Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Houston annexed for a "larger tax base" which is bizarre in my opinion. By annexing hundreds of square miles, they are forced too provide services to those areas. They need more workers, more equipment, more police officers, firefights, etc.
Not Necessarily. Most of the areas Houston annexed recently have been areas around highways, malls, airports, etc. Its all odd patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 02:42 PM

633 posts, read 1,441,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
It was real interesting looking at this list. It's cool to see how things have changed over the years. NYC started out at 33,000. Boy how things have changed!!!! America's population has boomed big time.
Very cool list.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:24 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Very cool list.
Yeah I like history. History is pretty interesting. I like looking at old population figures, pictures, etc. You find out the "why" behind things. It's always interesting to find out the "why" behind things.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah I like history. History is pretty interesting. I like looking at old population figures, pictures, etc. You find out the "why" behind things. It's always interesting to find out the "why" behind things.
That is true. I actually got my B.A. in History so I am all about finding out the story behind the story. Especially when it comes to cities. It's incredible that a place like Chicago or NYC started with just a few thousand people.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:28 AM

542 posts, read 991,178 times
I don't think it will. I definitely hope not at least. I don't even like Los Angeles being the second biggest city in the country. Nothing personal. I just think a grand old historic city with great buildings and architecture and historic population and significance should keep its status as one of the big three US cities, and not give it up to a newbie city!

Old 07-18-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
That is true. I actually got my B.A. in History so I am all about finding out the story behind the story. Especially when it comes to cities. It's incredible that a place like Chicago or NYC started with just a few thousand people.
It's easy to imagine if you think about it. Just think about the first couple on Earth. The whole human race originated from two people. So what this means is the human population everywhere on Earth was 0 except for this one place that had two people; and you thought Mayberry was bad!!!

Old 07-18-2010, 03:29 AM

Quote:
It's easy to imagine if you think about it. Just think about the first couple on Earth. The whole human race originated from two people. So what this means is the human population everywhere on Earth was 0 except for this one place that had two people; and you thought Mayberry was bad!!!
Yes, and, fortunately for us, they very quickly got very busy. Now if they could have just avoided the whole sin thing....

Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
^ Whatever helps you guys go to sleep at night. I don't know how accurate projections for the census back then were, I remember learning Philadelphia & Boston each were the largest cities at one point, I guess before the 1970 census. Even Jamestown & Charleston were major cities at one point.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
^ Whatever helps you guys go to sleep at night. I don't know how accurate projections for the census back then were, I remember learning Philadelphia & Boston each were the largest cities at one point, I guess before the 1970 census. Even Jamestown & Charleston were major cities at one point.
NYC has always been the largest city in America (since the first census in 1790). Now prior to that America was the English colonies and yes I heard that Philadelphia and Boston were the largest cities at different times. So when we were England NYC wasn't the largest city.

Since the first English settlers landed in Jamestown, VA in 1607 it would make sense that for a while after this Jamestown was the largest English settlement. By 1607 the Spanish had already been in Florida for decades.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, and, fortunately for us, they very quickly got very busy. Now if they could have just avoided the whole sin thing....
I can't say I blame them for sinning. I like apples too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City