities in the US...For what it's worth. NY is always on top though.
Yeesh, who told you that?

I just did a quick search, and Omaha barely cracks the top 100 in density of the largest cities in the country.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:48 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,397,366 times
I don't get where they come up with those census estimates between the actual counting every 10 years.

In the 90's they had Chicago losing population, then it grew by 112,000. They had New York growing by 100,000, and then it grew by 600,000.

Now they have Chicago losing again, even though the city has been booming the past 7 years, building tens of thousands of new housing units EACH YEAR. I don't think overall we'll see a large population increase, but I highly doubt it's going to go down by 60,000 or whatever the census is saying. The city and state estimate Chicago will have gained around 300,000 people by 2030. Housing sizes are shrinking, especially compared to what Chicago crammed in it's housing up to the 50's. The city has also been frozen in physical size for 60 years now. I'm sure if we just ate up tons of open land and threw down new sprawl we'd grow just like all the southern/western states that are currently doing that. I don't see Chicago growing by hundreds of thousands, but at the same time I hardly see it shrinking.

I used the Census growth rates from 2000-2006, and if those rates held steady, Houston would pass Chicago in 2024. Although this has Chicago losing 240,000 people during this time, which is what the census is estimating. I don't think anyone who has been to Chicago would agree with this. We just got done growing by 112,000 people in the 90's, and are a much more healthy city through the current decade as a whole as we were in the 90's. I don't know why a quarter million people would up and decide to leave the city...

If you look at the CSA's, using current growth rates from 2000-2006, and if those rates held steady, Houston would pass Chicago in 2036. Of course by this time Houston would have to have almost 15 million people! I don't know if those growth rates are going to hold steady. It's much easier for Houston to grow 18% when you're going from 4.8 to 5.7 million people as in the previous 6 years. By 2036, Houston will have to be growing by well over 2.2 milllion people every 6 years to catch Chicago. Those growth numbers seem like they'd cause chaos as far as infrastructure, etc. I'd be nervous about living in an area that was growing by 375,000 people every single year. I'm sure, just like with all major cities, the growth rate of Houston CSA will have to start coming down a little as the population shoots up.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 03-28-2008 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,985,489 times
[quote]This is not a discussion about metros; it's about city propers. QUOTE]

Metro populatin is relevant. City population is completely useless and irrelevant unless one is discussing within the context within a metro (as within and out of city limits, school districts etc.)

On a national level, city are markets, trading areas - regions, not merely city limits.

Houston is in reality, nowhere near the size of Chicago.

Seriously is San Diego really bigger than San Fran?

Is Columbus bigger than Cleveland?

Is Jacksonville really the biggest city in Florida?

Obviously NO to all of these.

This is why city populations are completely useless in the real world.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:20 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,206,329 times
[quote=JoeP;3280574]
Quote:
This is not a discussion about metros; it's about city propers. QUOTE]

Metro populatin is relevant. City population is completely useless and irrelevant unless one is discussing within the context within a metro (as within and out of city limits, school districts etc.)

On a national level, city are markets, trading areas - regions, not merely city limits.

Houston is in reality, nowhere near the size of Chicago.

Seriously is San Diego really bigger than San Fran?

Is Columbus bigger than Cleveland?

Is Jacksonville really the biggest city in Florida?

Obviously NO to all of these.

This is why city populations are completely useless in the real world.

I agree 100% and if Houston is going to pass Chicago for the more relevant 3rd largest METRO then it will need to pass Philly and DFW first.

That's based on MSAs. If you are counting CSAs then Houston needs to pass DFW, Philly, The Bay area, Boston, and DC.

The population of a city proper is so meaningless considering Houston is 10 times the land area of San Francisco or Boston.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:54 AM

4,852 posts, read 9,002,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post

I agree 100% and if Houston is going to pass Chicago for the more relevant 3rd largest METRO then it will need to pass Philly and DFW first.

That's based on MSAs. If you are counting CSAs then Houston needs to pass DFW, Philly, The Bay area, Boston, and DC.

The population of a city proper is so meaningless considering Houston is 10 times the land area of San Francisco or Boston.
Trying to make your pitiful city of Boston look good? Without San Francisco, what would the Bay Area be? Some people, like my mom, don't know what the Bay Area is but when San Francisco is mentioned then they think of water, hills, and cold. I don't know why San Jose is disjointed in the MSAs because the development has to stretch so long along the bay because of the mountains. San Jose would be considered too far away without those pesky mountains in the middle of it. If the Bay Area was counted correctly, DFW is really in fifth place followed by Houston and Philadelphia.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:06 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,985,489 times
Huh? The Bay includes San Jose....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or