Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:36 PM

56 posts, read 118,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
We tried to move from Chicago area to Houston area this summer, but job offer fell through. Houston area has a lot going for it, low cost of living, pro-growth government, less tax heavy government, milder climate. But Chicago area still continues to add more people and jobs than it loses. So I don't think Metro Chicago will lose #3 to Metro Houston anytime soon. I do see where city proper, Houston may annex surrounding unincorporated areas and become #3.
That would be pulling a L.A to become # 2. I think they may try it again for #1 if they can get close enough. Who knows. Its L.A. They think they are the best =]

but sometimes we are

*formerly from L.A, now in Chicago*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 08:52 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Ahem

Milder winter climate.

As Ed McMahon would say "You are correct!"
Chicago summers are much better than Houston summers, but Houston winter and spring are better IMO.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:05 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
As Ed McMahon would say "You are correct!"
Chicago summers are much better than Houston summers, but Houston winter and spring are better IMO.
True, true. I think our Fall is eons nicer too. It about averages out I guess. Have a nice summer and fall, vs a milder winter and spring. I just prefer Chicagoland, thats all. And besides, Im one who actually loves winter. I dont know what Id do without it. Be bored I guess?

Old 10-17-2008, 10:54 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
We tried to move from Chicago area to Houston area this summer, but job offer fell through. Houston area has a lot going for it, low cost of living, pro-growth government, less tax heavy government, milder climate. But Chicago area still continues to add more people and jobs than it loses. So I don't think Metro Chicago will lose #3 to Metro Houston anytime soon. I do see where city proper, Houston may annex surrounding unincorporated areas and become #3.
I doubt Houston ever annexes again.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:18 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,987,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I doubt Houston ever annexes again.
Thats what you think..

Old 10-17-2008, 01:22 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,865 times
I hope the city of Houston eventually annexes the Woodlands next. (The Woodlands is about to reach over a 100,000 in pop.) They use the infrastructure that Houston pays for such as: The airports, the Ship channel, the Medical Center, etc, etc. Most of them work in Houston yet they don't pay taxes to the city of Houston. In addition, they are part of the melting pot that Houston is, so they need to be politically represented in the city of Houston.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:28 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,987,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
I hope the city of Houston eventually annexes the Woodlands next. (The Woodlands is about to reach over a 100,000 in pop.) They use the infrastructure that Houston pays for such as: The airports, the Ship channel, the Medical Center, etc, etc. Most of them work in Houston yet they don't pay taxes to the city of Houston. In addition, they are part of the melting pot that Houston is, so they need to be politically represented in the city of Houston.
2,208,180 is the estimate for Houston if it does annex the woodlands the city will jump to 2,307,000.. plus the growth it is already experiencing, that would be about 2,357,000 big time growth.. since its one of the only cities in america that is still BOOOMING!

Old 10-17-2008, 02:10 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
^ booming by expanding their civic borders to eat up more land. Lots of cities are still booming if you look at the overall metro population, the true population of the "city". Most cities at some point finally become cut off from expanding themselves, and the suburbs take over. It doesn't mean it isn't all still one "city" or urban area.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:45 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
I thought The Woodlands payed a portion of their sales tax to Houston as part of a deal to AVOID annexation. So, if my often fuzzy memory is correct, how does this constitute not paying taxes to Houston?

Old 10-17-2008, 02:56 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,865 times
Quote:
I thought The Woodlands payed a portion of their sales tax to Houston as part of a deal to AVOID annexation. So, if my often fuzzy memory is correct, how does this constitute not paying taxes to Houston?
The city of Houston and the Woodlands have reached a temporary agreement last year, in which the Woodlands pay some kind of "tax" to the city of Houston. However the next mayor of Houston will have to seriously consider the permanent annexation of the Woodlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City