Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:12 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Haven't you been around downtown lately???
Downtown is dead nowadays compared to 2004. It's not like Montrose or Rice Village. If you think the downtown nightlife is great, than you haven't been to other cities where their nightlife area is. Even people on Houston Architecture has noted this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 06:20 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
Every city has a crime problem, that's not going to stop anyone, trust me. A news anchor was beat to death in Little Rock, Arkansas recently, does that mean the city is ridden with crime?
Actually, Little Rock is ridden with crime. Just don't ask the cheerleaders of the place. They'll tell you that it's not that bad, and if you stay away from 1/3 of the town that is, you might not have any problems... except the occasional purse-snatching at gunpoint, or carjacking, or home burglary....
It's crime rate is usually similar to some of the worst.
The town of roughly 180k people, once had 99 homicides in one year... which is bad for a town 3 or 4 times it's size.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:01 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Downtown is dead nowadays compared to 2004. It's not like Montrose or Rice Village. If you think the downtown nightlife is great, than you haven't been to other cities where their nightlife area is. Even people on Houston Architecture has noted this.
Downtown has not been dead. I don't know when you go, but whenever I go it is always packed. Than you go just a little outside downtown with clubs like Howl at the moon which is usually packed as well.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:16 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
This may sound dumb, but why would anybody wish to be more crowded? But I'm biased... I don't wish to be cramped with millions of other people; I like the country. Even though I live in the fourth largest metropolitan area in the country (DFW).
the country is great, but i like to be crammed in the city with others, theres something about it(chicago here)

Old 11-17-2008, 10:40 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
I believe eventually Houston will surpass Chicago in population because Chicago is so limited by its borders. I am not sure if it will occur by 2020, but I think it is highly likely in say 2050.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:35 AM

33 posts, read 116,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Houston is extremely urban feeling.

Houston does not feel like a giant suburb...you've never been.

Not really, seeing as how the density of Chicago is just barely three times that of Houston. While NY's density is practically ten times that of ours. There are sections of Houston that are very dense, so don't be mistaken.
First of all, EVERY city has one dense part so that doesnt mean *****. Even the undensest city has a dense area. So that doesnt mean ***** that Houston has a dense section. Since when did we give prizes for sections? So lets not even discuss density. Cuz you dont want to take it there, trust me. Second of all you arent on Chicago level, and third of all, Houston is just another one of those wack azz overgrown southwest suburban cities. Chicago is twice as small as Houston and still has more people so dont sit here and act like Chicago and Houston are remotely similar and that Chicago is "barely" denser. Boy please, you got 500 something miles. Chicago accomplished 2,900,000 with 227 miles. So please check that "Houston is urban" bull***** at the door cuz nobody from Chicago wants to hear the junk.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:03 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeBitches View Post
First of all, EVERY city has one dense part so that doesnt mean *****. Even the undensest city has a dense area. So that doesnt mean ***** that Houston has a dense section. Since when did we give prizes for sections? So lets not even discuss density. Cuz you dont want to take it there, trust me. Second of all you arent on Chicago level, and third of all, Houston is just another one of those wack azz overgrown southwest suburban cities. Chicago is twice as small as Houston and still has more people so dont sit here and act like Chicago and Houston are remotely similar and that Chicago is "barely" denser. Boy please, you got 500 something miles. Chicago accomplished 2,900,000 with 227 miles. So please check that "Houston is urban" bull***** at the door cuz nobody from Chicago wants to hear the junk.
lolololol tell 'em.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:12 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeBitches View Post
At least we know education is better in Houston....

Old 11-19-2008, 02:26 PM

56 posts, read 118,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
At least we know education is better in Houston....
Education sucks in any major city. Name on city in any major city that has a good education program.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:07 PM

56 posts, read 118,511 times
Lol, too many typos for one sentence. What I mean is, name on major city, that has a good education program. Its just too hard to get decent funding the thousands of students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City