U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 473 41.35%
No 671 58.65%
Voters: 1144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 AM

570 posts, read 1,778,152 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Houston so pardon my ignorance but I have to assume that the whole city is developed. There is no vacant land available for housing like there would be in the outer ring suburbs, correct???
So in order for Houston in increase it's city population, it would need to build more housing such as high rises or denser condos. While I'm sure that will happen, I don't think it will increase by 800,000 people.

But... you have to take in consideration that Chicago will lose population. Chicago is building alot of high rise condos and increasing that portion of the population but it is being offset by population losses in less desireable neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 11:17 AM

4,514 posts, read 8,597,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
I've never been to Houston so pardon my ignorance but I have to assume that the whole city is developed. There is no vacant land available for housing like there would be in the outer ring suburbs, correct???
Thanks to the lack of zoning laws, there are still parcels of undeveloped land in the city. West of Greenspoint, in North Houston, it is full of undeveloped land and because of this stubby road connections. This was skipped over and became immediately undesirable as The Woodlands was built across the county line/bayou from Harris County (Houston).

Old 10-14-2007, 12:42 PM

4,665 posts, read 8,709,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I'm not talking about certain areas of Houston. I'm talking about the whole city.

And there are parts of Houston that are suburban. So what? That's the South, for you.
Um, okay. Except by talking about the whole city, you were misinterpreting my point.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:50 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,608,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Um, okay. Except by talking about the whole city, you were misinterpreting my point.
Well I wasn't responding to you in the first place. I was responding to another user who was comparing the entire city of Houston to Chicagoland suburbs.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:41 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,445,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
So in order for Houston in increase it's city population, it would need to build more housing such as high rises or denser condos. While I'm sure that will happen, I don't think it will increase by 800,000 people.

But... you have to take in consideration that Chicago will lose population. Chicago is building alot of high rise condos and increasing that portion of the population but it is being offset by population losses in less desireable neighborhoods.
There is a lot of empty land in Houston. It is all going to be developed, too. THe most desirable locations are on the Northeast side of Houston around Lake Houston.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:46 PM

4,665 posts, read 8,709,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well I wasn't responding to you in the first place. I was responding to another user who was comparing the entire city of Houston to Chicagoland suburbs.
You might want to reread what you've written, because you did respond to me, and I did not compare the entire city of Houston to the suburbs.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
You might want to reread what you've written, because you did respond to me, and I did not compare the entire city of Houston to the suburbs.
My fault, you'll have to excuse me. But you did say much of Houston proper.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:50 PM

79 posts, read 473,170 times
for some of you wondering why i posted this thread twice, i wasn't trying to post it twice. I actually wanted to include a poll in this thread.Two thread somehow was created.
can some of you please vote in the other thread in the poll. by the wat how do you delete a thread here?

Old 10-14-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
There is a lot of empty land in Houston. It is all going to be developed, too. THe most desirable locations are on the Northeast side of Houston around Lake Houston.
I would rather they left everything up there as is. Just like the inner wards.

I'm just afraid that if they begin to develop, they won't do it the right way and they won't stop. Stripping away any southern charm that's left in upper Houston, leaving us with the bland developments that have begun to plague many parts of the city. North Houston is the "country" to many people, and it has less development than the rest of the city, and I think it should stay that way for now. As long as places like Acres Homes and Settegast are well taken care of, I like it the way it is.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline887 View Post
for some of you wondering why i posted this thread twice, i wasn't trying to post it twice. I actually wanted to include a poll in this thread.Two thread somehow was created.
can some of you please vote in the other thread in the poll. by the wat how do you delete a thread here?
There might be some way for the moderators or administrators to transfter the posts from the other thread over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or