Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 06:46 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
And Houston has big, ugly skyline. So there!

Sorry Chicago, I didn't mean to bring you down to Houston's level, but that's how they wanna play.
Who is this 'they' exactly, and with this post, you're on the same level as jlkuke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
MY opinion was Texas is the greatest state ever. Houston is arguably on the same level as LA and CHI when it comes to important.
How is Houston on the same level with LA and Chi though? You can't just say NASA, Medical, and Oil. You can at least so how those things propel Houston to LA and Chi's level in your opinion. I'm not seeing it, because those cities have all that, and more (well, Chicago doesn't have NASA or Oil, but other things in the place of that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 08:45 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
MY opinion was Texas is the greatest state ever. Houston is arguably on the same level as LA and CHI when it comes to important.
Post your reasons. Justify why Houston should be on that level. Because YOU are the only one that believes that Houston is on the level of Chicago and Los Angeles. Give us reasons why you believe this. You have three Houstonians disagreeing with you on this one. So I'd like to hear your take on why you believe this.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:46 PM

56 posts, read 118,621 times
I'll be the one to do the thread revival

A lot of people on this thread seem to believe that Houston will be larger than the city of Chicago by 2020, I was wondering where people were getting all these numbers to prove that Houston would be larger, but no one seemed to have a link.

So I found one by myself.

Here are the populations for the cities in 2006, and 2025:

Chicago, IL:

2006: 2,833,321
2025: 3,196,000
FAIR: City Factsheet: Chicago, Illinois

Houston, TX:

2006: 2,144,419
2025: 3,069,000
FAIR: City Factsheet: Houston, Texas

The gap is closing, but I think Chicago will always be ahead, or they may constantly switch as the third and fourth largest cities. But I'm not sure if Chicago will stay that low as there is talk of annexing some of cook county to help pick up the massive debt the cities in, but nearly every city in the country is in massive debt these days.

Also, I'd like to point out that Chicago is the only city in the country that will the census predicts will have a gain, after a loss. Every other city that's been declining in population will continue to do so except Chicago.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:56 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracra1 View Post
I'll be the one to do the thread revival

A lot of people on this thread seem to believe that Houston will be larger than the city of Chicago by 2020, I was wondering where people were getting all these numbers to prove that Houston would be larger, but no one seemed to have a link.

So I found one by myself.

Here are the populations for the cities in 2006, and 2025:

Chicago, IL:

2006: 2,833,321
2025: 3,196,000
FAIR: City Factsheet: Chicago, Illinois

Houston, TX:

2006: 2,144,419
2025: 3,069,000
FAIR: City Factsheet: Houston, Texas

The gap is closing, but I think Chicago will always be ahead, or they may constantly switch as the third and fourth largest cities. But I'm not sure if Chicago will stay that low as there is talk of annexing some of cook county to help pick up the massive debt the cities in, but nearly every city in the country is in massive debt these days.

Also, I'd like to point out that Chicago is the only city in the country that will the census predicts will have a gain, after a loss. Every other city that's been declining in population will continue to do so except Chicago.
The population estimates for 2025 are garbage. They simply extrapolate current rates of growth out through 2025.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:21 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Right. Chicago is noted as the fastest growing city in human history. Going from a swampy bog to a city of over 1 million people in only a few decades. In less than 100 years it went from absoltely nothing to the 5th largest city on earth.

Everything changes with time. If we kept that same growth rate from the 1900's we'd be projected to have tens and tens of millions of people by today.

It's not like cities that are growing by 20% every 10 years are going to keep doing that for decades to come. It's all about economics. Sometimes you're hot, sometimes you're not. Some cities have a quick break and then fade into history, some are hot their entire lives. Overall though it's nearly impossible to forecast out beyond 10 years.

In the 1950's the northern industrial cities were the cities of the future. Suddenly industry moved overseas and the last thing anyone imagined happend - they faded from glory.

Who's to say oil won't skyrocket and suddenly the most undesirable places are those with urban sprawl and no possibility for smart transit and density. I'm certainly not saying it will happen, but logically suburbs and sprawling cities could easily become slums faster than anyone can realize.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:04 AM

56 posts, read 118,621 times
If that were the case, Dallas/Fort Worth would cease to exist.

Anyway, if Chicago can some how manage to annex more of cook county (not going to happen), it would once again become the second largest city in the country with a population of around 7,000,000.

I was reading something that said Chicago has the potential to house over 5,500,000 residents, and that would be its maximum density. With the cost of parking going up, that seems unlikely.

But I do think that since the city is trying really hard to get the middle class back in, by bettering public school, lowering the crime rate, Chicago will start to take off again and I think it will be a lot harder for it to fall this time.

White families are actually increasing in numbers in Chicago, when for the past fourty years, their numbers have been declining.

Anyway, if Chicago can get back up to the 3,000,000 and continue its growth for a decade, I don't think it will ever drop lower than that again.

Chicago is and always will be America's true Second City, no doubt.

As hard as Houston or L.A may try, they just wont ever match it, ever.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:22 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Quote:

Anyway, if Chicago can some how manage to annex more of cook county (not going to happen), it would once again become the second largest city in the country with a population of around 7,000,000.

I was reading something that said Chicago has the potential to house over 5,500,000 residents, and that would be its maximum density. With the cost of parking going up, that seems unlikely.

But I do think that since the city is trying really hard to get the middle class back in, by bettering public school, lowering the crime rate, Chicago will start to take off again and I think it will be a lot harder for it to fall this time.

White families are actually increasing in numbers in Chicago, when for the past fourty years, their numbers have been declining.

Anyway, if Chicago can get back up to the 3,000,000 and continue its growth for a decade, I don't think it will ever drop lower than that again.

Houston may never be better than Chicago but L.A. has always been better than Chicago and will always be better than Chicago.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:

LA already matches Chicago (easily) and in many ways, has surpasses Chicago (in GDP for example). You should stop with your fantasies on Chicago annexing Cook County, because that's not going to happen. You're not going to get other cities to want to become part of Chicago. Also, Chicago, though growing, is barely growing. I highly doubt it goes to max density anytime soon either, and imagine if Houston would grow to max density, or LA. They can fit much more people in their city limits than Chicago. Though again, none of this will ever happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Right. Chicago is noted as the fastest growing city in human history. Going from a swampy bog to a city of over 1 million people in only a few decades. In less than 100 years it went from absoltely nothing to the 5th largest city on earth.

Everything changes with time. If we kept that same growth rate from the 1900's we'd be projected to have tens and tens of millions of people by today.

It's not like cities that are growing by 20% every 10 years are going to keep doing that for decades to come. It's all about economics. Sometimes you're hot, sometimes you're not. Some cities have a quick break and then fade into history, some are hot their entire lives. Overall though it's nearly impossible to forecast out beyond 10 years.

In the 1950's the northern industrial cities were the cities of the future. Suddenly industry moved overseas and the last thing anyone imagined happend - they faded from glory.

Who's to say oil won't skyrocket and suddenly the most undesirable places are those with urban sprawl and no possibility for smart transit and density. I'm certainly not saying it will happen, but logically suburbs and sprawling cities could easily become slums faster than anyone can realize.
You don't think the Chicago Fire contributed to the growth spurt in Chicago at the time?

Old 12-20-2008, 07:43 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
You don't think the Chicago Fire contributed to the growth spurt in Chicago at the time?
The city experienced a slight growth slowdown after the fire, but it had rebounded back within 10-15 years. The population during the fire period was only 10% of its population 80 years later, and the fire destroyed mainly the downtown area, and not the other 75% of the city. It didn't really have a huge impact on the growth of the city, just the health. They were able to re-tool and change a lot of things when they rebuilt the heart of the city that made it more progressive and clean/efficient.

I also agree that Chicago will NEVER merge with Cook County. That isn't even being talked about by anyone. I also would never see Chicago city getting up to 5.5 million people. The max was 3.6 million, and that has been reduced to around 2.9 million because of the drop in density around the country since the 1950's. Many family's move to the edge of urban areas (suburbs), and you don't have 10 people crowded into apartments like you use to see. I think 3.2 is the max I'd like to see.....it's already crowded here, I wouldn't stick around to deal with another 2.5 million people.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:24 AM

And that is what I was thinking about. A lot of the people moving out live in those cramped apartments/projects/homes. The people coming in are usually professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City