U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 473 41.35%
No 671 58.65%
Voters: 1144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2008, 09:40 AM
 
42 posts, read 29,451 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Proper-wise, very soon but probably not by 2020, and even longer for metro-wise, but it will happen eventually. It's inevitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2008, 10:01 AM
 
Location: USA
13,266 posts, read 9,995,396 times
Reputation: 4228
I don't see it happening. But if it did I think it would definately be metro wise before city proper. Chicago just has too many projects under construction in its core. Houston would have to change its density levels in its core to pass Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2008, 10:06 AM
 
42 posts, read 29,451 times
Reputation: 13
I know you don't see it happening, but it's going to...eventually. I think most people would say that Houston would take over Chicago by proper first. That's what's been happening with the sunbelter's right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2008, 10:18 AM
 
Location: USA
13,266 posts, read 9,995,396 times
Reputation: 4228
Chicago has 17 projects over 150m in its downtown under construction. Houston will not be able to annex more land into its city proper in order to gain population. It will have to increase its density. It just doesn't seem like Houston is doing enough to do that.

Metro population you can make an argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2008, 11:05 AM
 
42 posts, read 29,451 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Chicago has 17 projects over 150m in its downtown under construction. Houston will not be able to annex more land into its city proper in order to gain population. It will have to increase its density. It just doesn't seem like Houston is doing enough to do that.

Metro population you can make an argument.
Whatever helps you sleep at night, hun. Houston has exercised power over its suburbs quite strongly (which Chicago has not) but I agree I don't think there will be many more annexations if any. The passing will happen. Eitherway: Metro-wise, and city wise, or vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2008, 11:40 AM
 
Location: USA
13,266 posts, read 9,995,396 times
Reputation: 4228
Quote:
Originally Posted by operadivo View Post
Whatever helps you sleep at night, hun. Houston has exercised power over its suburbs quite strongly (which Chicago has not) but I agree I don't think there will be many more annexations if any. The passing will happen. Eitherway: Metro-wise, and city wise, or vice versa.
Hun?!

Posters like you give Houston a bad name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2008, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,217 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Reputation: 8978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Chicago has 17 projects over 150m in its downtown under construction. Houston will not be able to annex more land into its city proper in order to gain population. It will have to increase its density. It just doesn't seem like Houston is doing enough to do that.

Metro population you can make an argument.
Call me crazy, but I believe the time for annexation for Houston is now over. The Woodlands was suppose to be next, but The Woodlands now is not trying to be part of Houston and Houston is not trying to annex the Woodlands. Houston has not annex any land or city since 1996.

Now they didn't annex just to gain population. But it was for tax base. If other cities in the nation could do it, they would. However, Houston is building highrise condos, low-rise townhomes inside the loop. Not at the level of Chicago just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2008, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 67,969,120 times
Reputation: 10048
Quote:
Originally Posted by operadivo View Post
Whatever helps you sleep at night, hun. Houston has exercised power over its suburbs quite strongly (which Chicago has not)
I wouldnt be proud of that. And if Chicago exercised power over the suburbs, we'd all be taxed to death and sucked into Chicago's notorious corruption vacuum. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Greater Houston
4,514 posts, read 8,601,555 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Call me crazy, but I believe the time for annexation for Houston is now over. The Woodlands was suppose to be next, but The Woodlands now is not trying to be part of Houston and Houston is not trying to annex the Woodlands. Houston has not annex any land or city since 1996.

Now they didn't annex just to gain population. But it was for tax base. If other cities in the nation could do it, they would. However, Houston is building highrise condos, low-rise townhomes inside the loop. Not at the level of Chicago just yet.
The Woodlands is actually too far and much closer to Conroe. It is more feasible to annex along the Westside.

Houston should elect as the next mayor one who will finish the annexation vision. Alief is divided into half--one being urban Houston, the other being rural/suburban unincorporated Harris County. Even in Cinco Ranch, Fort Bend County is complaining about the strain that the high population has brought on the Sheriff's Department and probably can't wait to unload Cinco Ranch to Houston (or another city). The Westside needs to be finished to concentrate on rapidly growing Northwest Harris County. Houston has missed the boat on Copperfield--it has been a high population area for over 15 years--and now the Cypress area is starting to grow quickly. Hopefully we can catch up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 12:45 PM
 
42 posts, read 29,451 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Hun?!

Posters like you give Houston a bad name.
Actually, I think I represent us just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top