Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:17 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
. I live in both Houston and Chicago. Currently living here (Chicago) for the summer by myself at our place here, my parents are in Houston right now, and I'll be going back in a few weeks.

Lol, I think it would be okay for me to talk about both. I call both places my home haha. But you didn't call me out on anything so I can't really refute that you meant to say me, but just thought I bring it into the open to avoid confusions later on in this thread if necessary.
I wasn't referring to you, Lovemuffin. I know you live in both and you actually know what you speak of. The same can't be said of all posters on here. You're actually have a degree of credibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 01:23 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
I wasn't referring to you, Lovemuffin. I know you live in both and you actually know what you speak of. The same can't be said of all posters on here. You're actually have a degree of credibility.
I had a brief question, you once stated that "Houston is the only real city in Texas", why did you think that? (just curious- as to what sets them apart)
Normally people from various parts of Texas think of Dallas when they think of the "true Texas".

Old 06-08-2010, 01:42 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,620 times
Quote:
I had a brief question, you once stated that "Houston is the only real city in Texas", why did you think that? (just curious- as to what sets them apart)
Normally people from various parts of Texas think of Dallas when they think of the "true Texas".
That was me being silly, but being sort of true. Even though Houston is very much a mass of sprawl like Dallas, there seems to be a "soul" to Houston that Dallas seriously lacks. Dallas tries too hard to be something that it's not while Houston is a lot less pretentious and revels in it's good and bad and ugly. It's not my favorite city by any means, but I like it for a few reasons.

...well, except for the delusional homers who think its on the level of Chicago or LA. Which it most certainly is not.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:30 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
actually being a dense world class urban city would be the major difference in Chicago and everything that comes with it over Houston, but you have never actually been to one of these. When you do go to new york, chicago, san francisco, etc... you'll understand what all the hoopla is about. Not saying you'll like it, but you'll understand the difference. Having oil and seaports no more would effect my life living in Houston than having a bunch of banks and insurance companies in Chicago or a bunch of tech companies in bay area would, when people talk about "city life" it has nothing to do with that....none of these are pluses over Chicago for Houston, nobody cares about that...they care about the cultural events and amenities, arts, music, nightlife, restaurants, architecture, lifestyles, festivals, shopping, public transportation, number of vibrant neighborhoods stuff that EVERYBODY can participate in by being there...all in which Chicago trounces Houston. Now if you prefer the sunbelt layout of cities, then it could be completely reversed. And Houston would win on having a bigger yard, bigger house to roll around in, all at a cheaper COL, and different value system where house size and personal space weighs in more than anything the city can provide. etc. Completely different style cities though.
What does this have to do with Chicago being extremely more important???

I understand what your saying and I agree, but my argument is what would make Houston extremely less important than Chicago??? The fact that Houston has a coastal location gives it an edge (not saying it's more important than Chicago, but I don't see what Chicago really has on us besides GDP as far as economically and importance).

Old 06-08-2010, 06:52 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
What does this have to do with Chicago being extremely more important???

I understand what your saying and I agree, but my argument is what would make Houston extremely less important than Chicago??? The fact that Houston has a coastal location gives it an edge (not saying it's more important than Chicago, but I don't see what Chicago really has on us besides GDP as far as economically and importance).
larger trade market.
larger transportation market and hub.
much larger financial center.
one of the better educated centers in the nation.
one of the alpha cities in the nation.
also a very important medical center
etc. etc.

It's more important than Houston bruh. It's on another level.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:03 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
larger trade market.
larger transportation market and hub.
much larger financial center.
one of the better educated centers in the nation.
one of the alpha cities in the nation.
also a very important medical center
etc. etc.

It's more important than Houston bruh. It's on another level.
Never said it wasn't, but to act as if Houston can't compete is crazy. It seems people deem it important just due to the fact that it's larger. Considering the size of Houston and Chicago's metropolitan areas and their GDPs; Houston is no slouch.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Never said it wasn't, but to act as if Houston can't compete is crazy. It seems people deem it important just due to the fact that it's larger. Considering the size of Houston and Chicago's metropolitan areas and their GDPs; Houston is no slouch.
I'm sure it can compete but most of the time, Chicago will come out on top just like Chicago can compete with New York. But most of the time New York will come out on top. I'm sure Austin could compete with Houston in some things as well. But when it comes down to it, Houston will come out on top. Chicago is simply on another tier compared to Houston and that is no knock on Houston.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:51 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Finance, corporate business overall, airport, and immigration entry are amongst the first I can think of, and there are other things as well.

But that's not to take away there's things Houston's got that Chicago doesn't.

But I really can't say in importance that their on the same level yet. I can't really see many cities there yet, but Chicago established itself early 20th century. In 1930's it was where all the hype was at. It was "America's most prosperous and fastest growing city". That's just a title Houston hasn't reached it's prime on, and it will take a few decades to do so.

Like what?
Houston and Chicago's international immigration is almost equal now. Houston has gained a lot of ground. The domestic migration isn't even close. Chicago's has been negative for twenty years. Houston had the most domestic residents gained last year.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:41 PM

20 posts, read 18,232 times
realy they might be biger all ready or closer, texas had the lowest nuber of census returns this year. alot of peaple didnt feelthem out and not to metion all the imergrants in the state

Old 06-30-2010, 03:43 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas940 View Post
realy they might be biger all ready or closer, texas had the lowest nuber of census returns this year. alot of peaple didnt feelthem out and not to metion all the imergrants in the state

I wouldn't be surprised it was, maybe 200 or 300K more already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City