Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:50 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times

Advertisements

doesn't matter, boston is what, 650k? Its more of a city to me than houston at over 2 million. so is san francisco at 800k

when you start doing size of cities, etc... you have to factor in quantity AND quality... Chicago has both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 05:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
yeah there are several factors... to each their own.
LA also has quantity and quality, I just don't like that type of city.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:55 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
doesn't matter, boston is what, 650k? Its more of a city to me than houston at over 2 million. so is san francisco at 800k

when you start doing size of cities, etc... you have to factor in quantity AND quality... Chicago has both.
I assume you're talking about my post?

Yeah, but it's a subjective case. You and I like an urban city, doesn't mean everyone else has to though.

Quality is highly subjective. I like life in downtown Chicago, Houston doesn't have that to the same extent. But I know plenty of people who like the Houston style of housing more (like my parents).

All in all, Chicago does have the best of both worlds. When you're in say Naperville, you won't ever feel you're apart of a metropolitan area that even resembles downtown Chicago. Vice versa when talking about downtown Chicago to Naperville.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
yeah there are several factors... to each their own.
LA also has quantity and quality, I just don't like that type of city.
Yeah I feel you, I think you like a city where not owning a car is convenient. And where public transportation is not only efficient but it's also comfortable.

They're just two different in that case. It's really what you like more. I like having my own car, and being in control of my time, but I hate traffic and sometimes wish Houston had better transportation so that way I wouldn't have to drive to the airport all the time and instead take a train.

But yeah it goes both ways.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:16 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
If it does surpass Chicago (which I think it won't) it still won't be as important as Chicago..
It may have a larger GDP if it gets to that point so it would certainly be more important in certain aspects.

I really doubt that the city of Houston would surpass Chicago's/

Old 06-07-2010, 06:42 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
If it does surpass Chicago (which I think it won't) it still won't be as important as Chicago..
The only thing Chicago has on us at this point is GDP as far as importance.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:50 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,132 times
Chicago has much bigger issues than they lead on.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The only thing Chicago has on us at this point is GDP as far as importance.
Finance, corporate business overall, airport, and immigration entry are amongst the first I can think of, and there are other things as well.

But that's not to take away there's things Houston's got that Chicago doesn't.

But I really can't say in importance that their on the same level yet. I can't really see many cities there yet, but Chicago established itself early 20th century. In 1930's it was where all the hype was at. It was "America's most prosperous and fastest growing city". That's just a title Houston hasn't reached it's prime on, and it will take a few decades to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Chicago has much bigger issues than they lead on.
Like what?

Old 06-07-2010, 06:56 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Finance, corporate business overall, airport, and immigration entry are amongst the first I can think of, and there are other things as well.

But that's not to take away there's things Houston's got that Chicago doesn't.

But I really can't say in importance that their on the same level yet. I can't really see many cities there yet, but Chicago established itself early 20th century. In 1930's it was where all the hype was at. It was "America's most prosperous and fastest growing city". That's just a title Houston hasn't reached it's prime on, and it will take a few decades to do so.

Like what?
If the southside was a city unto itself, it would make detroit look like shangri la.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
If the southside was a city unto itself, it would make detroit look like shangri la.
No doubt, some of the areas in the Southern portion of the city are really holding it back.

I truly hope they adapt to statistical weaponry and defense methods to protect the city, LA developed SWAT to help fight the crime in the city a while ago.

Chicago really needs to get with the program and make those number shrink faster than it is right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City