Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:13 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I am just saying saying that both Dallas and Houston (even more so) have shown overinflated emperic growth based off of GDP metrics directly realted to the price of oil per barrel and revenues at the pump. Yes Houston is closer to Chicago on size and economic output than Chicago is to NYC. I think Houston has had a great economy and growth but the numbers on growth are a direct benefit of the price of crude not all based on expansion or vitality of the particular industry. So as the price of crude goes up and basically all other part of the US economy stalled (little or no inflation) the multiplier on the price of crude overstate the true growth (which is very good without)

And on that basis I still belive the Chicago is stll far ahead of Houston overall, similar to the population of the area - many times these are fairly directly correlated sans unemployment and overall vitality. Plus these metrics take zero consideration to the Chicago mercatile exchange which is a huge money multiplier and not accounted for on any specific P&L
Do I wanna evaluate on Revenue or EBITDA, I would typically use the later
all the fancy math, projections and fandangly arguments that make we texans head hurt asside, when you look at HOuston's GDP it has been steadily rising while that of Chicago has been rising at a slower pace. so how do you explain that with the stalled out economies and multiplier do whatsits???

Like I said before. It doesn't matter where we get it from, just as long as we are legitimately getting it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 08:20 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Yes but revenue is not profit

and the size differance between NYC and Chicago is vastly different from the size differance between Chicago and Houston

Chicago + Houston times 4 = NYC
What? Houston's GDP is a 403B, and Chicago's at 579B, so I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from. Mine are from the BEA.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
all the fancy math, projections and fandangly arguments that make we texans head hurt asside, when you look at HOuston's GDP it has been steadily rising while that of Chicago has been rising at a slower pace. so how do you explain that with the stalled out economies and multiplier do whatsits???

Like I said before. It doesn't matter where we get it from, just as long as we are legitimately getting it

It is a real metric, I just question whether it is the best to assess growth. Now having many large coproarations is typically good. But that is also headquarters, which can mean the vast majority of jobs aren't even there. I live in a area where the largest worldwide concentration of Pharma jobs and commerce exists yet many companies (more than 60% of GDP) are headquartered in Eurpoe so the HQ and Revenues are accounted for elsewhere yet more than 80% of Pharma commerce take place here. Point is no single metric tells the whole story. On Chicago's growth at a smaller rate yes, consistent with US GDP, my point there actually.

I am sorry in a former life I did company valuation and M&A work so I spent all day evaluating true worth. many of these topline metrics can be directional at best.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
And on that basis I still belive the Chicago is stll far ahead of Houston overall,
you may believe it is, but it is not.

Gross metropolitan product - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-10-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
It is a real metric, I just question whether it is the best to assess growth. Now having many large coproarations is typically good. But that is also headquarters, which can mean the vast majority of jobs aren't even there. I live in a area where the largest worldwide concentration of Pharma jobs and commerce exists yet many companies (more than 60% of GDP) are headquartered in Eurpoe so the HQ and Revenues are accounted for elsewhere yet more than 80% of Pharma commerce take place here. Point is no single metric tells the whole story. On Chicago's growth at a smaller rate yes, consistent with US GDP, my point there actually.

I am sorry in a former life I did company valuation and M&A work so I spent all day evaluating true worth. many of these topline metrics can be directional at best.
I am not a business person. biotechnology is my field. All I care about is that I see Houston's GDP and the area's GAP grow and it puts a smile on my face

Old 07-10-2010, 08:27 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,829,576 times
Quote:
Man if Boston had Rhode Island in its Metro we would be past San Fran, and maybe even Philly

Old 07-10-2010, 08:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
What a Soap Opera, we're not even talking about the real topic anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
Man if Boston had Rhode Island in its Metro we would be past San Fran, and maybe even Philly
Lol, the same way how San Francisco/Oakland can add in San Jose and zip past Boston yet again to take the lead over it once more.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Yes another metric where the price of crude has a significant impact. My point is the Economy of Houston has not grown by 40% in the last ten years, 20% adjusted at best. These are real metrics I just do not believe they portray the truest measure of economic strength. But either way Houston's growth is very admirable and better than just about any city in the US over the same time

These metics are great for press releases and to sell magazines but do not tell the whole story

Old 07-10-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
How is RI's GDP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:36 PM

Plus these metrics exclude other privately held orginazations or exchanges and many other prominent money producers.

As and another example (and I use this because I speak closely) Vanguard (you may know it the 2nd largest Fund company in the world maybe even your 401K) in Philadelphia handles more than 1.3 trillion dollars worth of transactions per year and employs 13,000 people in the area yet is not included in any of these metrics
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City