U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 492 41.55%
No 692 58.45%
Voters: 1184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2009, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Southern California (currently)
188 posts, read 456,400 times
Reputation: 120

Advertisements

There is no way on earth that Houston can double in population in 10 years (I'm talking Greater Houston surpassing Chicagoland). That is unless Chicago goes through a major depression. Dallas+Ft. Worth will have a better chance. I can see another 3.5 million people moving to Dallas, but not within the next 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2009, 08:27 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,842,656 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post
There is no way on earth that Houston can double in population in 10 years (I'm talking Greater Houston surpassing Chicagoland). That is unless Chicago goes through a major depression. Dallas+Ft. Worth will have a better chance. I can see another 3.5 million people moving to Dallas, but not within the next 10 years.
The thread was not discussing metro area populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Wauwatosa
188 posts, read 433,743 times
Reputation: 55
Chicago had a huge boom where families moved from chicago, out to the burbs because the housing boom made it affordable for them to do so. However these families are now growing up and college kids or younger are moving back into the city. Chicago will have another growth spurt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2009, 09:59 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,773,778 times
Reputation: 4213
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post
There is no way on earth that Houston can double in population in 10 years (I'm talking Greater Houston surpassing Chicagoland). That is unless Chicago goes through a major depression. Dallas+Ft. Worth will have a better chance. I can see another 3.5 million people moving to Dallas, but not within the next 10 years.
We were talking about city populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 05:04 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,643 posts, read 27,082,820 times
Reputation: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonra25 View Post
Chicago had a huge boom where families moved from chicago, out to the burbs because the housing boom made it affordable for them to do so. However these families are now growing up and college kids or younger are moving back into the city. Chicago will have another growth spurt
I fully expect Chicago to be over 3 million by the time census 2010 rolls around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 6,401,374 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I fully expect Chicago to be over 3 million by the time census 2010 rolls around.
Wishful thinking. I'm going with 2.9 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 10:37 AM
 
259 posts, read 467,490 times
Reputation: 93
Well actually if you look at the development in Chicago you will see that condos are being built EVERYWHERE people are beginning to leave the suburbs and populate the city again...out south its anywhere from like maybe the 60's to the downtown area....Englewood is one such place..there is so much development being done around there and many people are moving into those areas so I believe Chicago will be at about 3 mil sooner or later and to answer the question

NO Houston won't be passing Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:23 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,773,778 times
Reputation: 4213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
Well actually if you look at the development in Chicago you will see that condos are being built EVERYWHERE people are beginning to leave the suburbs and populate the city again...out south its anywhere from like maybe the 60's to the downtown area....Englewood is one such place..there is so much development being done around there and many people are moving into those areas so I believe Chicago will be at about 3 mil sooner or later and to answer the question

NO Houston won't be passing Chicago
Good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Wauwatosa
188 posts, read 433,743 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I fully expect Chicago to be over 3 million by the time census 2010 rolls around.
Im moving into Chicago this summer. College grad this May, born and raised in the burbs, and im not the only person doing this either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Chicago
4,672 posts, read 8,931,959 times
Reputation: 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonra25 View Post
Chicago had a huge boom where families moved from chicago, out to the burbs because the housing boom made it affordable for them to do so. However these families are now growing up and college kids or younger are moving back into the city. Chicago will have another growth spurt
Chicago has seen the 20 something crowd move back into the city for much of the past two decades. But without an adequate public and magnet school system, many of them end up heading back to the burbs when the family begins to grow.

We may continue the modest gains of the 90's, but you won't see a growth spurt until it becomes much easier for families to remain in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top