U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 473 41.35%
No 671 58.65%
Voters: 1144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2009, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Reputation: 8963

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I gotta disagree with that
Disagree with what? Every city has a ghetto. Every city has a hood. People from Pleasant Grove in Dallas will not just ride into North Memphis and think they are the boss. Same way vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2009, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times
Reputation: 7238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Disagree with what? Every city has a ghetto. Every city has a hood. People from Pleasant Grove in Dallas will not just ride into North Memphis and think they are the boss. Same way vice versa.
So your saying some petty hood in a small city like Waco or Killeen is no worse than hoods in bigger cities. What about the hoods in Denver?? are they as bad as the hoods in Houston???

Yeah you can get robbed, shot, or killed in any hoods, but in some places (Like Trinidad or Barry Farms in DC) it happens more than often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
So your saying some petty hood in a small city like Waco or Killeen is no worse than hoods in bigger cities. What about the hoods in Denver?? are they as bad as the hoods in Houston???

Yeah you can get robbed, shot, or killed in any hoods, but in some places (Like Trinidad or Barry Farms in DC) it happens more than often.
Let me put it like this. You are no longer the big cheif or the big man once you leave the area you are familiar with. You are going to have to adapt and conform to the area you are now in whether temporarily or permantely. Yes, Denver does have hoods and if you honestly believe just because you come from Houston or DC and you can go to Denver and do anything you want, you will not make it back to Houston or DC.

If you think you're billybada** and you want to show how powerful you are in other hoods around various cities around the country, good luck. Chances are that you will be humbled quite quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 11:35 AM
 
14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
Reputation: 4085
I agree^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 11:42 AM
 
14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
Reputation: 4085
Especially(no offense) Northerners that come down here talking as if they're THE American gangster. They say someones hood isnt "hard". When in reality they are just as liable to get murdered as anyone else. He may think he can "set up shop", BUT I would love to see hime go to sharpstown, or cloverland, or little haiti in miami, or overtown, liberty city, opa-locka, miami gardens, or compton, watts, inglewood, oak cliff(dallas), bank head, 3rd ward New Orleans and "set up shop". Im not saying Chicago isnt "hard" but tha dosent mean you can go ANYWHERE and take over. Heck tourist would even get robbed and shot at taking the wrong turn in Miami. And by the way to add to this thread, I think Houston MAY pass Chi-town in population because Houston is growing pretty fast. But I dont know if Houston metro would pass chi-town metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,446,220 times
Reputation: 3545
Sharpstown is not the hood. Now, the apartments NEAR Sharpstown is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 01:00 PM
 
14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
Reputation: 4085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Sharpstown is not the hood. Now, the apartments NEAR Sharpstown is.
Yeah thats what I meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times
Reputation: 7238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Let me put it like this. You are no longer the big cheif or the big man once you leave the area you are familiar with. You are going to have to adapt and conform to the area you are now in whether temporarily or permantely. Yes, Denver does have hoods and if you honestly believe just because you come from Houston or DC and you can go to Denver and do anything you want, you will not make it back to Houston or DC.

If you think you're billybada** and you want to show how powerful you are in other hoods around various cities around the country, good luck. Chances are that you will be humbled quite quick.
I don't think I'm nothing but myself, but still some hoods are much worse than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 01:02 PM
 
14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
Reputation: 4085
The hoods in Houston are divide strange. You have crime filled appartments and right next to safe neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't think I'm nothing but myself, but still some hoods are much worse than others.
My comment wasn't to you but to people in general that thinks they can run things in other hoods in other cities just because they are big in their own hood in their own city. Just because one comes from the projects of Chicago does not mean he will roll on down to Jackson, Mississippi and demand respect. That's what I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top