U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 492 41.59%
No 691 58.41%
Voters: 1183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 01:45 PM

9,470 posts, read 12,314,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sorry to be the barer of bad news....but Houston is going to overtake Chicago not in 2020 but 5 years later 2025. Houston is a much larger city (land wises) and is growing "Much" more rapidly than Chicago is...
Reality is not governed by ours opinions , but I tell you what ..let's wait until the 2010 census to peep into the crystal ball of the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 03:08 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,423,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Sorry to be the barer of bad news....but Houston is going to overtake Chicago not in 2020 but 5 years later 2025. Houston is a much larger city (land wises) and is growing "Much" more rapidly than Chicago is...
Reality is not governed by ours opinions , but I tell you what ..let's wait until the 2010 census to peep into the crystal ball of the future.
I dont really care if Houston passes Chicago, Chicago doesnt have room to grow so I can assume it will happen sometime. However, Chicago is more dense, more walkable, and IMO a far better place to live if you want a hardcore urban experience. Houston can add all the people they want, but it'll never be Chicago. Im not saying Houston is a bad place, its just totally different than Chicago.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:10 PM

13,266 posts, read 10,395,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yea, when I was in town last weekend I was suprised by how many projects had been finished just from the last time I lived there (last summer). The whole South Loop area was booming.

When all of that area is blended into the loop the downtown is really gonna look impressive...add that to the Trump Tower, Waterview Tower, Spire, 300 N LaSalle, One Museum Park...

Old 04-12-2008, 03:18 PM

13,266 posts, read 10,395,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Houston's city proper is not growing fast at all!! Houston's metro is growing...maybe you should've went back and read some of my earlier posts.

First I provided reasoning why Houston's metro wouldn't pass Chicago's in the near future. Then somebody argued that Houston's city proper would surpass Chicago's and I provided facts on why that wouldn't happen either.

According to the U.S. census bureau. Houston proper grew from 1.95 Million in 2000, to 2.009 million in 2003. Thats a 2.9% increase. At that rate Houston would not be surpassing Chicago any time soon.

Maybe bigger isn't better...maybe its a blessing in disguise....whatever it is, quit making misinformed claims

Old 04-12-2008, 03:23 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,325,746 times
people shouldn't be making statments like "Houston WILL pass Chicago" or "Chicago WILL remain above houston" or anything like that because by 2025 who knows, maybe a huge population shift opposite of today could occur or something like that. People should learn that patterns don't attomatically equal the outcome

Old 04-12-2008, 03:29 PM

909 posts, read 2,705,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
That leaves Houston even more hopeless in the near future.

Houston's current core infastructure doesn't have the capacity to hold an extra million people.

Again, have you heard about all of the projects currently under construction in Chicago? Not in Chicago's metro area, but in its own downtown.

Houston proper has even less of a chance of catching Chicago proper.

You'd have a better shot arguing over metro populations.

Well G-tow, Houston is growing faster than Chicago is, thats for sure. Houstan has far more land area than Chicago. 230 sq. mile area compared to a 580 sq. mile area. so that means that Houston has far more capacity to hold an extra million people than chicago does. Its just common sence.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:32 PM

18,636 posts, read 27,069,277 times
By the time the US Census 2010 comes out, it will show that Chicago city has a population of over 3 million. Just as census undercount St. Louis and Chicago in the 90s, they are doing so again in the 2000s and I still have not found a name to name this decade.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:33 PM

909 posts, read 2,705,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
people shouldn't be making statments like "Houston WILL pass Chicago" or "Chicago WILL remain above houston" or anything like that because by 2025 who knows, maybe a huge population shift opposite of today could occur or something like that. People should learn that patterns don't attomatically equal the outcome

thats excatly what im talking about Billiam. i was just making the best prediction that i could by using data from this sight. i was just doin it the easy way. because nobody has any idea whats gonna happen in 2020 or in the future. anything could happen

Old 04-12-2008, 03:33 PM

18,636 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
Well G-tow, Houston is growing faster than Chicago is, thats for sure. Houstan has far more land area than Chicago. 230 sq. mile area compared to a 580 sq. mile area. so that means that Houston has far more capacity to hold an extra million people than chicago does. Its just common sence.
Yes, Houston has more open land to build the type of development that I hate. Thank God for the inner loop of Houston. You know, the real Houston.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:37 PM

9,470 posts, read 12,314,875 times
Default Well at least i'll give you a E for Effort.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well Dallas and Fort Worth are simply closer to each other than Baltimore and Washington. Traveling west on I30 from Dallas, you go through Grand Prarie, Arlington, than you are in Ft. Worth. Only 29 miles apart from downtown to downtown but 10 miles apart from city to city. Many of Tarrant County residents work in Dallas County so it justifies being counted in the entire MSA. To be fair, they do split up the two metros but they call it a PMSA.
I went to a distances calculator Web Site How Far Is It? by Indo.com, Discount Bali Hotels
and came up with these results.....

1. Dallas/Fort Worth 33 Miles from downtown to downtown
2.D.C./Baltimore 35 Miles from downtown to downtown
3.S.F./Oakland CA 18 Miles from downtown to downtown
4.S.F./San Jose CA 51 Miles from downtown to downtown
5.Miami/Ft. Lauderdale 26 Miles from downtown to downtown
6.Minnaepolis/St. Paul 8 Miles from downtown to downtown
7. Kansas City/Kansas City KS 9 Miles downtown to downtown
8.Norfolk/Virginia Beach 17 Miles from downtown to downtown
9.Boston/Providence R.I. 41 Miles from downtown to downtown
10.Los Angeles/Long Beach 27 Miles from downtown to downtown
9.Norfolk/Richmond VA 80 Miles from downtown to downtown
10.Oklahoma City/Tulsa 101 Miles from downtown to downtown
11.New York City/Philadelphia 78 Miles downtown to downtown
14.San Francisco/Sacramento 80 Miles downtown to downtown
15.Oakland/Stockton CA 52 Miles from downtown to downtown
***Will be in the Bay Area by ...2012-15.....
The Top 10 are in the same Metropolitan Area...
Baltimore/Washington D.C. and even more so San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose were slammed around by the CENSUS BUREAU up until this year...San Francisco is only 2 or 3 miles from Oakland but was divided up into separate Metropolitan Areas....Well better late than never the two Metro Areas are finally getting their's just deserved credit...Washington/Baltimore 8 + Millions

San Francisco Bay 7 + Million.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or