U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 473 41.35%
No 671 58.65%
Voters: 1144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2009, 09:21 PM
 
Location: The land of sugar... previously Houston and Austin
5,429 posts, read 12,863,969 times
Reputation: 3622

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Houston would never be bigger than Chicago. San Francisco isn't even half the size of Houston yet its "bigger" in terms of importance. If Houston disappeared, we could bounce back fairly quickly. if S.F of Chicago were gone, the economy would fall through the bottom.
That's interesting, because last time I checked Houston was the "energy capital", had the Texas Medical Center (largest grouping of hospitals/medical research in the world), and was NASA mission control for manned space flight. If you drive a car that uses gasoline, want a cure for cancer or inquire about the universe, you need Houston in some way. Not saying Houston is more important than the above named cities at all, but really, try and be realistic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2009, 09:31 PM
 
Location: West Town, Chicago
633 posts, read 1,222,874 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Houston would never be bigger than Chicago. San Francisco isn't even half the size of Houston yet its "bigger" in terms of importance. If Houston disappeared, we could bounce back fairly quickly. if S.F of Chicago were gone, the economy would fall through the bottom.

Phenoix is a joke. Any city can have huge boarders and claim 1.5 million people. Philadelphia manages to do that in 100 sq miles, in Pheonix it takes over 500.
That's pretty harsh (about Houston).

That's pretty accurate (about Phoenix).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 09:33 PM
 
464 posts, read 949,282 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
That's interesting, because last time I checked Houston was the "energy capital", had the Texas Medical Center (largest grouping of hospitals/medical research in the world), and was NASA mission control for manned space flight. If you drive a car that uses gasoline, want a cure for cancer or inquire about the universe, you need Houston in some way. Not saying Houston is more important than the above named cities at all, but really, try and be realistic...
Houston hasn't given us any legitiment alternative energy source or discovered a cure for cancer. Until they do, they are VERY replaceable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 09:46 PM
 
0 posts, read 1,269,721 times
Reputation: 10
It will.

Chicago population continues to decline while Houston gained the most in the past 5 years.

I see tons of Illionis plates in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 09:51 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,176 posts, read 1,689,822 times
Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
After reading some of your post, you've been saying the exact opposite. Chicago > Houston on every level excluding winter weather. Houston is overgrown suburbia that wants to be something big, while Chicago is a true urban American city with easily 100x more to offer than Houston. Houston is a bleh city. If it werent the fourth largest city in the country, it would hardly be talked about. It might hurt to hear that, but its the truth.
No that's not the truth just your biased opinion. Chicago doesn't have more to offer than Houston. They offer about the same. You've probably never even been to Houston but you're an expert on Houston though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 09:57 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,176 posts, read 1,689,822 times
Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Houston would never be bigger than Chicago. San Francisco isn't even half the size of Houston yet its "bigger" in terms of importance. If Houston disappeared, we could bounce back fairly quickly. if S.F of Chicago were gone, the economy would fall through the bottom.

Phenoix is a joke. Any city can have huge boarders and claim 1.5 million people. Philadelphia manages to do that in 100 sq miles, in Pheonix it takes over 500.
You're wrong again. If Chicago disappeared we would also bounce back fairly quickly. You definitely have too much confidence in Chicago. By the way most people would say L.A. blows Chicago out of the water. Your Chicago bias is funny. Tell me some more jokes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 10:00 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,176 posts, read 1,689,822 times
Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
That's interesting, because last time I checked Houston was the "energy capital", had the Texas Medical Center (largest grouping of hospitals/medical research in the world), and was NASA mission control for manned space flight. If you drive a car that uses gasoline, want a cure for cancer or inquire about the universe, you need Houston in some way. Not saying Houston is more important than the above named cities at all, but really, try and be realistic...
Spire is very unrealistic. He's making me laugh. This blog is starting to turn into the Comedy Channel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 10:04 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,176 posts, read 1,689,822 times
Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Houston hasn't given us any legitiment alternative energy source or discovered a cure for cancer. Until they do, they are VERY replaceable.
Has Chicago cured cancer? So according to your logic Chicago is also very replaceable. Here again you don't know what you're talking about. Houston has the number 1 cancer treatment center in the world. There's a reason people all over the U.S. and people all over the world come to Houston for cancer treatment. Because Houston does it the best. Oh yeah I forgot that you know everything!! My bad!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,176 posts, read 1,689,822 times
Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
It will.

Chicago population continues to decline while Houston gained the most in the past 5 years.

I see tons of Illionis plates in Houston.
Yeah but you forget that Spire has a lot of animosity towards Houston. No matter how good Houston is Spire will continue to say it's the worst place on earth. I think he's trying to tell us in an indirect way that he wants to win the argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 10:26 PM
 
Location: West Town, Chicago
633 posts, read 1,222,874 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo2008 View Post
no that's not the truth just your biased opinion. Chicago doesn't have more to offer than houston. They offer about the same. You've probably never even been to houston but you're an expert on houston though.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top