Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:20 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,911,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
--Chicago was popular until air travel became common.
--Oprah won't stage any new shows at her Chicago headquarters and can't move since she'll be accused of bashing Chicago. Her company likes to record them in Los Angeles and Manhattan/Brooklyn.
--Nobody thinks of Chicago in the media; they're cutting back their bureaus and only use Chicago as an example that they don't ignore the Great Middle when they actually do.

Got it wrong again
1. Los Angeles
2. New York City
3. San Francisco
4. Philadelphia
5. Houston
6. Atlanta
7. Dallas
8. Miami
9. Washington D.C.
20. Peoria
30. Springfield, IL
1000000000. Chicago

When your obvious bias shows, it takes away some of your credibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 09:27 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,283,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
And clearly celebrity stardom/media hype is an excellent proxy for quality.

Before you raise your eyebrow saying "celebrities" keep in mind that celebrities are not only Britney Spears and Brad Pitt but also Dustin Hoffman, Scorsese, Hanks and De Niro. Sting is a celebrtiy and so were Tito Puente and Miles Davies. Donald Trump is a celebrity and so is Stephen Hawkins. Kasparov was a celebrity and os was Michael Jordan and Kournikova.There are arts, media, sports and business celebrities with Bill Gates being a prime example.

So just do not bash those who are famous as they usually owe their fame to their talent and hard work.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:29 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,283,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
When your obvious bias shows, it takes away some of your credibility.

What bias? Oprah spends most of the time on her ranch in California.
There are airports with higher passenger annual count then Chicago.
Yes, press is moving away as there is not much to report from Midwest that would be of interest to the entire nation.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:49 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,058,551 times
Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world. I've been there a couple of times and it's pretty crowded.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 PM

633 posts, read 1,439,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
You're exactly right. Most people don't care about Chicago. LA and NYC get all the air time. chitown2pa and Spire fail to realize this. Ignorance is bliss!!!
Hey, relax.

It's not that most people "don't care" about Chicago. That would be like saying most people don't care about Houston. Just because certain people don't care about our cities, that doesn't mean that "most" people don't care about them. The fact of the matter is, they do care, but they just might not know it.

Every time somebody enjoys produce shipped from California or Florida, they are appreciating something brought via Chicago. Every time somebody gases up their car, they are appreciating something dug up in Houston and traded in Chicago. Every time someone admires a skyscraper, they have Chicago to thank for its innovation in creating the steel-framed sky scraper.

So Houston and Chicago don't get inundated with celebrities? Who cares! That's a great thing! Celebrities don't contribute anything positive to our culture that you or I need to care about. If they all want to live on the coasts, I say give me the Mid-Continent and let them keep their pretense and faux-activism.

I will say it again: Chicago does not need to be recognized by celebrities as being better than New York. It only needs to be recognized by Chicagoans as such. And so far, so good.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
:dubiou s:

seriously... seriously...? I had to read that 3 times before I actually realized it was a real post.

Chicago is in no way shape or form superior to NYC.

The only people who think this, or even think Chicago is close (it isn't) are delusional Chicago homers.

Honestly I like Chicago a lot, I spent 4 years there yada yada (no not in the burbs), but you have to be out of your mind to think this kind of stuff.
Thanks, but that's not the case. Chicago is filled with people who have moved here because they believe that very idea. It's funny you say that, because I was talking with my buddy Drew today. He's been to many cities all over the US and the world. To him, Chicago is tied for "most beautiful city" with Paris. And there is no city in which he would rather live. My friend Alyssa moved here from DC for the same reason. My fraternity brother, Ethan, grew up in Jersey and now lives in Philly. To him, NYC was always the quintessential city. Then he started visiting Chicago annually in 2006. It took him three visits, and in 2008 he declared Chicago his favorite city--the best city, in his opinion.

Now, sure, these are people that I know, and that is a pretty limited sample. However, these three are really great examples of three individuals who are worldly, well-traveled, and very, very sane.

They all say Chicago is better than NYC. I agree. I would much, much rather live in Chicago than NYC. NYC is second, though, because honestly it is a great city. Nobody is denying that. However, just because it is bigger does NOT mean it's better. That much should be obvious (otherwise, I could name you a dozen world cities that would be "better" than NYC).

Old 05-14-2009, 05:45 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,382,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Hey, relax.

It's not that most people "don't care" about Chicago. That would be like saying most people don't care about Houston. Just because certain people don't care about our cities, that doesn't mean that "most" people don't care about them. The fact of the matter is, they do care, but they just might not know it.

Every time somebody enjoys produce shipped from California or Florida, they are appreciating something brought via Chicago. .
Um...So if i live in Portland, OR and I am eating a California Raison I should thank Chicago? Or if I live in Atlanta, GA and eat a Florida Orange I should thank Chicago?

Old 05-14-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Um...So if i live in Portland, OR and I am eating a California Raison I should thank Chicago? Or if I live in Atlanta, GA and eat a Florida Orange I should thank Chicago?
Sure, if you want to. Maybe for keeping those growers in business, if nothing else!

lol

Old 05-14-2009, 09:24 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,256,177 times
I think Houston could possibly pass up Chicago by 2020 but it doesn't matter. Chicago will still have the larger metro area

Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,382,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Sure, if you want to. Maybe for keeping those growers in business, if nothing else!

lol
I don't understand what point you are trying to make. What does Chicago have to do with California and Florida produce?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City