U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 492 41.62%
No 690 58.38%
Voters: 1182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:24 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,601,372 times

Advertisements

I just love how everyone is jealous of the sunbelt and make up lame excuses to justify there statements. PATHETIC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 03:28 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,282,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I just love how everyone is jealous of the sunbelt and make up lame excuses to justify there statements. PATHETIC.
LMBO

Ummmmmm, ok.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:08 PM

492 posts, read 1,016,695 times
Default rough numbers

From 2000 up until 2006, Cook County, IL lost 92,820 but from Jul 2006- Jul 2007 the metro area gained 66,231 which resulted in a total loss of: (26,589)
Meantime
Harris County, TX gained 521,225 and the metro area, from Jul 2006- Jul 2007 120,500 with a total gain of: 641,725 (US census data)
total Houston gain is 668,314

Between January '07 and January '08, the Houston Metropolitan Statistical Area gained more jobs than any other U.S. at 3.9%; adding more than 86,000 jobs .
Meantime Chicago barely gained 0.06% job growth (Bureau of labor statistics)
If one follows this pattern, Harris county should overtake Cook county in less than 10 years (about 95% of the area of both cities are located within those prespective counties).

Old 03-28-2008, 09:28 PM

3,161 posts, read 3,817,432 times
interesting topic,
having lived in houston for 20 years and being from san antonio, I could care less about our size in relation to other cities.

Ive been to chicago, nice city, too bad the inhabitants suck ;-)

after having just spent 2 weeks in sao paulo brasil, which is 16-20 MILLION people, yaw squbbling over these little villages is amusing ;-)

Old 03-28-2008, 09:43 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,960,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Seriously though, I don't know how to respond to this. First of all, Houston IS after DFW and Philadelphia for MSAs. It's what I said, and what you said, so I'm a little confused.
That estimate is for mid-2007. My estimate as of late 2007-early 2008 is that Houston has already passed Philadelphia similar to what happened in '06 with Houston passing Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Especially someone from MA (I know because half my family lives there and I'm familiar with the holier-than-thou attitude toward TX and the south in general).
It's so funny that those elitists look down on the South for racism but they have a bigger racism problem than us because it hasn't been tackled yet. Someone posted that a lady in the Northeast looks down at the South for racism but when she sees a minority in her neighborhood, in her mind at least, her views change.

Boston is famous for bussing protests and the Bicentennial "n-word" flag stabbing. Still jealous that New York overtook you 200 years ago and living off the past? I can't believe this is coming from the one who said no-one cares about Houston outside of Texas? There are only two cities on the East Coast that are relevant, New York and Washington, and the others are simply ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
They already are, with the water shortages and all. Hands off the great lakes all!
Houston doesn't lack water. It rained almost every day this past summer while the rest of the state (including DFW, Waco, Austin, and San Antonio) stayed dry to drought. I was surprised that the state was experiencing a drought after all that rain in Houston. That Gulf humidity really helps!

Last edited by KerrTown; 03-28-2008 at 09:56 PM..

Old 03-29-2008, 12:09 AM

11,156 posts, read 22,299,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
From 2000 up until 2006, Cook County, IL lost 92,820 but from Jul 2006- Jul 2007 the metro area gained 66,231 which resulted in a total loss of: (26,589)
Meantime
Harris County, TX gained 521,225 and the metro area, from Jul 2006- Jul 2007 120,500 with a total gain of: 641,725 (US census data)
total Houston gain is 668,314

If one follows this pattern, Harris county should overtake Cook county in less than 10 years (about 95% of the area of both cities are located within those prespective counties).
Haha, do you even have any clue what you just stated?!?

In the past SIX years, the central county of the 9 county Chicago area lost 92K according to the census. At the same time, the chicago metro area as a total gained 66K in the past ONE year. So this somehow makes out to a 27K loss?? No. Well over 4 million people in the Chicago area live outside Cook County, and they're all growing pretty fast. You're taking one year of metro growth, and subtracting 6 years of population loss in 1/9th of it's counties. This happens, of course, to be the one and only county that isn't growing.

I don't understand what you're doing with the Houston numbers. It sounds like the entire Houston Metro growth during the past year, plus the growth of Harris County (which is at the same time a main part of the Houston metro) during the past 6 years, is 641K.

Isn't this double dipping the Houston growth numbers, while eliminating all the Chicago metro growth during the past 6 years?

If you take it at the actual estimates, the Houston metro has gained 1 million during the past 7 years, and Chicago has gained 500,000.

Houston: 5,600,000
Chicago: 9,500,000

Based on this, Houston will pass Chicago in 2064 years, or 56 years from now. That's what I see from looking at the numbers. Not sure how you think this is going to happen in less than 10 years.

At the same time, the census estimated that Cook County lost population during the 1990's, but when the actual count came out, the county gained over 250,000 people. This is a pretty huge error on their part. I don't really take their word to heart...

Old 03-29-2008, 10:08 AM

13,266 posts, read 10,363,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Jealous?!! I love how all of these Texas City will overtake Chicago in ______ keep getting started and then when poster disagree everybody goes up in arms.

Chicago's metro is nearly twice the size of Houston's. That is a LOT of people. You honestly think "fill in the blank" will close that gap that quickly?

But anyways...the number of people don't make a city great (something that "some" Texans don't understand). Maybe if some of the sunbelt cities focused more on their city's infastructure and urban planning than they could truly have some great cities.

You don't hear people from Boston, San Fran, Seattle complaining because they don't have a huge population boom...probably because they KNOW that they live in a great city.

That's my rant for today...and I know that not all Texans (or people from the sunbelt for that matter) are focused on quantity over quality.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:23 AM

18,592 posts, read 26,953,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
They already are, with the water shortages and all. Hands off the great lakes all!
Houston will not have that problem considering that they sit on one of the world's largest aquifer sites and is next to go the Gulf Of Mexico. But I do agree that Houston will never become as dense as Chicago at least not in our lifetime. But it is trying to become more dense. Seeing as how Houston is building more rail, and more dense developments.

The Inner Loop of Houston is Houston. That's the real city. The outer loop is suburbia although the galleria is nice.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:51 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,123,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lategreattex View Post
The unfortunate truth is Houston will probably bypass Chicago BECAUSE of all the Midwesterners moving to Texas!!! Open you're eyes, this once wonderful state has been barraged with transplants like a virus. They move here then breed....oh goody!! Never has YANKEE GO HOME been more appropriate!!!!!!!
I'm tired of reading ill informed comments like this.

Chicago is the only Northern city growing as fast as many in the South. It's Chicago or bust for northern cities on the top 10 fastest growing cities in america. the rest are in the sun belt. Chicago grew by 70,000 people from 2000-2006, i believe.

The Chicago area is growing at a rapid pace, especially Will County (Southern Most county in the Chicago Metro).

Will County is the only County in the Northern part of America that is amongst the 10 fastest growing counties in America.

So all you texans better understand that Chicago is actually growing at a rapid pace. As is the Chicagoland area.

Last edited by At1WithNature; 03-29-2008 at 01:07 PM..

Old 03-29-2008, 01:02 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,123,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
Perhaps only by population but not in importance. I still haven't really figured out why people are moving out of Chicago. I don't have time to do so anyways and I really don't care.
They're not, they're actually moving in! and thousands of them each month too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or