U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 473 41.35%
No 671 58.65%
Voters: 1144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:49 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,529,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Trying to make your pitiful city of Boston look good? Without San Francisco, what would the Bay Area be? Some people, like my mom, don't know what the Bay Area is but when San Francisco is mentioned then they think of water, hills, and cold. I don't know why San Jose is disjointed in the MSAs because the development has to stretch so long along the bay because of the mountains. San Jose would be considered too far away without those pesky mountains in the middle of it. If the Bay Area was counted correctly, DFW is really in fifth place followed by Houston and Philadelphia.
.....or maybe not? The DFW are is HUGE in area and takes up many miles and cities quite far apart. Same with houston, so i don't see what the bay area's problem is???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 12:57 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,079,577 times
Quote:
Trying to make your pitiful city of Boston look good? Without San Francisco, what would the Bay Area be? Some people, like my mom, don't know what the Bay Area is but when San Francisco is mentioned then they think of water, hills, and cold. I don't know why San Jose is disjointed in the MSAs because the development has to stretch so long along the bay because of the mountains. San Jose would be considered too far away without those pesky mountains in the middle of it. If the Bay Area was counted correctly, DFW is really in fifth place followed by Houston and Philadelphia.
I don't care what your mom thinks.

Seriously though, I don't know how to respond to this. First of all, Houston IS after DFW and Philadelphia for MSAs. It's what I said, and what you said, so I'm a little confused.

The Bay area metro is no more sprawling than Houston.

I'm sorry that Boston has other cities around it to include in the area because it existed more than 50 years ago and isn't surrounded by a swamp.

Nobody outside of Texas cares about Houston and everyone on this website needs to realize that.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:39 PM

20,005 posts, read 68,107,587 times
Quote:
Trying to make your pitiful city of Boston look good?

If most cities were 1/2 of what Boston is, Id be a happy man.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:42 PM

127 posts, read 117,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I don't care what your mom thinks.

Seriously though, I don't know how to respond to this. First of all, Houston IS after DFW and Philadelphia for MSAs. It's what I said, and what you said, so I'm a little confused.

The Bay area metro is no more sprawling than Houston.

I'm sorry that Boston has other cities around it to include in the area because it existed more than 50 years ago and isn't surrounded by a swamp.

Nobody outside of Texas cares about Houston and everyone on this website needs to realize that.
I'm in Massachussets and I care. This place has some good things (like Boston and sometimes Cambridge when you're looking for good food) but a lot of it sucks. So it looks like someone does care. Anyways, back to the real topic. I think Chicago will hold on for a little while longer than 2020, but at the current rate Houston will pass Chicago eventually, though for metro areas (since Chicago is just about the only city that means anything in Illinois) it will take quite a while for Houston to catch up.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:29 PM

5,429 posts, read 12,901,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post

The only "swamp" is southeast of town. Not north, not west, not south. And I'd be hesitant to even call it a real swamp... this is TX, not FL or LA.

No one in Houston cares if you think no one outside of Texas "cares" about Houston. Especially someone from MA (I know because half my family lives there and I'm familiar with the holier-than-thou attitude toward TX and the south in general). Houston has the world's largest grouping of hospitals and medical research (Texas Medical Center), is ground zero for the country's manned space flight program, is #2 in the country for number of Fortune 500 companies (after NYC) and for its theater district (after NYC's Broadway), is 1st in the country in foreign tonnage (Port of Houston), and is the undisputed capital of the energy industry in general (not just oil). And it should go without saying it's the country's 4th largest city after Chicago, no matter the circumstances of how it got there. That does mean something. So no matter what you or the rest of the country thinks, Houston is a HUGE player in many areas and continues to increase in population and economic factors.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:33 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,059,336 times
Houston may pass Chicago in population in ten years, but it will take a hundred years to have the density of a true world-class city like Chicago (if ever).

Old 03-28-2008, 02:46 PM

127 posts, read 117,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Houston may pass Chicago in population in ten years, but it will take a hundred years to have the density of a true world-class city like Chicago (if ever).
At 600 sq miles, I would definitely have to say a big YES to that. Though I do admit I think density is overrated, since most people in the US drive anyways.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:49 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,851,212 times
No, I think Chicago is on the move, it offers so much more than Houston. Give it time, people will realize that the SunBelt isn't always the best place to head to.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:58 PM

2,204 posts, read 4,015,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
No, I think Chicago is on the move, it offers so much more than Houston. Give it time, people will realize that the SunBelt isn't always the best place to head to.
They already are, with the water shortages and all. Hands off the great lakes all!

Old 03-28-2008, 02:59 PM

4,945 posts, read 8,292,018 times
600 square miles is a crazy land area. Houston will never reach Chicago's level of urbanity or density!

Let's compare!

12,000 ppsm versus 3,000 ppsm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or